Street racing.....

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
I know most of us here have read threads on how fast they have gone in their cars...who and what they have beat or lost to, and how a few of them have destroyed their cars because of brain farts while behind the wheel. Maybe this will give us all cause for pause...

Last week in Chandler, early one morning a Corvette and a bike squared off on Arizona Avenue. While packing the mail down a 5 lane surface street with a 45 mph speed limit, a car pulled out onto the surface street in front of them. He had plenty of room....if they had been driving anywhere near the speed limit. And at that distance in the dark of the early morning, he had no way of telling how fast they were going. To make a long story short, the guy that pulled out is ok...but was seriously hurt. The guy in the Corvette was very lucky. As reported, he was treated and released and immediately arrested and put in jail. The guy on the bike? Well, he was DOA. He didn't have a chance.

The guy in the 'Vette will have to live the rest of his life knowing he was part of killing another human being and will spend time in prison because of it. His life will never be the same...nor will that of his family. It's a tragedy that could have...and should have...been avoided.

Please think twice the next time you get that urge to feel the need for speed. It could be your last. You just don't have control of what goes on around you like at a race track.

Last edited:

alanw6

The gauge pod guy
Established Member
Very good post, even if it makes someone think for a moment it could save a life (or more).

One of my very first pillar customers (2003 Cobra) was racing another 2003 Cobra and the same thing happened. A car pulled out, and there was no chance of stopping. This young man hit the car broadside, killing the driver instantly. Both he, and the young man he was racing, must now endure not only a (likely) lengthy prison sentence but also the a lifetime of knowing they took a life in a foolish act.

These cars are meant to go fast, but please keep it at the track or (at the very least) find ABANDONED roads to have a little fun. For me, there's a nice little road in a rural part of my county which has nothing but cotton fields on both sides with a 2 mile unobstructed forward view. A quick run up to the top of third, and I'm off the gas. Any more than that, and it's at Memphis Motorsports Park for this guy...

MTI LS1

Racing in a 45mph zone......... theres the mistake. I certainly agree that it is not the safest thing to do and certainly can end the way this story did. Its a tragedy that it happened.

However, if you are semi-intelligent it is not difficult to know where to go fast and where not to go fast.

MJR_TRBL

Established Member
Racing in a residential area or 45mph zone = STUPID

There are way more intelligent places to carry that sort of behavior. I am just glad to here that the guy who pulled out is ok.

mustang john

Established Member
I quit street racing years ago. Besides the tickets and losing your car, the chances of something like that happening are too great. The local track is 25 min away and only 15 bucks to race, wasnt a hard decision to make. Just my .02

MTI LS1

mustang john said:
I quit street racing years ago. Besides the tickets and losing your car, the chances of something like that happening are too great. The local track is 25 min away and only 15 bucks to race, wasnt a hard decision to make. Just my .02

Some people dont have a track that close to them and I guess that is why they street race more?

Wizardrex

THE BIG RED SEXY
Established Member
Once governments realize street racing is in part a problem because of the lack of tracks they might consider building one as they do with skate parks. Easily maintained by enterance fees, vendors, and advertising. It's not that it can not be done it's that they don't care. If anyone says it's too expensive to build a race track than you have just put a value on human life

WHITESVTCOBRA

Established Member
It's sad to say but even if their were "Car parks" so to say with places to do everything we do on the street it still wouldnt stop street racing. Street racing gives you that extra little bit of adrenaline that you get knowning that you have a chance of getting caught or getting in a accident....I'm not saying street racing is good I'm just pointing out the facts.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
It was a bad few days for 'Vettes in my area. Saturday morning, my neighbor in his C5 cut it too close pulling out of the subdivision and was hit by a young gal in what looked like a Toyota Camry. That damn Frog exploded!! But I was absolutely amazed at how it folded up AROUND the driver. He walked away...as did the young lady. Air bags...you gotta love 'em at times like this.

Marc

Established Member
Is is not worth it no matter how you look at it. I used to do it many years ago and learned my lesson with a near miss. That was back when 13 second street cars were considered fast. Heck, people have 9 second every daily drivers...imagine that street racing and the speed.

SpectorV

Established Member
people may think im scared or what not but I dont street race, I may accel a bit fast from time to time for the fun of it but I do my best to not break the speed limit and be careful, its simply NOT worth the risk.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I find in my area that people pull out regardless. I have had a few full times where the idiot just pulls out in my lane and I have to fully apply the brakes (and the horn as well). I have been able to avoid contact because of driving a the speed limit or less.

Last edited:

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
Wizardrex said:
Once governments realize street racing is in part a problem because of the lack of tracks they might consider building one as they do with skate parks. Easily maintained by enterance fees, vendors, and advertising. It's not that it can not be done it's that they don't care. If anyone says it's too expensive to build a race track than you have just put a value on human life

Couldn't have said it better myself. While it wouldn't eliminate street racing, it would give people an outlet and something productive to do with all of these high HP cars, at least reducing the chances.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Many community police departments are working with local tracks to open up several nights a week to offer a place for racers to go. High School drags are becoming very popular. The racers learn about safety issues and how to pass tech. It's a great way to get races off the street. But still, there will ALWAYS be someone who pulls up along side you on the street and wants to square off. It's up to you to ignore him.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
BigZach said:
Racing in a 45mph zone......... theres the mistake. I certainly agree that it is not the safest thing to do and certainly can end the way this story did. Its a tragedy that it happened.

However, if you are semi-intelligent it is not difficult to know where to go fast and where not to go fast.
I disagree. ANY racing on public streets is stupid IMO. The word "public street" means it doesn't belong to two guys/gals squaring off to see who is faster. I know there are those here who disagree and that's their right, but the bottom line is that it is illegal and potentially dangerous with deadly consequences. It only takes an instant for an unwary other driver to pull in front of two racers (as was the case here) or a pedestrian who is hard of hearing to walk out into the street. There are tracks all around the country specifically designed to provide a safe racing venue for those inclined. If you race on a public street you're being irresponsible and might have to face the same consequences as this guy will. Something he most definitely will have to live with for the rest of his life. Then again, life is not held as high as it once was, so I guess there will always be those who will say that it's just the other guy's bad luck, and be devoid of a conscious sorrow for the deceased along with the acceptance of responsibility for being a part of that life being lost.

Here's a question for those who might disagree with my comments and those of others against street racing. If you had a 16 year old daughter who you knew was a passenger in a car that was racing on a public street at a top speed in excess of 120mph, would you let her just do it again, or would you put a quick stop to it? If so, why would you stop her? For fear of her safety? Or the safety of others? I rest my case!

Users who are viewing this thread