Suspension discussion

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
I'm sure this has been discussed before but it's been a little dead in here and this was something I was thinking about lately. So my car is a 2007 with 31,000 miles, stock springs, only mods that would effect ride quality would be BMR LCA's. I've got a panhard bar too but that should change anything. This is probably more geared toward 07-09 guys because I'm sure what is on the 2010+ is better but feel free to chime in I don't know a ton about suspension.

My car seems to "float" it just doesn't feel planted to the ground at really any speed. Just changing lanes it doesn't feel sharp and before I go further down the hp road I want it to ride a bit better. I'm not talking about when the tires are spinning just in general cruising around town or changing lanes at 70+ on the highway. So I guess I'm looking for information on what I can do to make it stop riding like a mustang..... lol I'm assuming springs would help but I don't want to just start throwing parts at it I'd like to know if anyone gets what I'm talking about. Better shocks, sway bar, springs,.... what's going to help me the most here. I've had a few daily's including an is300 and a g35 coupe that were both stock but drove great. I'm just trying to round out the car a bit more.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Cody, I have experienced exactly what you are describing in my own car, before my suspension mods. You have already removed some slop in the rear with the LCAs and panhard bar replacement, now you need to replace that crappy stock UCA for more precise articulation. If you don't want to replace the springs, a good rear shock like Koni yellows or Tokico will control your stock springs better than the OEM shocks, helping to reduce that floaty feeling. I have no complaints with my QA1 single adjustables in the rear, but if you are not racing it on the strip, I would use a more streetable shock like the ones mentioned above or maybe even Bilsteins. Lowering springs will firm up the ride, reduce center of gravity, and reduce suspension travel, giving you an even more precise ride. H&R Sport springs offer a great ride, slightly firmer than stock, and about an inch lowering all around. I would target the sway bar last, but it would improve the feel during quick lane changes and hard cornering.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Yeah, these cars have terribly sloppy rear ends. I highly recommend getting some adjustable shocks. I have the Eibach Pro Kit springs and dampers and, at the rear, there's still WAY too much rebound over big bumps and too much compression over abrupt bumps. I'm now actually thinking of either replacing the dampers with some adjustables or just going all out and get a coilover suspension. Currently, my entire suspension is aftermarket. The car feels very sharp in the maneuvering department and the suspension behaves admirably in MOST situations. I just hate the amount of rear end bounce I sometimes get.

Imatk

Established Member
I bought the springs/shocks for the 2013 PP and I love them.

I had the KR suspension which is also excellent, but it's a little harsher than the PP suspension, and I daily drive my car so the PP suspension was perfect for me.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
If your usage is more driving or "cruising" then I was going to suggest considering the KR pieces as well. I ran them for a while and really liked them. Firmer than stock but with stock-like NVH levels and at a great price point. If you want something a bit more hardcore, adjustables are definitely something to consider as well. That'd give you the ability to dial things back a bit if your roads are overly harsh.

oldlugs

Established Member
Another vote for the KR damper and spring set, or if you want a bit firmer yet, try the Koni yellows. I have the Konis on my Bullitt and while I like the ride, my wife thinks it's a bit harsh. No complaints of the KR ride. Also, something that seemed to make a huge difference on my canyon drives, was the switch from stock panhard to a poly-end adjustable. I did 'em on both the KR and the Bullitt (went with Spohn brand). I think that the stock panhard bushings are too soft and make the rear feel floaty on the slightest corner bumps.

nxhappy

Established Member
new shocks and struts, keep the stock spring height, especially if you are drag racing

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
Yeah, these cars have terribly sloppy rear ends. I highly recommend getting some adjustable shocks. I have the Eibach Pro Kit springs and dampers and, at the rear, there's still WAY too much rebound over big bumps and too much compression over abrupt bumps. I'm now actually thinking of either replacing the dampers with some adjustables or just going all out and get a coilover suspension. Currently, my entire suspension is aftermarket. The car feels very sharp in the maneuvering department and the suspension behaves admirably in MOST situations. I just hate the amount of rear end bounce I sometimes get.

