Stupid Rear Brake Question

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I just did front and rears on my '99 and I'd bet that what was said earlier about the orientation of the piston may be what you're running into. When we were installing mine we noticed they had to be oriented correctly or the pad would not seat correctly (or at all).

Also, we just used a set of needle nose pliers to rotate the piston and it did seem to take a lot of turns to get it in far enough. So just keep turning it if the piston is oriented correctly and there's not enough room for the pad.

Using pliers would not be my first choice next time unless I had a way to block them from closing all the say because it was over squeezing the pliers that made them pop off the piston more than anything else. I've not used the square tool before but would recommend you have someone to help with anchoring the caliper so you can focus on turning the piston without worrying about stressing any brake lines...that was key for me.

The reason you had to do so many turns on the piston is because a significant amount of pressure must also be supplied during the rotating operation to retract the piston.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread