• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Sub Frame Connectors--are they Causing more interior road noise and vibration.

Discussion in 'New Edge Cobras' started by FIREBALL, Sep 4, 2019.

1. FIREBALL

FIREBALL Member Established Member

I have bolt on sub frame connectors (might weld them in future), but I have driven the car with them off and on when working on it and what I think ive noticed is that every time ive reinstalled the connectors there seems to be more road noise and vibration. So is this just my imagination ? I realize that ones with racing springs and super low profile tires that it might be a no factor, but has anyone here experienced this?

2. slo984now

slo984now AKA 01yellerCobra Established Member

Can't say I've noticed that. In my experience the car is quieter with them. But then I've never ran bolt in style. Mine have been welded in.

3. Steve Gifford

Steve Gifford Member Established Member

Convertible I gather?
    Weld in on mine and convert with no trouble. Only noise I here is tyres ripping when I fly round a tight corner. Best thing I did on my Mustang Cobra vert.

4. railroad

railroad Well-Known Member Established Member

Make sure your suspension is under load when you tighten or weld in the SFC.
    Drive on lift, not swing arm. Your door gaps may be off and letting more noise in the cabin. good luck,

5. FIREBALL

Thanks for replies, It seems to be more of picking up road noise and vibration like if I had just switched to race spring and put 8 ply truck tires on, lol. Its not much more but it just seems to be more noticeable when the connectors are installed.

Dont know if it would make a difference but I have the BBK connectors that have the seat cross bracing.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  6. slo984now

IMO the connectors help keep out the noise and such. My 01 had connectors installed at 50k. The interior of that car was noticeably quieter than my 04 which finally got a set at 100k. And the 01 had some homemade type made out some square stock. My 04 has the Stifflers set up with jacking rails.

7. FIREBALL

Does yours have the cross seat supports? Im thinking they might contribute to the transfer of noise and vibration. Also I think there is more noticeable interior engine and transmission noise with the connectors installed . I did a search and found that some say it didnt cause more noise but some say it does? I can see connectors quieting down some creeks and squeaks from body flex but I cant see that they would overall quiet the car down. I havent tracked my car yet but it probably will not very often ----so maybe I should remove the connectors permanently.

8. slo984now

I do have the seat braces. As well as the jacking rails and cross braces that connect them. I still say keep them. It'll help the car in the long run. But get some good weld in connectors.

I rarely raced my 01, but it had decent power. There was a crease that appeared in the passenger quarter panel at some point. My guess was the connectors I was running weren't strong enough.

01slobruh likes this.
  9. geoffmt

geoffmt Well-Known Member Established Member

I did the weld in on my old car, we welded all of it instead of just the pads, firms up the car nicely! Use good thick wall connectors, the thin wall connectors are not very effective

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

10. shurur

shurur Well-Known Member Established Member

IMO What you have is fine in the interim.
    BUT over time you may find you will want a FLSF like Global West or Stifflers Fit System, even just for the jacking rail alone!

Others will say that a full length subframe, FLSF (as opposed to a subframe connector FLSFC) is not needed for the coupe, because Maximum Motorsports doesn't make anything but subframe connectors, but you will really feel the difference when you stiffen up (eliminate) the "fifth spring" or "pie tin" with a real frame connector.

I would not weld the BBKs in right now, but just use them until you upgrade.

Also NOTE that the Stifflers Fit System will work with the MM FLSFCs..and may work with the BBK as well, as the BBK may be a bolt-on copy of the weld-in MM FLSFC. In that case, you may be able to keep the BBK FLSFC, and have it welded in when you add the Stiffler Fit System frame rails.

Contact Stifflers to see whether this is so.

Keep us posted.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  11. Makobra

Makobra Well-Known Member Established Member

Mine is real quiet with sfc's...

Then again I've yet to actually start it and it hasn't moved anywhere but vertically in like six months :D