I guess that's the best way to describe it. When you hit a bump or something it feels like the car is all over the place. It's like it doesn't absorb the bump if that makes sense.

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
What does kr stand for? I'm assuming that's the brand. My car is a daily driver. I don't drive far to work maybe 10 miles. But lately little things are bugging me. I've got a little vibration in the wheel I think my front tires are wearing uneven or something. I've had them balanced a couple of times but at like 55-70mph it has a vibration and it's driving me nuts

mavisky

Established Member
Cody they're talking about the factory parts designed for the GT500 KR. You can snag a set of the shocks and springs on EBAY brand new in the Ford Racing box for under $200. I've got them on mine and daily drive it (I've put 7,000 miles on it in about months since buying it this year) and the suspension seems to work great for me. It can scrape some, but not if driven with a little care and some anticipation of approach and departure angles. It also helps alleviate a lot of the "ass in the air" stance that the GT500's come with from the factory. There's still some rake front to rear, but its much less pronounce now. It's no race car ride and still feels a little wobbly at times (still on all stock rear control arms), but it's a marked improvement over the stock spring/shock combo.

This was a week or so after putting it on.

IMG_20140502_184955_132_zpsnmzgcvvu.gif

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
Ok I'll have to shop around. I was trying to get an idea of what to look for. So is the front really not an issue? Is it the rear that causes that feeling. Is it possible to have work out my stock rear shocks at 31,000 miles. It just feels like it's bouncing a lot.

mavisky

Established Member
There's not much to change out on the front besides springs, shocks, swaybar, and control arm bushings. I do eventually want to get some aftermarket swaybars for this big pig though as there's a lot of roll and they won't add to a harsher ride in day to day commuting as much as stiffer springs would.

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
I'm in the same boat as you Cody, but I believe the problem lies with the axle moving from side to side. Although, it depends on what kind of roads you have, you can solve it with what've been suggested. But, for me the roads here are horrible so I'm going straight to a watts link, reason being it centres the diff and simulate an IRS which we all know made for handling and comfort.

Its better to get someone's experience with the watts link, because most people suggest it for track, but thats what I'm going with.

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
I'm in the same boat as you Cody, but I believe the problem lies with the axle moving from side to side. Although, it depends on what kind of roads you have, you can solve it with what've been suggested. But, for me the roads here are horrible so I'm going straight to a watts link, reason being it centres the diff and simulate an IRS which we all know made for handling and comfort.

Its better to get someone's experience with the watts link, because most people suggest it for track, but thats what I'm going with.

Well I'm glad to hear it's not just me. It's been bugging me lately.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Ok I'll have to shop around. I was trying to get an idea of what to look for. So is the front really not an issue? Is it the rear that causes that feeling. Is it possible to have work out my stock rear shocks at 31,000 miles. It just feels like it's bouncing a lot.

For the best handling characteristics on the street, you should match whatever shocks/springs you install on the back with the same struts/springs in the front so that everything works in harmony. Yes, stock shocks can wear out quickly and you will feel the difference when you install new ones.

mavisky

Established Member
The watts link is a great option. Personally waiting to see what BMR comes out with and if it's compatible with a convertible. Currently only the FAYS2 is compatible with the S197 vert support bars.

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
The watts link is a great option. Personally waiting to see what BMR comes out with and if it's compatible with a convertible. Currently only the FAYS2 is compatible with the S197 vert support bars.

I'm dying to see what BMR would come up with, but they're taking too much time.
I might just pull the trigger on whiteline.

BMR Tech

Our Watts systems are finished. We're working on the final product release process, which is somewhat time consuming.

I'm at SEMA right now, but will try and remember to chime in, in further detail next week when back in the office.

Users who are viewing this thread