Suggestions on How-To drag race my CJ equipped auto?

goat-ee

Established Member
Going to Mo-Kan Dragway tomorrow night. I'm no pro at driving the auto 5.0 at the strip. My power mods are as follows...

11' GT Premium Kona Auto with stock converter and 3.15 gear. GT500 AB, Jegs cat deletes, AED tuned, CJ Intake, SCJ monoblade throttle body, Revolution Auto 5" CAI 285/40/18 Nitto NT05 DR's on 2010 GT500 convertible wheels, DSS aluminum driveshaft. I will be adding back 3 degrees of timing via the SCT handheld at the strip once I get some good gas (per Shaun at AED), and of course will be on the drag tune.

I already know to turn the TC completely off by pushing the TC button for about 7 seconds while at a standstill with foot on brake. Put car in "3" after I make it to the line. But the questions are...

1) How long on the burnout?
2) What gear for burnout?
3) Flash the converter from complete idle and just go immediate WOT upon last yellow? Or flash it and don't go immediate WOT, but a sure and steady to WOT over the course of about a second?
4) Power up against the converter and just go immediate WOT upon last yellow? Or power up against the converter and don't go immediate WOT, but a sure and steady to WOT over the course of about a second?
5) None of the above? Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

GearsNBeers

Established Member
Hey man good luck tonight.

The torque convertors in the autos are kind of weird. If you come up on the brakes at the starting line right after staging and try to launch at a high rpm your car will probably run slow. Mine sure did.

Some cars seem to respond well to launching from idle, while others between 900-1200 rpm. I suppose it depends on the car and tune. I personally had good success with 1000-1200. The key is not holding the rpm for a long period of time though. Don't come up on the brakes until the first countdown light comes on. What I mean is you both will stage and don't raise rpm until the first yellow countdown light.

If you want a little more info search GearsNBeers or "Bracket Racing 2011 Auto" on these forums. Casper gave good advice last year that really helped me out a lot.

For the burnout I started in first then bumped to second gear once the rpms were up. Then i only ever looked at the mph and kept it at 55 for awhile. It will get smokey in a hurry and the rpms will be fine.

I don't understand why you are putting it in 3rd off the line? Maybe just how an AED tune works? Why not just put it in drive? I don't see how starting in 3rd gear would help much.

Last edited:

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
My car 60's the best when I footbrake it. Like mentioned above, I do it right before I want to take off. I do a good 5 second burnout and come off the brakes and then slowly off the gas to come out of the burnout and drive it out witu your foot off both pedals until you feel the tires start to bite and then your ready. Hopefully this is helpful to you. Good luck! Post up your results!

Last edited:

dennisn

Established Member
With Shaun's drag tune you should not have to disable traction control. should be automatic. You'll notice when you load the tune all your lights will be on. Also, I wouldn't put it in 3rd gear. You can manually do your burnout. (control 1st and 2nd to keep wheel spin up) but when it's time to leave put it in drive and let the tune do the work. Believe it or not it effects how the car shifts. Took me a couple of months to finally realize sport mode (my 13') was hurting my times. . Soon as I left it in regular drive it picked up 2 tenths right off the bat.

4VFTW

Established Member
NT05R's like a long burnout to get heat in them so once you see smoke let them cook for a 5 count. I would try flashing the converter right off idle...that always worked best on my stock unit.

goat-ee

Established Member
As per usual life has come up and bit me. No drag racing for me tonight. I'm off like May 12 through May 21 on vacation, so I'll plan on for sure making it then.

Last edited:

CharlieR

Established Member
I do a 2nd gear burnout, when I see smoke begin rolling I bump to 3rd and let off brake, go 1/2 throttle and let the tires bog the engine(remember to go back to Drive, 3rd gear runs are kinda embarrassing :)) . My car always liked going off Idle flashing the converter, but you'll need to try and see what your car likes(have a couple friends whose cars like different launch techniques then mine). Just use Drive for the run, don't bother trying to shift yourself the computer if faster/smarter than us. I never had NT05r's with the stock converter but N/A w/ 4C converter got a few 1.62 60' times which I feel is great considering the 28.9 inch height of 305/45/18 and stock gear. I feel your "life biting" pain. Wanted to go to the track myself tonight but work claims I need to be there at 5:00. :(

GearsNBeers

Established Member
I do a 2nd gear burnout, when I see smoke begin rolling I bump to 3rd and let off brake, go 1/2 throttle and let the tires bog the engine(remember to go back to Drive, 3rd gear runs are kinda embarrassing :)) . My car always liked going off Idle flashing the converter, but you'll need to try and see what your car likes(have a couple friends whose cars like different launch techniques then mine). Just use Drive for the run, don't bother trying to shift yourself the computer if faster/smarter than us. I never had NT05r's with the stock converter but N/A w/ 4C converter got a few 1.62 60' times which I feel is great considering the 28.9 inch height of 305/45/18 and stock gear. I feel your "life biting" pain. Wanted to go to the track myself tonight but work claims I need to be there at 5:00. :(

Man you arent lying about forgetting to put it in drive. I was going rounds one day. Everything was going great, cutting good lights and running pretty consistent. Got quarter final round bye. Went against a very good racer in semi and got real nervous. Do burnouts same as you burning out of the box in third... Broke from my normal routine and got cute trying to force a little staging war. Forgot to put it in drive.. I yelled all the cuss words I could think of all the way down the track at the top of my lungs. I will never forgot that and you only do that ONCE. I even put a sticky note on the dash from then on that says "Put it in drive idiot".

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread