Supercharger Tips

Shetz99Cobra

Established Member
I have a 99 Cobra with a recently remanufactured motor in it (no performance / forged internals). I just purchased a procharger supercharger and am having a performance shop install the procharger, intercooler, American Racing headers & X Pipe, and Flowmaster American Thunder X-pipe back exhaust. Also just added new suspension and a new Exedy clutch & Flywheel. Additionally, the performance shop will be tuning the car.

I've read an endless amount of posts on here indicating others have run a supercharger with 400 - 450 RWHP on stock internals with no issues. My tuner stressed not tuning the car above 410 RWHP so we're going to stick with that.

Curious from others what are good precautions to take when driving a supercharged car to keep from wrecking the motor. Hopeful keeping the tune near 400 will do the trick, but open to other suggestions.

Thanks everyone !

Zutz2v

Established Member
I have a 99 Cobra with a recently remanufactured motor in it (no performance / forged internals). I just purchased a procharger supercharger and am having a performance shop install the procharger, intercooler, American Racing headers & X Pipe, and Flowmaster American Thunder X-pipe back exhaust. Also just added new suspension and a new Exedy clutch & Flywheel. Additionally, the performance shop will be tuning the car.

I've read an endless amount of posts on here indicating others have run a supercharger with 400 - 450 RWHP on stock internals with no issues. My tuner stressed not tuning the car above 410 RWHP so we're going to stick with that.

Curious from others what are good precautions to take when driving a supercharged car to keep from wrecking the motor. Hopeful keeping the tune near 400 will do the trick, but open to other suggestions.

Thanks everyone !

I’m running a VORTECH V2 si with power cooler in my 03 GT. I bought the car like this. I have 3.1mm pulley pushing 14psi or so, but I have a blow off value and a tune to keep me at 5500 rpm. I’m currently trying to source out a cobra exchanger to help the car. Personally I don’t like the set up. I’d switch to a Kenne bell 2.1 in a heartbeat. Also from my own experience, take traction control off when driving at all times. I had is cut power to my motor when boost was high and almost blew my motor from the pressure not escaping.

Shetz99Cobra

Established Member
I’m running a VORTECH V2 si with power cooler in my 03 GT. I bought the car like this. I have 3.1mm pulley pushing 14psi or so, but I have a blow off value and a tune to keep me at 5500 rpm. I’m currently trying to source out a cobra exchanger to help the car. Personally I don’t like the set up. I’d switch to a Kenne bell 2.1 in a heartbeat. Also from my own experience, take traction control off when driving at all times. I had is cut power to my motor when boost was high and almost blew my motor from the pressure not escaping.

Thanks for the heads up on the traction control. I fully agree with your Kenne bell comment as well. Called the Company, but apparently they've stopped making the Kenne Bell supercharger for 99-01 Cobras or I would have bought one. Hunted for a used one for a while but found none, so decided to go ProCharger.

Zutz2v

Established Member
Thanks for the heads up on the traction control. I fully agree with your Kenne bell comment as well. Called the Company, but apparently they've stopped making the Kenne Bell supercharger for 99-01 Cobras or I would have bought one. Hunted for a used one for a while but found none, so decided to go ProCharger.
Did you already buy the pro charger ? I only ask cause a lot of guys are really happy with ON3 turbo kits.

Shetz99Cobra

Established Member
Not only own it, but the shop actually has it part way installed as of today. I'll post a pic of it shortly.

Preciate the thought of the ON3 turbo kit though.

Shetz99Cobra

Established Member
Supercharger.jpg

Attachments

• Supercharger.jpg
    Supercharger.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 83

Zutz2v

Established Member
Not only own it, but the shop actually has it part way installed as of today. I'll post a pic of it shortly.

Preciate the thought of the ON3 turbo kit though.
Your welcome man, let me know how you like it ? I’ve been trying to sell my setup to switch to a Kenne bell but nobody wants to buy it. So I’m just going to work on it. It’s definitely fun tho.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Build the motor then actually spin the blower a little harder. The reason everyone says the centris are torque less is because they're only getting 6-8psi out of them. Start getting double digit boost and things change. It come on a lot quicker too.

I've had a D1, T trim, and F1A. I could blow the tires off just as easy as any PD blower. Even the dyno graph looked like PD blower set up.

Zutz2v

Established Member
Build the motor then actually spin the blower a little harder. The reason everyone says the centris are torque less is because they're only getting 6-8psi out of them. Start getting double digit boost and things change. It come on a lot quicker too.

I've had a D1, T trim, and F1A. I could blow the tires off just as easy as any PD blower. Even the dyno graph looked like PD blower set up.
I agree with you, but it’s not cheap to do. And once you forge the motor you have to either rebuild the tranny or better yet buy a T56. ( I have a GT) and if I was going to do all that work I’d rather yank my 2v out and put a coyote.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I agree with you, but it’s not cheap to do. And once you forge the motor you have to either rebuild the tranny or better yet buy a T56. ( I have a GT) and if I was going to do all that work I’d rather yank my 2v out and put a coyote.
The 5 speed can live depending how you drive. I had a bone stock 3650 and it never had an issue. But I also didn't do 4k clutch dumps. I eventually swapped to a T-56 and decided I wasn't a fan of 5 speeds anymore.

Zutz2v

Established Member
The 5 speed can live depending how you drive. I had a bone stock 3650 and it never had an issue. But I also didn't do 4k clutch dumps. I eventually swapped to a T-56 and decided I wasn't a fan of 5 speeds anymore.
Did you forged your motor tho ?

Shetz99Cobra

Established Member

I eventually plan to build the motor, but not for another 2-3 years from now when I've set aside enough money to build it right. There's a few Ford Performance Motor builders near me that have all quoted me between $10K - $12K for a forged / built motor with top quality pistons, rods, crank, cams etc. For now will drive in 6-8psi land until that time comes.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I eventually plan to build the motor, but not for another 2-3 years from now when I've set aside enough money to build it right. There's a few Ford Performance Motor builders near me that have all quoted me between $10K - $12K for a forged / built motor with top quality pistons, rods, crank, cams etc. For now will drive in 6-8psi land until that time comes.
I'd say in that time do some research and grow your skills. 10-12k is a lot of money for an engine. You can save a ton using parts of your current engine and doing stuff yourself.

And chances are you don't/won't need half of what they tell you you'll need.

Last edited:

Zutz2v

Established Member
See what I mean, 12k for a 2v motor..... and that’s USD. In Canadian so add 30% on that lmao

Zutz2v

Established Member

Mine cost about $4500. Including the block. But I did all the assembly myself. As well as pulled and installed the engine. You save a lot doing some things at home.
the block. But I did all the assembly mys

I wouldn’t attempt it myself. In a construction worker not a mechanic, so I’m shafted unfortunately

Users who are viewing this thread