Street tires/Open track use

Mobil1Mach

Established Member
I'm currently running BFG KDW 275/40/18s on all four corners. However, I believe one of my tires is defective and is causing the car to pull left under deceleration. The car has been realigned over and over and each time I've been told "its the tires." I picked up the tires used with my 00R wheels but they appeared to be in excellent condition with lots of tread left.

So my issue is this - I need new tires that I can drive to and from the track on but that are going to give me decent performance once I'm there. Recommendations?

Mobil1Mach

Established Member
Flipped them, the problem flipped with them.

The KDWs came with my wheels. My plan has been to use them up but the pulling left has changed that plan.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Looks like you've done the work. Lots of folks just want to throw money at a problem and then when that doesn't fix it, then they ask the necessary questions.

DocB

Established Member
Street tires are for the street.
Track tires are for the track.

However, you might want to consider the R888 as a good all around compromise, if you must.

Mobil1Mach

Established Member

However, you might want to consider the R888 as a good all around compromise, if you must.

Agreed but I am not in a position to store multiple sets of wheels/tires.

Mobil1Mach

Established Member
Looks like you've done the work. Lots of folks just want to throw money at a problem and then when that doesn't fix it, then they ask the necessary questions.

Believe me, I'd rather spend very little money on an easy fix than put up $1000+ for new tires.

MFE

Established Member
The Hankook RS-3 is widely viewed as a virtual R-compound with real tread. A friend of mine, fellow instructor, drives a 2011 Mustang GT, and I'm usually able to make it hard for him keep up. This last time I was on track with him, I was running NT01 R-comps and I could not keep up with him. I figured he'd also swapped to R-comps. No, he hadn't...he was running Hankook RS-3's. A lot of the local autocrossers are running them too, instead of R-comps, and I'm talking Nationals contenders, not joe schmoe out on a Sunday afternoon.

Here's video of me trying to keep up with the Mustang I mentioned. Even when traffic cleared, I couldn't catch him, and that's not usually the case. NASA FIR West night event Warner.wmv - YouTube

Last edited:

KILRSVT

Established Member

I have R888 can't stand how delicate they are with tire pressure they like running lower tire pressures thinking of selling them and getting NT-05 cant find the tire size I want with NT-01

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
I used to have bridgstone RE11's on my 18" saleens and now run RE01R's (older version) on my cobra R's. Both tires are great and don't really require too much fire pressure adjustment. I usually set them around 32-33psi cold and run them like that all day. On e these wear down I plan to try out the RS3's.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Flipped them, the problem flipped with them.

The KDWs came with my wheels. My plan has been to use them up but the pulling left has changed that plan.

Since they are all the same size did you move them front to back?

If it is on the front moving it to the rear should not affect it pulling.

In all my years fooling with tires/alignments I never came across one causing pulling only on decel.
Not saying it can't but just strange.

What are your alignment specs?

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Agree. Next time you're at the track, if you have four sessions, try it on all four corners.

Might even have the tire flipped on the wheel. Maybe they'll see in not beaded in properly.

Users who are viewing this thread