Supercharger

CobraG

Established Member
I'm at the research stage of deciding on a SC. Right now I'm looking at a Vortech or Roush. I know they're two different styles but it looks like they are similar in price, a tad under $7K.
My car is a weekend warrior, it's not a DD, just a fun car. I drove a 2017 5.0 with a Roush and really enjoyed the pd SC. I've never driven a centrifugal SC'd car so I can't compare it.
I'd like to stay around $7K, I figure another $2K for the install.
My car has LT's, JLT, X pipe and MagnaPacks, it's a manual transmission.
What do y'all recommend, or is there another SC I should check out?

PC03GT

Established Member
I have a vortech, I'd go PD. There isn't anything wrong with a centrifugal, just lacks the thrill unless you're getting on it

CobraG

Established Member
I have a vortech, I'd go PD. There isn't anything wrong with a centrifugal, just lacks the thrill unless you're getting on it
Thanks, that's what I was wondering. When I drove that Roush SC'd 2017 the power was there no matter what speed, at least it seemed, it was a test drive so I didn't drive it around a long time.
Anyway, I'll probably take a look at the Roush and maybe a Whipple.

CobraG

Established Member
I probably should mention my goal for the car is to be 650 to the wheels.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I got good service from Whipple on both GT500's..
If you got with a complete kit, understand the tunes are on the conservative side & may or may not come with a hand held for tune storage. If there is a local tuner in your area, you could skip a kit & put something together, & may wind up with better results.......good luck..

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Ull get bored with that quick. Id go Whipple. Spend a little more money and get it remote tuned from either Sai Li , Lund or PBD.

I probably should mention my goal for the car is to be 650 to the wheels.

CobraG

Established Member
Ull get bored with that quick. Id go Whipple. Spend a little more money and get it remote tuned from either Sai Li , Lund or PBD.
When you say I'd get bored, do you mean with the Roush and why? Right now I'm tuned by Lund, I'd like to stay with them so they're who I plan on going with.
I do have an nGauge already. I plan on staying stock clutch for a little while. Car's not a DD or a track car so I'm hoping it'll hold for a while.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Its like anything bro U will get use to that power so buy something that will put down a little more power and give urself room to grow.

A basic TVS is great but hits the ceiling at like 700 whp or so maybe a little more. In a year or so u will want 900 whp and so on..... so buy something u can grow into like a decent size Whipple.

Like any car the more u mod the more shit u will need such as injectors, fuel pump etc but the big purchase is the blower. Yea it will cost a little more but its worth it.

When you say I'd get bored, do you mean with the Roush and why? Right now I'm tuned by Lund, I'd like to stay with them so they're who I plan on going with.
I do have an nGauge already. I plan on staying stock clutch for a little while. Car's not a DD or a track car so I'm hoping it'll hold for a while.

Last edited:

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
The PD blower for sure. They are a blast!

I've been running a VMP TVS kit since early 2013. Over the years I have added power slowly, adding support pieces like Brett mentioned.

I took my 2.3l TVS (basically a Gen 2R) to mid/high 800's with only an upper pulley and a 6 rib drive, with a Gen 1 Aluminator. It will take you alot further than previously mentioned on this thread.

My Gen 2R and Gen 3, then 3R all made peak power at 7600. Stock cams/heads, all that. Just rods/pistons in Gen 1 Coyote.

Beyond that, VMP has larger blowers, the Gen 3R (rear feed) and Odin (front feed) as well.

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out. My main focus with my car is street driving, but I like to go to the track a few times a year. Saying all that to say, it's not all racey. Stock k member, stock brakes, stock bumpers, a/c, aftermarket sound system, ect.

My $.02

Last edited:

e85svt

Established Member
The whipple is a stellar kit for sure. If your goals are 650 rwhp then any kit is capable of that. Its going to mostly depend on how you like the power to come in at. Tvs' hit hard down low while centrifugals pull hard up top and Whipple superchargers have just about the best of both worlds. Your main limiting factor will be octane in that depending on your tuner and fuel system you're are likely limited to about 11-12 psi on pump gas. Any kit whether it be a TVS or vortech will give you enough head room for more power down the road. If your main goal is to be mostly a weekend warrior a TVS is what I recommend for most street cars for the most thrilling experience.

Sent from my SM-G960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
If there is ANYONE that he should be listening to its YOU! Yea forgot about the VMP one. Obviously that one hauls ass as well. I think the VMP blower is just as good as the Whipple.

The PD blower for sure. They are a blast!

I've been running a VMP TVS kit since early 2013. Over the years I have added power slowly, adding support pieces like Brett mentioned.

I took my 2.3l TVS to mid/high 800's with only an upper pulley and a 6 rib drive, with a Gen 1 Aluminator. It will take you alot further than previously mentioned on this thread.

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out. My main focus with my car is street driving, but I like to go to the track a few times a year. Saying all that to say, it's not all racey. Stock k member, brakes, bumpers, a/c, aftermarket sound system, ect.

My $.02

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
A basic TVS is great but hits the ceiling at like 700 whp or so maybe a little more. In a year or so u will want 900 whp and so on..... so buy something u can grow into like a decent size Whipple.

2.3 TVS will make 850 fairly easy when you turn them up, quite a few people have gone high 8s on a 2.3. It can't hang with Whipple's and 2.65 TVS cars but it's no slouch.

If I were purchasing a blower today it would hands down be the gen 5 Whipple. Hold off u til Black Friday and there will be some killer deals.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
No it won't. Not on a stock 2013 Gen 1 motor. On E85 it will make 800 ish and go mid 9's in the 1/4 with a Gen 1 Motor. I know I had one and will make 700 hp give or take on 93 octane which is what most ppl run with a 2.3 TVS. Wanna make more on 93 octane u will need a bigger blower.

