street race

gucci

00BlkLght
Established Member
i was just wondering how you guys run them. i know how to run with a stick but not the automatic L. any input?

SVTBeatdown13

Travis Barker Jr.
Established Member
O/D off all the time for WOT. I wouldn't reccomend manually shifting unless you plan on paying for a new tranny soon.

SVTBeatdown13

Travis Barker Jr.
Established Member
yet is your key word there lol. If it helps and you havent had any problems more power to you I just wouldnt reccommend it.

PhLoBuS

JDM/KB Lightning
Established Member
Yeah I would not recommend manually shifting it but definetly keep OD off unless going above 115 mph.

s|ck

Established Member
I always hit it right before the 3rd honk when roll racing against a manual car. I've manually shift it a couple of times but very rarely.

Also always turn Overdrive OFF and try to go from a speed below 40mph.

latemodelracer2

Boosted Beyond bolt ons
Established Member
I'll second an earlier comment, just predict the 3rd honk. When you gas it the car is going to then go this giving you the time to get kicked down to be a fair race.

dizzygoat

Established Member
i go from 6th to third on a 60 roll...but i have six speeds yo!!
^^^ that was gay i know. I always heard not to do 2 gear kickdowns, or manually shift an auto. So i say go from a dig, or no more than a 40 roll with OD OFF....and always go on the second hunk!!
But this is coming from someone who doesnt condone street racing....on sundays :)

MMShaggy

10 Second Club
Established Member
I always hit it right before the 3rd honk when roll racing against a manual car. I've manually shift it a couple of times but very rarely.

Also always turn Overdrive OFF and try to go from a speed below 40mph.

+1 learned that the hard way vs a Cobra. was waiting till I heard the 3rd honk. by the time you hear it, floor it, and the truck starts to move, the other person is already left ya in the dust.

Pretty much right after you hear the 2nd honk, floor it, by the time it downshifts and gets you moving, the 3rd honk has already gone off.

I just put OD off.
Leave it in Drive.

Example
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC4YZCZq5ww&feature=channel_page]YouTube - Cobra vs Lightning - Street[/ame]

ecoastkid

Established Member
as soon as the gas is on the floor in 2nd, move the selector into D and let it shift according to the shift schedule. Dont try to wind it out yourself.

knkfiend

Professional Exploder
Established Member
+1 on the going on the second honk. works out just about perfectly. as for speeds, from a 30 roll my truck will shift into first, and from ~55, it will go into second. with it being winter time (~30*) on a 30 roll it will break the tires loose if it isnt on a nice piece of road:rolling:

SADF

Established Member
I highly recommend not manually shifting. Also, I love having 0/D off when cruising (for the sound and feel)... is this safe?

knkfiend

Professional Exploder
Established Member
I highly recommend not manually shifting. Also, I love having 0/D off when cruising (for the sound and feel)... is this safe?

see that gas has come down considerably, it would be safe. two months ago it would not be, as your wallet might catch your ass on fire from using too much gas.

:burn:

fuzzydice

White Hot Lightning
Established Member
correct me if im wrong, but ive heard its bad to go WOT in an L with O/D off
puts a bigger load and stress on the motor and tranny...............

and i wouldnt manually use the gears, just hit it on the 2nd honk

Users who are viewing this thread