Stroker '03 Cobra SHM Prepared

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Well,

Got to see DavidMax's SHM Prepared Stroker Motor '03 Cobra at the Pavillion's last night. Went for a ride in the beast and it is impressive.

5.2L, all aluminum, ATI Pro-Charger that was pushing 15-16lbs at 6400 RPM. 6pt. roll cage, subframe connectors, ladder bars, 4.10 rear gears, 18 inch rims w/ BFG KD's on 'em. (265 Front, 295 Rear)
Rear seat delete.

Car has been lowered but I am not sure how much.

I am going to throw some pictures on here that I snapped this morning.

In the background you can see David's Z06 sitting in the garage. Got a ride in that little beast three weeks ago and it is an animal as well.

Had a great time hanging out with Steve, Matt, Chad, and Wes. (Wes drove 5 hours to get there).

Enjoy the pictures.

Last edited:

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Last one.

It was a good time... David is always a great host. A lot of fun talking with him about many diverse subjects. It will be real interesting to see what his Cobra turns on the Dyno and track. Interesting combination that still needs more dialing and tweaking. I thought his exhaust was a lot more quiet (tho it is 3" complete) than my Magnaflows. Not sure what mufflers he had on it. Was running thru the cats tho.

Hats off to all the '03 brothers. We need to get together again.

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
He hasn't had it on the Dyno down in Phoenix yet. So I don't think he has any numbers on the car. He just got it back from Canada this week and has been busy working thru little tweaks etc. Seat of the pants feel, it is a LOT stronger than my '03 and I'm 448/453 hp/tq at the rear wheels.

Smrgol

I think that's a really cool setup.

But what an expensive way to go. I mean he scrapped everything that made the '03 different (and more expensive) than the '99 or '01 but some interior pieces, the splitter, and the spoiler. Did the original motor break or something?

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
I should let Dave describe all this... bottom line is... Dave and Sean Hyland are "associates". So some of what they are doing with this '03 is developmental in nature. Trying things to see what works what doesn't etc. The result of what they find makes its way back to Ford.

I find it interesting that they have a 5.2L all aluminum motor (based on the all aluminum 4.6). It wasn't too long ago I heard that Ford was contemplating going back to a modular 5.0. Well if they could take the 4.6 and bore and stroke it to 5.2.. then um... it is a pretty easy leap in logic to say .. they could have made it a 5.0 if they had wanted to.

The ladder bar setup ... some the engine management things they are doing... all interesting things that perhaps will render results etc that will find their way into aftermarket or production products for the rest of us.

No .. his original motor was on the floor of his shop back in Sept/Oct when I got my '03 dyno'd at Xtreme Motorsports. It was removed to make room for the stroker that you see in these pictures.

David marches to his own drummer! Seems he and Sean Hyland share the same taste in music at times. :p

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
wow, I can't believe I finally saw a pic of dave's car! now was that so hard to do? just kidding. Pretty nice. Although its not something that would be worth doing to a daily driver, its still great to see something different. Car looks great dave :thumbsup:

rezcobra

Established Member
Dave said he hasn't had the time to dyno the car on race gas but believed he did say something about 801 hp as set up currently. SHM people said Thursday the car was pushing 778 RWHP. Has a pro stock clutch, shift light set @ 6400 rpm, rev limiter @7500 rpm, 03 6 speed tranny, ported heads. No track times yet. We'll be doing the heads and cams on my 03 in Sept @ the earliest due to amount of cars in Dave's shop. Good to meet you all there in the AZ heat-whew!

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD
wow, I can't believe I finally saw a pic of dave's car! now was that so hard to do? just kidding. Pretty nice. Although its not something that would be worth doing to a daily driver, its still great to see something different. Car looks great dave :thumbsup:

Well considering since it was in Canada until this past week.. AND I drove three hours to Phoenix and stayed over night to take the picture this morning....... there is more to getting these pictures than meets the eye! :coolman:

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Originally posted by rezcobra
Dave said he hasn't had the time to dyno the car on race gas but believed he did say something about 801 hp as set up currently. SHM people said Thursday the car was pushing 778 RWHP. Has a pro stock clutch, shift light set @ 6400 rpm, rev limiter @7500 rpm, 03 6 speed tranny, ported heads. No track times yet. We'll be doing the heads and cams on my 03 in Sept @ the earliest due to amount of cars in Dave's shop. Good to meet you all there in the AZ heat-whew!

Wes,

Was a pleasure to meet you as well. I am sensing a serious '03 get together coming up!

DanTheCobraMan

Established Member
Are those the '99/01 heads on there or are they the 03 heads?? I see that it has the '99/01 intake. I've been trying to find out for the longest time if I could put the 03 heads on my '99.

DanTheCobraMan

Established Member
Sorry, one more thing. How much torque is that thing putting out down low, like say around 1500 to 3000 rpm? I've been hoping that boreing and stroking my 99 to a 5.3 would give me some much need bottom end.

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Originally posted by DanTheCobraMan
Are those the '99/01 heads on there or are they the 03 heads?? I see that it has the '99/01 intake. I've been trying to find out for the longest time if I could put the 03 heads on my '99.

Dan,
For those tech questions better send a PM to davidmax.
I don't know what heads he is using. I know the cams aren't a stock piece tho.

Users who are viewing this thread