Quite a few have not gone high 8's with a standard 2.3 TVS. A few and far between have with very light cars.

A full weight Gen 1 Mustang on E85 with a 2.3 TVS with a stock motor goes mid to high 9's. Drop a bunch of weight and anything will go fast but saying he can go 8's if he just "Turns it up" is non sense.

2.3 TVS will make 850 fairly easy when you turn them up, quite a few people have gone high 8s on a 2.3. It can't hang with Whipple's and 2.65 TVS cars but it's no slouch.

If I were purchasing a blower today it would hands down be the gen 5 Whipple. Hold off u til Black Friday and there will be some killer deals.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
No it won't. Not on a stock 2013 Gen 1 motor. On E85 it will make 800 ish and go mid 9's in the 1/4 with a Gen 1 Motor. I know I had one and will make 700 hp give or take on 93 octane which is what most ppl run with a 2.3 TVS. Wanna make more on 93 octane u will need a bigger blower.

Quite a few have not gone high 8's with a standard 2.3 TVS. A few and far between have with very light cars.

A full weight Gen 1 Mustang on E85 with a 2.3 TVS with a stock motor goes mid to high 9's. Drop a bunch of weight and anything will go fast but saying he can go 8's if he just "Turns it up" is non sense.

Who said anything about limitations of the stock gen 1 motor or 93 octane fuel? We are talking about potential power of the blower, not the stock engine. With a gen 1 motor any blower is capable of maxing it out so I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to prove.

Did you not read Jon's post above, he has been bottom 9s on a very simple set up. I don't remember exact time but I think 9.1s or 9.0s.

I will say it again, a very basic set up on a 2.3 is capable of 850 all day and in full kill mode can make over 900 (race car). Full on drag cars have been mid 8s and "street cars" have gone high 8s. The list might be short for street cars but do the research and you will see there are indeed street cars with minor weight reduction if any reduction running these times.

Still think OP needs to go Whipple!!

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Right, and the Potential for the older 2.3 TVS is not up to par. There are 5 new versions out from different PD companies so it makes no sense to buy a blower that only ur stock motor can handle essentially when there are far better choices and u need to spin that 2.3 really hard to make big power.

Its for ppl wanting 600-650 hp and never plan on upgrading which is a LOT of ppl the first year owning their car with a power adder then they want more. I thought 700 whp was nutz. Now it wud bore me.

John is the only guy I know going 8's with a TVS. Im sure there are others but its pretty freakn rare bro! I agree the Gen 5 Whipple is the cats ass and wud be my choice.

Who said anything about limitations of the stock gen 1 motor or 93 octane fuel? We are talking about potential power of the blower, not the stock engine. With a gen 1 motor any blower is capable of maxing it out so I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to prove.

Did you not read Jon's post above, he has been bottom 9s on a very simple set up. I don't remember exact time but I think 9.1s or 9.0s.

I will say it again, a very basic set up on a 2.3 is capable of 850 all day and in full kill mode can make over 900 (race car). Full on drag cars have been mid 8s and "street cars" have gone high 8s. The list might be short for street cars but do the research and you will see there are indeed street cars with minor weight reduction if any reduction running these times.

Still think OP needs to go Whipple!!

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
Anyways... if my car was just for weekend warrior duties, I'd go PD again. Like others have said, my opinion is also that centri blowers are nice but have to wind them out to really enjoy it.

I loved my 2.3L VMP when I had it. Didn't have to mess with it, no oil changes needed on the headunit like some centri headunits, and power was available immediately. I sold my full stage 3 kit for a pretty good deal with everything with it. I'm sure you can find a deal on a used kit from someone trying to go turbo if you're willing to buy used. And should still come out under budget.

5.0Black

Established Member
OP- 650whp can be achieved with pretty much all of the SC kits out there. It comes down to what you want out of your super charger. If given the choice I would take Roush over Vortech. I like the immediate power of the TVS unit, I like that Roush offers their 3 year/36,000 mile warranty, and candidly I think it is the best looking unit under the hood. With that being said you should consider VMP and Whipple as well for your SC kit considerations. Both kits are quality units. I personally went with Roush, but you really cannot go wrong with any of those three kits. Since you have driven a Roush unit before, it may be your safe bet, but if you go Roush definitely get a 3rd party tune as the Roush tunes leave a lot to be desired.

Riddick made a good point that any of the units out there can max out your stock engine. Making 800 or 900whp is awesome sounding, but you really need to start thinking about your engine at that point (block, rods, pistons) and the MT-82 will probably need replacement for a built unit. You stay below 750 and your engine should be more reliable in stock form. At 650whp you will still want to consider the following:

1. Clutch + matching flywheel
2. Suspension mods (UCA, LCA, front struts, rear shocks and springs etc). Here you will also have to consider how much NVH and what is going to be too stiff of a ride.
3. Wheels to accommodate bigger tires.

You could drive your car stock some for a while, pending how good you are with a clutch, but you won't be putting the power down at all. End of the day, only you can answer the questions on which blower to get. I do recommend waiting till black friday to get a kit as you will probably get a sizeable amount off.

Edit: As far as getting bored with the power goes, you know yourself better than anyone else. Some people do indeed get bored with 650whp, and it is a valid point to consider. Still, there are many people that don't get bored making 650whp. I asked myself the question of how much power I would want, and I still have no intentions of going beyond 700whp.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread