[Strange clutch issue] Progressively stiff pedal, can't shift above 6k rpms

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
I was racing over the weekend when this problem started out of nowhere.

I noticed the clutch pedal got VERY stiff after a few pumps. I thought I might have got the boiled the fluid so I let the car cool off and drove it home. The next morning I changed out the fluid with no change in the behavior.

If I'm just cruising around and shifting it below 3,000 rpms it acts fine. As soon as I bring the rpms above 3000 the problem starts up immediately. Within 2 or 3 shifts, the pedal is so stiff that I'm afraid the hydraulic line is going to explode or something.

I absolutely cannot shift the car above 6000 without being locked out until the rpms come back to 3000 or so.

Any thoughts on the issue? I'm debating taking it in for service and having the dealer fix/figure it out, or just going ahead and putting in a boss clutch since I understand they work better at higher rpms.

Thanks in advance

Angry50

Established Member
my only thought would be the fluid as well. if you bleed and swapped the fluid i could only guess the clutch. i would see about getting the dealership to replace it. Are you modded pretty heavy?

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
my only thought would be the fluid as well. if you bleed and swapped the fluid i could only guess the clutch. i would see about getting the dealership to replace it. Are you modded pretty heavy?

I change the fluid about once or twice per month. I'm used to changing it coming from the corvette world where it's the same issue with the fluid being dirty.

Not modded heavily at all, I just don't like the idea of the dealer tearing into a brand new car. I'm hoping to diagnose it/fix it myself.

Angry50

Established Member
if you dont want to deal with the dealer i would see about an aftermarket clutch. but i try to save money where i can. plus if you replace the clutch and the issues is something else. are you using DOT4?

tangerine

Established Member
I had a turbo 4.6 with the same problem. Pressure plate is going out. Go ahead and swap for an aftermarket or a boss clutch

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Thanks Jim. That's what I'm afraid of.. I'd like a little more diagnostics before ordering a boss clutch. I don't want the dealer touching the car. Cbr has had nothing but issues with them and I'm more anal than he is. It'll suck to pay for a clutch on a car with 2800 miles but it will suck even more to have some 19 year old kid hot rodding my car trying to "repeat" the issue.

Fabbed5.0

Established Member
Take it to walker ford and have ray do the work. Or take it to autoway ford and have Yander do it. Both will do it right.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Take it to walker ford and have ray do the work. Or take it to autoway ford and have Yander do it. Both will do it right.

Will other dealers perform warranty work if you didn't purchase the vehicle from them? I feel like they would tell me to go back to Brandon Ford

5PNTSLW

Back on the Saddle
Established Member
You have a ford warranty, a ford dealer will honor it as long as it hasn't been void previously and they can support the repairs needed. This is a clip from the 13' warranty guide:

When you need warranty repairs, your selling dealer would like you to
return to it for that service, but you may also take your vehicle to
another Ford Motor Company dealership authorized for warranty repairs.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WODMUS/~MUS~LEN/41/13frdwa3e.pdf << guide

BMR Tech

That is no fun.

I would take Jim's advice and take it to one of those dealerships. My advice, is to try and duplicate the issue with them. I had to do that with my SVT Focus back in like 2005, the clutch pedal would fall and stick to the floor, but when I took it in they would say "could not duplicate" every single time. Finally, the 3rd time, I drove the car with the tech until it happened. They immediately fixed the issue, and ended up also fixing the tune issue that I had tried to get them to "duplicate" 3 times previously as well.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread