Stock shocks on a 03-04 cobra

562cobra

Hlistr_07RR ftl
Established Member
:shrug: i read somewhere that the termy came with bilstein shocks. I wanted to know if its true. thanks Im new here

562cobra

Hlistr_07RR ftl
Established Member
:rockon: yes. i heard that they last a lifetime and are the best shocks to buy not only for a termy but for every performing car out there. is that also true?

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
56203cobra said:
:rockon: yes. i heard that they last a lifetime and are the best shocks to buy not only for a termy but for every performing car out there. is that also true?
Well I don't know about all that but they are a damn fine shock. Very nice ride with handling when you need it. I wouldn't hesitate to use them on other vehicles.

divided

Established Member
So then is it ok to replace just the springs and NOT the shocks? What are some stiffere than stock springs?

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
divided said:
So then is it ok to replace just the springs and NOT the shocks? What are some stiffere than stock springs?
The only springs I would bother to do on these cars is H&R race. Coilovers are considered to be the best setup but cost significantly more because you have to change over all the struts/shocks and other supporting mods.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
divided said:
Yes. Most do this. Thats what I run, stock shocks/ struts, H&R race w/ stock isos.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
04MystiCobra said:
Yes. Most do this. Thats what I run, stock shocks/ struts, H&R race w/ stock isos.
Whoops thanks for answering his question, which I for some reason, ignored :sleeping:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Stock shocks and springs here...

And no plans on changing them. I just run a little more negative camber at the track to keep the tire flat on the ground since sticky (used)race rubber and hard cornering does lean the car more than a stiffly sprung car.

I drive it a lot on the street and I like the compromise the SVT guys came up with. Plus It leaves more money for fuel, tires, pads, entry fees, and motels.

I just am a little more careful with weight transitions so as not to upset the "plant" of the car.

:beer:

beabout

Established Member
Springs and shocks are matched to each other. Changing one to other than the specification that it came with requires a change in shocks. That is to say that the spring rate or specification is matched by shock rated for the rate. If you lower or change the springs you must consider if the shocks are rated for that spring.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
jmproductions said:
The only springs I would bother to do on these cars is H&R race. Coilovers are considered to be the best setup but cost significantly more because you have to change over all the struts/shocks and other supporting mods.

If you have a coupe you don't need to change the shocks when going to MM coilovers, unless you want more agressive spring rates.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
If you have a coupe you don't need to change the shocks when going to MM coilovers
My bad again, not doing too good on this thread am I? I thought you had to use the shocks with the slots for the coil-over perches? I know MM sells 2 different versions of each shock.

wheelhopper

Established Member
You can send your original shocks to MM and they will groove them to make them useable w/ their coilover kit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread