Streetbike vs 03/04 cobra opinions

coremaster21

Established Member
Hey Svtperformance, I am a 20 year old in the military and I wanted everyone's opinion on this to help me decide and hear what you guys think. I currently drive a 2004 350z and I have been dreaming and thinking about getting a terminator for about 3 years now, recently some of my friends got into the motorcycle game and I was thinking about dropping the idea of a cobra and instead buying a Suzuki GSXR-600. What do you guys think about this? Has anyone tried both and if so which do you like better? I know it comes down to preference but I would love to hear what you guys think, thanks!

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Do you have a secure place to keep it?

Honestly, you have to question your maturity for a bike.
You can get in trouble very fast, especially when you don't truly know the limits of your bike
Odds are if your friends have bikes and you get one, you'll be doing something stupid at one point, but you wouldn't have a seat belt or a metal cage to save your ass if you get in a bad situation.

Zemedici

Established Member
Drove an 04 350z before buying my cobra

Sold my cobra to buy the 2015 I currently drive

Bought a ZX-10 around Christmas.

Bikes are cheap, just make sure you have the self control to keep it shiny side up, cuz there's a reason insurance is so expensive on motorcycles

Entirely up to you brotha. How do your friends ride? Are they halfway controlled or are they idiots/squids? If they're idiots I'd do the smart thing and stay away from them, cuz peer pressure is a bad thing and could get you or one of them hurt. And that's never good.

coremaster21

Established Member
I am on base so that is pretty secure, but it would just sit in a parking lot with a cover on it. My friends just got into riding as well but they ride beginner bikes, 250's and 300's, I would be the first with a super sport. Zemedici which would you say you enjoy riding/driving more, the cobra or the bike?

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Friends and superbikes on the street? Sounds dangerous. Catch me if you can...and the one upsmanship thing. Can you resist? Then again cruising in a pack of Terminators can get out of hand also...but you've got a "cage" and 4 wheels. When I road my cafe bike many years ago I tended to out drive the road surface. Immaturity on my part of course. Always pushing too hard. Can't imagine driving a superbike with twice the hp and the constant temptation to drop a knee. You can cruise a Terminator (enjoy driving slow) but cruising clip ons...not so much. Of course, little can replace the joy of biking. Would you do track days with the bike? A safer place to really enjoy the bike.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Fact is OP, you can die driving or riding anything. And it might not be your fault, but that doesn't matter.

I'm 23 and have had four bikes now (all sport bikes), with none of them being less than 600cc. I didn't truly mess up until I was on my Hayabusa. Broke my own rule of not ****ing off in unfamiliar territory and almost paid for it with my life. Bottom line, bikes are cheap and so is the the appropriate gear to remain as safe as humanly possible. Invest in it if you start riding. And not shortly after you start, but once you determine that's for sure the route you wanna go. I also highly recommend an MSF class, but I don't know how that works with military commitments and all.

Good luck and be safe whichever route you decide on. :beer:

RTR GHIG

Established Member
Nothing can beat the feeling of a sport bike. Like someone else said earlier, you can die on a bike, or in a car. When it's your time, it's your time. Just respect the bike, and everything it has to offer.

G04cobra

Established Member
I had a bike before my cobra. Its all personal preference, as much as I enjoyed my bike I don't regret getting the cobra.

bokyo1987

Established Member
You're probably still in training being in San Angelo. I suggest you take in consideration where you'll be going next before making a decision. Are you keeping the 350z as a DD?

Blackoyote

Established Member
Do you have extensive background of riding 2 stroke 500 dirt bikes, and you had complete control?

If not, don't start of on a SS. Be smart like your friends and start off on an R3. 20 year old military personnel + lack of experience + 600CC (and up) = Almost guaranteed in a ditch.

nxhappy

Established Member
Do you have extensive background of riding 2 stroke 500 dirt bikes, and you had complete control?

If not, don't start of on a SS. Be smart like your friends and start off on an R3. 20 year old military personnel + lack of experience + 600CC (and up) = Almost guaranteed in a ditch.

listen to this man. He is wise.

I hope this isn't your first street motorcycle. If it is, I highly advise NOT to get a 600rr bike. For a first bike a Ninja 300 is a perfect bike.

coremaster21

Established Member
If I were to get the cobra then I would have to sell the 350z and I would daily the cobra. I have been riding dirtbikes and atvs a good majority of my life so I have some experience on motorcycles. I think I am leaning more towards the motorcyce

_Snake_

Established Member
Hey Svtperformance, I am a 20 year old in the military and I wanted everyone's opinion on this to help me decide and hear what you guys think. I currently drive a 2004 350z and I have been dreaming and thinking about getting a terminator for about 3 years now, recently some of my friends got into the motorcycle game and I was thinking about dropping the idea of a cobra and instead buying a Suzuki GSXR-600. What do you guys think about this? Has anyone tried both and if so which do you like better? I know it comes down to preference but I would love to hear what you guys think, thanks!

This is deja-vu for me. Let's rewind back to 2001.....I was 28 years old, on active duty, and had a highly modded 1998 ZX-6R. I sold it to a 20 year old Marine who was in a situation very similar to yours (new rider, bought a 600cc bike to ride with his friends, etc). He picked the bike up on a Friday evening, and I spoke with him at length about being cautious. My exact words: "Don't ride with your buddies for a while. They're more experienced and can hit the turns much faster than you. You'll end up trying to catch up to them on the straights and get in over your head way faster than you ever thought." Monday morning he approached me at work.....on crutches. Sunday evening he was out riding with his friends and failed to negotiate a turn. The bike was totaled and his check for his first insurance payment was literally in the mail. Again, very lucky for him.

My advice? Follow your dream and get the Termi.

cbj5259

Established Member
Having cleaned my fair share of brains off the roadway...go with four wheels instead of two. Very rarely is any accident involving a motorcycle "minor".

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Don't care for bikes at all. So you know my vote. Do what "you" want, not something just because you're friends are.

Users who are viewing this thread