Strange ends?

termcobra281

Established Member
Hey seeing if anyone out there has ever did a 8.8 with strange 9 inch ends? I want to buy a rear end off a guy that has one built. Question is there anyway of running oem brake brackets on the strange 9 inch ends, or is there a kit to make it work? Or do I have to run the strange brake kit to make it work? thanks for any help..

FIREBALL

Established Member

96dreamer

Established Member
You can run the factory brake brackets. You have to have the factory bracket machined to accept the bearing as well as slid over the axle when it is installed. I currently have the same setup on my car. I don't think I have any pictures right now though.

termcobra281

Established Member
You can run the factory brake brackets. You have to have the factory bracket machined to accept the bearing as well as slid over the axle when it is installed. I currently have the same setup on my car. I don't think I have any pictures right now though.
Thanks. So is it cost effective? I think the strange brake set up is around 650. Who machines the bracket?

termcobra281

Established Member
Not sure if your going to get a straight answer , but here are a couple links that may help.

Yup, I seen those... I like to use my factory set up for now. I may go with those later down the road since they are 4 piston calibers

96dreamer

Established Member
The shop that set up my rear end did it for me. this was 10+ years ago and the shop has since closed up. As far as cost effective I would say it's hard to beat. You don't need to buy anything additional. I think I had to add a washer to the caliper mount to space everything out correctly. So call it 80 cents plus whatever a shop would charge to modify the brackets. I would think a shop that is accustomed to building custom 8.8 rear ends would have seen this done before.

96dreamer

Established Member
Found a picture of when I had the axle out to replace a leaky bearing.

Attachments

• 20200803_202729.jpg
    20200803_202729.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 51

termcobra281

Established Member
Found a picture of when I had the axle out to replace a leaky bearing.
nice. thanks for the input. I done some research and looks like strange now offers the bracket to run oem stuff. It runs around 190 for the brackets. Should save me around 450 or so. I may end up in the future doing the strange 4 piston set up on rears and the ATS cadillac conversion on the fronts. That combo should help me stop.

96dreamer

Established Member
For what it's worth i have the ats front calipers and 43mm taurus rear caliper and it stops great. Pedal feel fine also.

FIREBALL

Established Member
Not to hijack this thread, but this is the first Ive heard of taurus rear calipers, how much of an upgrade and do they fit 2001 cobra and with 17" rims and same emergency cable hook up?

96dreamer

Established Member
Not to hijack this thread, but this is the first Ive heard of taurus rear calipers, how much of an upgrade and do they fit 2001 cobra and with 17" rims and same emergency cable hook up?

It's physically the same size and bolts up the the factory bracket. It just has a 43mm vs a 38mm piston for a little more clamping force. Came on the mid 90s Taurus I believe

FIREBALL

Established Member
It's physically the same size and bolts up the the factory bracket. It just has a 43mm vs a 38mm piston for a little more clamping force. Came on the mid 90s Taurus I believe
Thanks, any specific year and does the emergency cable hook up the same?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Thanks, any specific year and does the emergency cable hook up the same?
Look up the rear caliper for a 2000 Taurus. Everything bolts/hooks up the same. There's a lot of info about it in the ATS Caliper thread in the Terminator section if you get bored at work.

FIREBALL

Established Member

Look up the rear caliper for a 2000 Taurus. Everything bolts/hooks up the same. There's a lot of info about it in the ATS Caliper thread in the Terminator section if you get bored at work.

Mid 90s caliper and 2000 caliper have different part numbers and look a little different??

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Mid 90s caliper and 2000 caliper have different part numbers and look a little different??
93-98 according to the thread I mentioned.

FIREBALL

Established Member
Just asking about the rear taurus (not ats brembos) calipers and what years work-----so from searches on other sites it looks like the rear Taurus 93-98 work and from what I can tell they fit the mustang rear bracket?? so I would just need the calipers and not the brackets?--------Im not bored at work, LoL

termcobra281

Established Member
Awesome info guys. I have never heard of the taurus rear brake set up. Sounds like a cool budget set up. Will it fit 15 inch wheels?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Just asking about the rear taurus (not ats brembos) calipers and what years work-----so from searches on other sites it looks like the rear Taurus 93-98 work and from what I can tell they fit the mustang rear bracket?? so I would just need the calipers and not the brackets?--------Im not bored at work, LoL
I know. But it's in that thread. A lot of talk about the Taurus calipers happens around page 42 or 43. That's where I found the years.
Awesome info guys. I have never heard of the taurus rear brake set up. Sounds like a cool budget set up. Will it fit 15 inch wheels?
I'm sure you'll still have to grind on things to get the 15" wheels to fit.

Users who are viewing this thread