Su-57 flight demo

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
Definitely a good watch. I’ve always been obsessed with fast cars and fighter jets since I was a kid.

Both of my parents were in the Air Force (where they met) as well as 3 uncles and 4 aunts. I was born on Laughlin AFB in Del Rio Texas.

My 12yr old son and I were watching Top Gun on Amazon Prime the other day. I just showed him the Su-57 doing a pilot induced flat spin and told him if Maverick was flying this, they wouldn’t be cleaning Goose’s brains off the canopy. He told me how wrong it was and then proceeded to high five me while laughing his ass off. That’s my boy.

blk02edge

Established Member
I get to go watch a pair of F-22's do a demo tomorow. Will be my first time seeing something beyond an F-18. And I can't wait.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Definitely a good watch. I’ve always been obsessed with fast cars and fighter jets since I was a kid.

Both of my parents were in the Air Force (where they met) as well as 3 uncles and 4 aunts. I was born on Laughlin AFB in Del Rio Texas.

My 12yr old son and I were watching Top Gun on Amazon Prime the other day. I just showed him the Su-57 doing a pilot induced flat spin and told him if Maverick was flying this, they wouldn’t be cleaning Goose’s brains off the canopy. He told me how wrong it was and then proceeded to high five me while laughing his ass off. That’s my boy.

Before the Super Hornet was a done deal there was a modernization/Refit proposed for the F-14D to make Super Tomcat 21 or ST21, basically make the F14 a better carrier based strike eagle. Most of it was throwing the canceled A-12 "Quickstrike" (A-6E replacement) parts at the F-14D. Part of the refit/new aircraft would be new engines GE F110-129 (based off the GE-F110-53 in later block F-16 and F-15E) making the F-14 capable of supercruise at mach 1.2-1.4 as well as thrust vectoring, along with all new avionics, sensors, and targeting for both air to air and air to ground. ST21 also included possibility of new airframes with more hardpoints and many control surface upgrades. Then there was a plan to apply tech from the Air Forces ATF program (F-22/ YF-23) to the Super Tomcat and create an entirely new aircraft The ASF-14, but in the end the F/A-18E/F were cheaper.
I'm just trying to imagine that big girl (F-14D) dancing, using thrust vectoring.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
Before the Super Hornet was a done deal there was a modernization/Refit proposed for the F-14D to make Super Tomcat 21 or ST21, basically make the F14 a better carrier based strike eagle. Most of it was throwing the canceled A-12 "Quickstrike" (A-6E replacement) parts at the F-14D. Part of the refit/new aircraft would be new engines GE F110-129 (based off the GE-F110-53 in later block F-16 and F-15E) making the F-14 capable of supercruise at mach 1.2-1.4 as well as thrust vectoring, along with all new avionics, sensors, and targeting for both air to air and air to ground. ST21 also included possibility of new airframes with more hardpoints and many control surface upgrades. Then there was a plan to apply tech from the Air Forces ATF program (F-22/ YF-23) to the Super Tomcat and create an entirely new aircraft The ASF-14, but in the end the F/A-18E/F were cheaper.
I'm just trying to imagine that big girl (F-14D) dancing, using thrust vectoring.
I’ve honestly never been a fan of the F/A-18 and it’s variants as I loved the F/14 and the ST21 seemed to be a better option but I’m assuming cost came into play or contract rigging.

The F-15 was undefeated in air combat and more than capable as an attacker. It simply aged out as the platforms required too much maintenance and the existing air frames couldn’t handle the stress of high g maneuvers any longer. The F-22 was and is an absolute waste of money and the DOD now knows it. This should have been its replacement (Boeing: F-15EX) but will now simply “support” the overly expensive, problem plagued F-22. I guess you have to validate your budget somehow though.

Don’t get me going on the F-35 either. The US Air Force Quietly Admits the F-35 Is a Failure - ExtremeTech

Last edited:

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
The F-22s problem was they cut production and lost the tooling well before they could become reasonable. Unlike the F-35 they can actually dogfight, but with less than 200 made it's not going to be around long enough to justify the ATF program. I expect them to be retired then destroyed by 2030 as they will simply run out of airframes and parts. Like the poor B-1B crews raiding static aircraft at museums for parts to keep the BONE going (even parts from the B-1A!).

I hope the Japanese plan to develop the YF-23 using sensors and the latest avionics from the F-35 comes to fruition, and the US buys them instead of more F35s. As they had a faster supercruise, as good if not better dogfighting and a lower radar cross section than the F-22. The fact the F-35 can only take a minute or two of afterburner before the RAM and vertical stabilizers become damaged, and the fix was to limit the afterburner to 90 sec seems like a bean counter move, what you expect on a jack of all trades and a master of none... It's a repeat of the sins of the century series fighters, but at least it has a gun...
Now as long as they have stealth they will be birddogs for the F-15EX loaded up with a truckload of AIM-120C/D.
Thats the other fun part on the EX, they are all 2 seaters and will be replacing the single seat F-15Cs (who's airframes are just plain worn out) and the USAF is just planing on transitioning the singe seat Eagle pilots to flying with just one pilot in a 2 seater EX.

As for Russians they really like the IRST on their aircraft and it can defeat steath at least at close ranges, possibly longer. (The last American Fighter with it was the F-14.)
Their planes are built and treated like tractors, most have retractable guards on the engine inlets to prevent fod on runways, and many can belly land and be fixed quickly by a small crew with simple tools, where ours are more high maintenance and require sweeps of the airfields for FOD. But its essentially 2 schools of thought. The west builds sophisticated, tech heavy aircraft. The Russians like I said build tractors, their fighters are all designed like an a10 and to operate off strips only an A-10 could operate from.
Their aircraft are maneuverable, but most of the fancy stuff they show off at airshows only their best pilots can muster as they can't afford training all their pilots, very few training hours (at least when oil prices are low.) It's not their aircraft we really worry about as they have created some of (if not ) the best SAM systems to counter that problem. Which makes since, when you consider the world's largest airforce is the USAF, and the world's 2nd largest airforce is the US Navy.
China copies Russian designs but has trouble still building efficiant/powerful jet engines. Their J-20 "stealth fighter" is powered by 2 engines only making half (perhaps 2/3rds on a good day) the thrust it was "designed for"

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread