sub install?

antiv6

Established Member
Just recently I ditched the stock head unit and went with a Pioneer AVH-P3200DVD. Everything works great but now i want a sub. Nothing serious, just something that will improve the overall music experience. Everything speaker wise in the car is stock. I want just one sub in the trunk of my convertible. What should i go with? A 10", 12"? What amp, wiring, etc. I have no knowledge of audio whatsoever. Are there any premade box's that will fit on one side of the trunk? thanks:beer:

jjscobra18

Established Member
Plenty of premade boxes that will fit in there. It really depends on your taste and what music you listen too and how $ you wanna spend. Where in GA do you live Im south of ATL i know a few weeks back someone was selling a MTX pre made box for a 94-04 trunk. I just did a complete install in mine and redid everything i went with a big booming single 12". From what you say you want a 10" or a 12" in a sealed box should do fine for you if your looking for more bass then go with a ported box. Amp really depends on the speaker as well as wiring the more power you requiring the bigger the wire your gonna need. If you have anymore questions let me know I've redone my mach system in my 04 GT i had and now my 04 Cobra so i can guide you in the right direction it ya need it just let me know!

Last edited:

antiv6

Established Member
Thanks for the help, I ended up picking up a 12in pioneer sub, sealed box, amp and wiring pretty cheap off craigslist and installing it today, install went nice and smooth and the sub definitely helped out the sound.

antiv6

Established Member
I still need to mount the amp to something, would it be ok to mount it to the sub box or is that something your not supposed to do? Thanks!

jjscobra18

Established Member
People have differing opinions on that, my opinion i mounted both my amps to my box reason being the box takes up a large amount of the trunk and i didnt want to mount them to the rear seats do not want screw holes in the back of the seats, and another being my set up can produce alot of bass but i rarely turn it up that loud and do not drive it daily so im not really concerned about messing an amp up. Its gonna shake a bit wherever you put it. I believe you mentioned earlier that you were not looking for a lot of bass and being in a sealed box your going to get more musical accuracy than bass so no i would not be afraid to mount it to the box and save yourself a little bit of room in your trunk. Just do not use too long of a screw that creates a whole all the way through the box.

Last edited:

antiv6

Established Member
I put the amp on the back of the box and hid the wiring in the trunk, What do you suggest for making the box secure so it doesnt move around? Also there is free space around the back of the sub for some air for the amp to breath. Im going do something with the outside as well to clean the box u a bit since theres a few chips in the coating in some spots. Heres a pic, its nothing special but i want to keep it simple.
magd9g.jpg

el2lck.jpg

Last edited:

jjscobra18

Established Member
yeah if your not looking for much its about all you will need. As far as mounting it you will have to do some tinkering. I have the L brackets im going to use to mount mine just need to paint them black my box is taller and i have the rear package tray (coupe) so i have the mach system removed. I am going to L bracket it to the underside of the rear deck if that makes sense. Here are some pics of what i did, wiring is not as clean as i would have liked it.

subboxcobra.jpg

cobratrunk2.jpg

cobratrunk.jpg

antiv6

Established Member
My friend suggested velcro, so i picked up a 4 dollar pack of 4 industrial strength velcro circles at home depot and the box isnt moving any time soon, i could barely move the box to get them all on after the first 2. I think it did the trick.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
You could get a JL Stealthbox. It fits right in the corner of the trunk and is specifically designed for mustangs. Only thing, it won't fit with the Mach 460 system. You'll probably have to ditch the factory speaker box and relocate the amps under the package tray.

It holds a 10" w3 sub. Best fit and finish I've seen. It doesn't need a huge amp to power it either. you could mount the amp under the passenger seat, or behind the carpet on the other side of the trunk. A 250/1 JL "slash" series amp is perfect.

Homer

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
My friend suggested velcro, so i picked up a 4 dollar pack of 4 industrial strength velcro circles at home depot and the box isnt moving any time soon, i could barely move the box to get them all on after the first 2. I think it did the trick.

did this in my old 02 GT...worked out awesome

guitar1118

Established Member
Sub Box Doesn't Move

If this picture works it shows a box that I didn't build but it snugs into the trunk and never has moved. It comes right out if I need access to the spare or need to take it out for trunk space. The amp rack is secure on the side with a removable cover to adjust if needed, This picture is from when I had this system in my GT, but it now is in my Cobra.

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k494/guitar1118/DSC00017.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread