Suspension Suggestions - currently running Eibach and not happy

WZL 96

SN95 Wrangler
Established Member
Hey guys, its been a while since I've posted, but I guessed my password correctly on the first try so it must be a good day!

I have a couple of questions on what current options people are running for a lowered 96 Cobra. I currently have a 96 Cobra with Eibach Sportline Springs and Eibach Pro-damper strut kit. aftermarket rear control arms and quadshock removed. running a camber bolt up front for alignment and not any CC plates.

The car has been in this setup for several years now, but it doesn't get driven much these days. I've never been too impressed with the ride of this setup but it looked fantastic so I've just dealt with it. Now I'm finally fed up and want to see what is out there these days and what people are recommending. I drove the car this morning and thought the thing was going to come apart after hitting a bump on the highway. I need to fix this before the car eats itself.

It feels like it bottoms out so quickly. maybe the spring rate isn't enough but I see people seem to love Eibach setups so I'm a bit confused.

Am I a doofus for dropping the car this much without going with CC plates?

Open to suggestions and constructive criticism. I'm not looking for a Cadillac ride here, something sporty that I don't fear will damage the car every time I take it 80+ on I75. Sporty street driving and the occasional track day or mountain run.

Thanks guys

96GT226410

Established Member
I would invest in the CC plates and maybe upgrade your shocks and struts.

I've heard good things about the setup I went with: Sportlines, B8 Bilsteins up front, B6 Bilsteins in the rear, MM CC plates, MM bumpsteer kit, and MM rear lower control arms. I also used UPR Pre Series double adjustable rear upper control arms and offset rack bushings. I haven't driven mine yet, though.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
My pro-kit equipped irs cobra is rough, I can't imagine sportlines on a SRA. I just put Bilsteins on mine last weekend but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I also installed CC plates, even with the pro-kit, camber was out of spec without them.

robvas

Established Member
Make sure your shocks/struts aren't blown. If they are, replace them.

Get those sportlines out of there though. Prokit will ride way better.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
For quick and easy I'd go with H&R race springs and a decent damper. I'm a Bilstein fan, but I've used Konis on other cars with success.

Step up from there would be a coilover kit like Maximum Motorsports. That's what I currently run and I'm happy with it.

IMO, the best would be something like the Vikings. I installed a set of their coilovers on a buddies car. Really nice quality and he was able to adjust the rebound and compression exactly how he wanted it.

With any of those step up to a good CC plate.

WZL 96

SN95 Wrangler
Established Member
Thanks for the updates guys! Good to know the sportlines might be the issue. The car used to have FRPP B(?) springs and rode just fine with the original shocks. My dad sold those (my) springs on his fox body though, thanks dad. haha. I went with the sportlines to get even lower and I might have gone with the pro-damper kit in an attempt to improve the ride, but that was so long ago I don't really remember.

I like the ride height currently, switching to a slightly higher ride is acceptable, I know my transmission crossmember will thank me. Might end up going with Coilovers of some flavor, with CC plates and probably a MM bumpsteer kit. that way I can fine tune things as I wish.

rzimmerl

Established Member
I like my HR super sports with koni single adjustables, Energy suspension isolators, also with MM CC plates. With 4 adults in a vert I haven't noticed bottoming out.

Users who are viewing this thread