Supercharged 98 cobra... Blow by questions

Prabhlem510

Hey everyone,

It's my first time on this forum, so I apologize if I mess up in any way.

I picked up a 98 cobra with a Vortec V1 t trim for 2500 bucks
it had a breather on the passenger side and it smokes ALOT. then I found out the valve cover on the drivers side was leaking, after I puked oil everywhere in the parking lot at work. im going to replace the gasket for the valve cover. till then I ran two oil catch cans from the pcv then to breathers. I read somewhere that it should help relieve positive pressure. im just wondering if there should be a lot of steam or smoke from the breathers.
because its a smoke show......

thanks in advance and ill be bugging a lot of people soon with questions

Prabhlem510

It was smoking when I got it, but it seems to be a lot less smoke now. I did an oil change and cleaned the intake and throttle body. had a lot of oil in the intake
is there a relay I can pull to disengage the fuel, when doing the compression test?

Prabhlem510

Time for a rebuild. The price and symptoms point towards a smoked engine. Good luck.
I got it super cheap because the drivers quarter panel was super wrecked. The car doesn't have a tune on it it came with a SCT X4 tuner but doesn't have any custom tunes on it. could that have anything to do with it?

Prabhlem510

I ended up posting them to youtube.

Breather Smoke at start up :
Breather Smoke after idling for a little while:

Exhaust Smoke, rev'd till 4k:

couldn't get more of the exhaust, neighbors complaining smh

Im hoping its not the piston rings or something that'll require taking apart the motor

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
You will want to do a compression and leak down test on it. Pull out a few of the spark plugs and see if they are soaked in oil. I suspect some internal damage here. You can pick up a compression tester at Harbor Freight for cheap and its really easy to do on these cars. Good luck.

Prabhlem510

You will want to do a compression and leak down test on it. Pull out a few of the spark plugs and see if they are soaked in oil. I suspect some internal damage here. You can pick up a compression tester at Harbor Freight for cheap and its really easy to do on these cars. Good luck.
what numbers should each cylinder read at when I do the compression test?

The car had NGK TR55GP plugs when I got it. I swapped them out to NGK TR6's, gapped @ 0.035. I pulled the plugs and there isn't oil on them..
There's been less smoke from the exhaust since I swapped out to the colder plug.

Last edited:

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
Thats a good sign then.

You should see somewhere in the neighborhood of 160-180 per cylinder. Get the engine up to temp, then perform the test.

Users who are viewing this thread