Strange

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
So my wife used the Ford dealer installed remote starter on our 2011 Edge last night. I got in and without thinking put it in gear and started home. Got 8 miles before the ignition shut off, right in the middle of heavy traffic. Previous cars would immediately shut down until you put in the key and restart.

Couldn't reproduce the behavior. Could it be the MySync programming?

Jack Burton

Established Member
So my wife used the Ford dealer installed remote starter on our 2011 Edge last night. I got in and without thinking put it in gear and started home. Got 8 miles before the ignition shut off, right in the middle of heavy traffic. Previous cars would immediately shut down until you put in the key and restart.

Couldn't reproduce the behavior. Could it be the MySync programming?

Def strange. I could see how it could be a huge safety risk (such as a child climbing into the car and putting it into gear). Makes it more odd that you couldn't reproduce it. Have you tried digging around google to see if you could find any similar stories?

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member
I have a 2011 Edge... However mine came with remote start stock. The system does shut itself off after 10-15 minutes (whatever you have it set to) if you have not pressed the start button.

This could be an issue where the car doesn't realize that it has been started or something and is shutting down after 10-15 minutes.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
I have a 2011 Edge... However mine came with remote start stock. The system does shut itself off after 10-15 minutes (whatever you have it set to) if you have not pressed the start button.

This could be an issue where the car doesn't realize that it has been started or something and is shutting down after 10-15 minutes.

I'll look through the settings, but up to now have seen nothing about a variable delay to shutoff when using remote start. Since Micro$oft did the programming, it's probably buried in some weird sub-menu.

Postscript: can't find any related settings. Dealer says, "shouldn't have happened".

svtdiesel

Established Member
if your system has a seperate remote to start veh its probally a loose crimp on the wire for the brake input. If its not ever seeing the input on the brake it ownt shut off and just timed out

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hope you get the dealer to replace it Harry. Usually dealers won't replace a part if they cannot duplicate the issue. I would keep trying to get it to happen again. At least then you'd have a better shot at getting the remote starter replaced. JMO.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Hope you get the dealer to replace it Harry. Usually dealers won't replace a part if they cannot duplicate the issue. I would keep trying to get it to happen again. At least then you'd have a better shot at getting the remote starter replaced. JMO.

This is the type of "failure" I can live with. Now that we know about it, we can avoid the dangerous situation of the vehicle shutting off in traffic. Basically, the car is locked when we use remote start, we have no young children, and I don't forsee any real danger.

Our dealer is very conscientious. I've bought over 20 cars from them.

Users who are viewing this thread