Supercharger belt question

CobraTampa

Established Member
So for the past few months my SC belt is squeaky for the first 15-20mins of driving then it goes away. But damn is it annoying and embarassing when driving it cold. I'm pretty sure it is the belt because if i put a few drops of water on the belt when its running the squeak immediately goes away. I'm not sure the brand that is on there but it is only about 7-8 months old as my local shop did a full tune up on it when I bought the car in March. I recently bought a Continental (gatorback) belt after reading all the reviews. Its a 75" belt and my motor is bone stock...no afternarket pulley. Will the 75" belt work? Too big or too small?

MG0h3

Established Member
Sometimes using a liberal amount of water will clean things up for awhile.

Sometimes it’s just a dry belt and you have to change it.

I don’t know all the belt sizes for different combos, just make sure the tensioner is about in the middle or a little tighter.

I had a belt start squeaking and someone mentioned flipping the belt. If while in front of the car, you can read the part number, flip it so the numbers are upside down.

I thought geez this is the dumbest thing ever.

That was like 3 yrs ago.

Maybe it’s imperfections on one side of the belt rubbing a pulley the wrong way. Who knows.

Give it a shot.

If the belt appears glazed/shiny you’ve been slipping and that can create constant noise. I’ve hit them lightly with sandpaper to take the glaze off.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

TerminatorCobraJP

Established Member
Maybe this could help you
Screenshot_20211020-214836_YouTube.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

olympic

Established Member
If the back side of the belt looks worn (shiny, writing worn off, etc) then chances are you have a pulley alignment problem. A common issue on cars running aftermarket tensioners or alternators and the leading cause of belt squeak.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I run gates green hd belts. They always squeak for a few minutes when starting the car up initially. Then it goes away.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The 75" should work. Just be sure it's not too difficult to get on. You want the tensioner to be right smack in the middle.

CobraTampa

Established Member
Thanks guys. I saw that table somewhere else and was wondering if the .5” smaller belt was going to be an issue. I don’t have an aftermarket tensioner or alternator. I just hate the 15-20 min squeak when I first drive the car.

CobraTampa

Established Member
So i got the 75” belt on but what a PITA. To get the old belt off and new belt on without taking the tensioner off was fun. Not what I was expecting after only owning Foxbodys.

I was a bit worried when I put the 75” gatorback on cause the tensioner indicator was at the far right of center. But I when I looked today it dead center. The belt must have broken in a bit. I was worried it was too tight so all weekend I drove with my 1/2 socket wrench and spare belt in the car worried it would shred.

One thing I have noticed with the .5” shorter belt is I hear the supercharger more now. Even at idle when I popped the hood I can hear a slight SC “whir”. Interesting.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
FYI, I've found that these belts start chirping once the sidewalls "glaze" over. I take a small piece of sand paper, and while the car is running, brush it up against the side of the belt (both sides). Clears up the problem.

It's happend with all the brand belts I've run so far, and this usually fixes it. Although I have had a bad bearing and tensioner that I've had to change out after chasing the squeak.

Users who are viewing this thread