Supercharger options for 2V engines

Sluggie24

Established Member
In 2 years I'm planning on supercharging my sons 03 GT Auto.

I personally have an intercooled vortech on my 04 GT Auto but since he drives his on long trips quite a bit I want to keep the stock gearing in his rear. That has me leaning towards a positive displacement supercharger over a centri.

I started looking around and the only company that seems to sell kits for the 2V is Kenne Bell. The 2.1 L kit looks like it would do what I'm looking for but is pricey and I would like other options to look into.

Are there any other kits still being made for 2V's or is KB the only one these days?

If KB is the only company making kits can anyone that has them let me know how you like them?

Stanger00

Established Member
Torktech kit allows you to bolt on 03-04 made PD blowers.

The other options are to wait for used roush or used saleen blower kits. But those don't offer much growth because of the heat they produce. You would be hard pressed to touch 400hp safely with one of these.

KB definitely would be the easiest.

Torktech with used 03-04 Cobra eaton blower would be the next affordable option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sluggie24

Established Member
I just looked at the torktech packages and they cost even more than KB and don't come with everything needed like a KB kit does. Till I got everything it would cost way too much.

I'm thinking the 2.1 KB is gonna be the way to go considering its complete for $5k. I guess I'm going to have to start saving.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I just looked at the torktech packages and they cost even more than KB and don't come with everything needed like a KB kit does. Till I got everything it would cost way too much.

I'm thinking the 2.1 KB is gonna be the way to go considering its complete for $5k. I guess I'm going to have to start saving.

Keep your eyes peeled for a used setup.

Stanger00

Established Member

The 03-04 Terminator kit is $2500. I looked it up and you would need about $1500 worth of parts if you bought everything new minus the m112 eaton 03-04 blower, I priced that at $500, but I think you could find one for less. Cost is well below the KB kit.

The other bummer is stock hood will not work and would need a special scoop for $100 or a cowl style hood but with paint could cost between $1000-$2000 more! Unless you find a used one that matches your car for a lot less.

Source:
Mustang Supercharger Kits, GT, Cobra | Tork Tech

Sluggie24

Established Member
I did think about getting a used terminator blower with that kit but after reading how inefficient they were and how much heat soak they caused I decided against that route. Most of the terminator owners seem to upgrade superchargers because they are limited.

His car does have a cowl hood on it already though.

I already know I'm going to have to build the bottom end in his car eventually, but does anyone know if the stock bottom end can handle 14 psi if I bought the KB kit that way? I'm thinking 14psi might be right on the edge of what the stock parts can handle.

Stanger00

Established Member
I did think about getting a used terminator blower with that kit but after reading how inefficient they were and how much heat soak they caused I decided against that route. Most of the terminator owners seem to upgrade superchargers because they are limited.

I already know I'm going to have to build the bottom end in his car eventually, but does anyone know if the stock bottom end can handle 14 psi if I bought the KB kit that way? I'm thinking 14psi might be right on the edge of what the stock parts can handle.

The Heaton will make 400hp and not make too much heat at all. When the bottom end is built and you push it up to 14-16psi then the heaton needs to be upgraded.

That 2.1 KB will barely hit 500 hp at max boost with a built motor that has ported heads and cams. Not worth it if you plan to go beyond stock long lock

Also I wouldn't risk 14 psi with stock rear gears. Way too much load and will bend rods easily.

Some say you can and it's no problem to run 14 psi but not for longevity.

I ran 12 psi with a vortech for 6 years and 50k miles. I also got 24 mpg with 3.73's with an automatic and vortech with my drives from Delaware to California.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member

Start with 8 psi and I'm sure he'll need happy with that for a bit.

Sluggie24

Established Member
500rwhp would be a possible end goal once the bottom end is built. Not really looking to go beyond that for him.

The 9 psi kit is probably the way to go then. He already has cams that should do ok with a supercharger so I'm thinking he might get around 400rwhp with that kit on the stock bottom end.

Stanger00

Established Member
500rwhp would be a possible end goal once the bottom end is built. Not really looking to go beyond that for him.

The 9 psi kit is probably the way to go then. He already has cams that should do ok with a supercharger so I'm thinking he might get around 400rwhp with that kit on the stock bottom end.

If it has cams already, than it will be well north of 400 with the 9psi kit. 430 would be my guess.

I've seen many posts of stock long block 2 valves push 400hp to the wheels with 10ish psi since I've been around forums. I put a vortech on my mustang in 2005 and it made over 400 and the tuner pulled timing out that he normally used with 93 octane. I ran that tune for years in Delaware and Germany. Once I moved to AZ I got a new tune on the dyno and at the track and I had a crazy 100 octane tune that got me from 11.9 at 115 on my 91 octane tune to 11.6 at 119 consistently. I was running a 11.5 index class.

