Supercharger Coolant Blow By

Patriot Guy

Established Member
Was messing around with a a new M5 the ohter day and noticed I wasn't hanging like normal, then at about 5k RPMs the engine started sputtering a bit and I noticed some steam/fluid come from the right side hood vent. I found the S/C coolant resevior about a quater low and coolant all over the front of the engine bay and S/C cooant bottle. It looks as if I am blowing coolant out of my resevoir cap on high boost. Bought a new OEM cap from Ford and it did the same thing. Think it is the boost blowby coming out of the SC through the I/C Outlet hose O-ring . Checked the IC pump, and it is flowing well and no coolant except around the vicinity of the bottom of the cap. Was reading some other posts concerning these symptoms and they believed the o-ring was the issue. Just wanted to confirm with some other folks that may have seen this same issue. Any advice/assistance is greatly appreciated. :bash:

Blueline

Established Member
Are you sure your IC pump is working consistently? Do you have a way to monitor your IC temps to see if there are any spikes? You can pressure test the system to check the orings, dont forget no more than 10psi. GL

Patriot Guy

Established Member
Checked the IC pump using bypass method and it runs fine everytime I use the jumper and when I watch it with the engine running during normal operation . Fuse is fine too. Am going to presure test the system this weekend. Have already received the replacement o rings from Mc Master. Now just to find the time to install them.

Patriot Guy

Established Member
Have the Aeroforce pillar mounted gauges. I think I remember there being a setting to monitor the IC temp. Will check tonight after work. Thanks for the suggestion. Didn't think of that. :)

Blueline

Established Member
No prob! Under the aeroforce gauge it will be charge temp you are looking for. As they pumps get older, they may appear as if they are working, then for no reason they will quit. Could be loose connection to just failing internally. Once they cool they will restart. Monitor your charge temp while driving and make sure it stays in the normal range. If your O rings are leaking, you can be ingesting coolant through the motor or it may leak out the front by the IC manifold. If you didnt want to wait until this weekend, You could disconnect the hose at the tank and out of the IC and blow into it. See if you have any air escaping, of course you would have to drain some of the fluid out of the IC.

Patriot Guy

Established Member
Well Checked my S/C pump again and I be damned if it isnt dead. Wouldn't jump, fuse good etc... Ordere a new one this morning. Thanks again for the assistance.

Patriot Guy

Established Member
Update, Changed the I/C pump out with a Ford Racing/GT500 pump and she runs like new. Thanks Again for the Assistance. Take Care, Tom

Blueline

Established Member
Update, Changed the I/C pump out with a Ford Racing/GT500 pump and she runs like new. Thanks Again for the Assistance. Take Care, Tom

Great glad it worked! And thank you for updating the thread in case someone has a similar issue they can check theirs.

Users who are viewing this thread