Stock harmonic balancer help

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
The stock harmonic balancer on my 2004 Mach failed last year so I replaced it with an OEM replacement from the parts store. Since I've replaced it the battery isn't charging correctly. It has a new alternator and battery, it's only putting out around 12.5 volts. The battery reads the same.

The stock pulley is about 5.5" across and the new pulley is around 7". I ordered a 2nd one recently which was the same size both showed OEM replacement. Ford no longer makes the stock pulley any one know where I can get a pulley that isn't an underdrive pulley?

Any help is much appreciated.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
there are aftermarket pieces out there - innovators west, ati etc... I want to say Summit has a cheaper brand as well. Not that it really matters but these are just vibration dampeners, they're internally balanced.

If a bigger crank pulley makes more boost it's spinning the blower faster, shouldn't it be spinning the alternator faster then? I thought under drive pulleys gave you a smaller crank pulley and bigger accessory pullies.

Was the alternator replaced before or after the crank pulley and what alternator? A lot of these rebuilds/remans (even OE) are bad out of the box

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
I've never messed with pulley sizes so I'll have to read up on them.

The crank pulley was replaced first. I took a reading of the original alternator of around 12.5. I replaced it with a Duralast alternator. It reads right around 12.5 as well. That's why I'm coming to the conclusion of the pulley being the issue.

Also, it's a new battery as well.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I've never messed with pulley sizes so I'll have to read up on them.

The crank pulley was replaced first. I took a reading of the original alternator of around 12.5. I replaced it with a Duralast alternator. It reads right around 12.5 as well. That's why I'm coming to the conclusion of the pulley being the issue.

Also, it's a new battery as well.

how are you measuring voltage - with a meter at the battery or something connected to the OBD2?

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
Multimeter at the battery and the alternator.
The battery is reading pretty much what the alternator is reading.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Multimeter at the battery and the alternator.
The battery is reading pretty much what the alternator is reading.

question was mainly because there is frequently a decent variance on the OBD 2 readout, it might show .5 less than at the battery (ie 13 at the battery becomes 12.5 via obd2)

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Bigger crank pulley would spin the alternator faster. The pulley isn't your issue. I'd get the alternator load tested. New doesn't mean good.

Users who are viewing this thread