Never blew my motor I pulled it out running when I installed my new built motor back in 2011/2012.

jaxbusa

Established Member
I wouldn’t shy away from a good used centrifugal. I would just factor in the price of going to 3.55 or 3.73. Those shouldn’t be too bad. However, a torktech would allow you to reach your goals now and upgrade later.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Sluggie24

Established Member
I'm thinking this will be my plan...

Buy the KB 2.1 9 psi kit and install it. Get a safe dyno tune. That should make him very happy for a while.

Have him drive it that way while he's working and can save up his own $. Once he saves up enough, or blows the engine, build the bottom end, port the heads, install headers and install the 14 psi pulley.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I'd do some digging on the gears. When I went to 3.73's in my 98 GT (5 speed) my freeway MPG went up. We installed a rear end with 3.73's in my son's 98 a couple months ago and he said he's getting more miles per tank.

I had 3.90's in my 01 Cobra and still knocked down 18+ on the highway. Gears don't really kill mileage in these cars.

Plus I ran a centri set up for stock gears for a long time. I just had to remember to down shift before I punched it.

Stanger00

Established Member
I'd do some digging on the gears. When I went to 3.73's in my 98 GT (5 speed) my freeway MPG went up. We installed a rear end with 3.73's in my son's 98 a couple months ago and he said he's getting more miles per tank.

I had 3.90's in my 01 Cobra and still knocked down 18+ on the highway. Gears don't really kill mileage in these cars.

Plus I ran a centri set up for stock gears for a long time. I just had to remember to down shift before I punched it.

I didn't lose much MPGs when I went to 3.73's either. My city Driving was 18-19 with stock gears and went down to 17-18 with 3.73s. That was with the vortech. I don't remember much before when it was stock. I have owned the same Mustang since 2002 and put the blower on in 2005. I also had a 3400 stall converter put in it when the transmission went out in 2006 still knocked down 17-18 mpgs in city. My last drive from Delaware to California my car had an extra 500lbs loaded in it and got 22 mpgs the whole way.

With the built motor and same 3.73 gears but different converter I got 14-15mpg city driving and 2-3 WOT pulls. My commute to work is 120 miles round trip and I was able to go 2 days and make it my hometown gas station. 240 miles and I have a 03-04 Cobra tank and it took 15 gallons to fill up which is 16mpg. Not bad for 600hp 4r70w 2 valve, IMO.

I like the 3.73's for the trap speed in the 1/4. I think the 25.8" tire is good for 136 at 6800 rpm in 3rd gear. My car has only gone 128 in 103* track temps.

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
Ive been tossing up the idea of selling my 2v 2.2 Kenne Bell kit in the future. Ive got the turbo itch lately but im in no rush to tear into the car at the moment lol. The car is too much fun to drive. Stock 2v @ 9psi made 405 to the wheels on 93 and 450 on e85. Plenty of room to grow to 500+ at the wheels with a built motor.

Sluggie24

Established Member
Eventually I'm going to be changing his gears out but that might not be for a while. Since he is still a student even a 1-2 mpg drop will hit his wallet right now. Once he graduates and is making good money things will be different.

Trust me that I would love to put 3.73s in his car right now to really wake it up. Once the PD supercharger goes in I'm wondering if 3.55s might be a better choice though? With all the extra torque at low rpm I'm wondering if 3.73s might be too much for the tires?

My car has 3.73s and used to light the tires at only 1/4 throttle from a stop with only a centri that wasn't even in boost yet. I put MT drag radials on to fix that problem but he will be staying with radials.

I will probably just have to wait and see how it drives on the stock rear with the supercharger before deciding what to do.

CV355

_
Established Member
+1 for the KB 2.1, intercooled, 9psi. Upgrade the fuel pump and you're good to go.

If I could get in a time machine to 2009, I'd beat the crap out of myself for screwing up what was a perfect car. Stock motor, 2.1 on top, gears, exhaust, and it was running 11's all day and smooth enough to drive cross-country.

Grant Theft Auto

I hit deer.
Established Member
2 options both cheaper than a $5,000 KB kit that will leave you disappointed.

Browse around on modular classifieds on Facebook. People sell the Saleen series blowers all the time on there for a decent price. There’s another company too that makes one that isn’t torktech I see them a lot on Lincoln’s and crown vic’s but can’t remember their name.

Or

Swap a 5.4 in and piece together a lightning blower kit they are cheap I see them on the pages for $1,200 from blower to heat exchanger everything you need.

I don’t understand why you wouldn’t want a centri blower tho... I see used kits all the time for dirt cheap..

Users who are viewing this thread