Suspension Tap (spring thickness question)

Caseindaplace

Established Member
My 2003 cobra has an annoying “Tap” coming from the passenger rear fender / wheel well. Taps on bumps, up and down driveways and hard turns left (roll body right) Changed bushings on just about everything.

Car is lowered on H&R race springs

Took the rear passenger wheel off and noticed what you see in the pictures. Isolator was destroyed and if you notice the spring itself, the red coating was worn away from rubbing - “tapping” against the part of the car next to the spring (my theory)

Replaced the isolators and went with Eibach springs for a softer ride for daily use.

After the replacement it’s still tapping.

Any of you had this experience? Shop tried to pull the piece away from the spring - no luck.

11793af03653916421dc2edac72e6775.jpg
017c5873a3e06dac099167b5f1f10dc0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Caseindaplace

Established Member
Hey guys, I posted a video to help. The video is of driving down a subdivision, you’ll hear the taps. Passenger rear side. I’m going to take my wheel off today and inspect. I thought the isolators and new springs would fix it seeing how bad the old ones were in the photos. Maybe the rear end needs an alignment? To shift it as it only taps on one side (spring touch’s car) not sure.

Here is the link. The ending is a separate steering creak. Only at low speed or not moving at all.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
There really isn't a way to shift to the IRS side to side. Plus I don't know how much it would help in your current situation.

I have to say I've never seen this issue before. I know you said the shop tried to bend that piece, but maybe grab a bigger wrench and try again. Are the control bushings still in good shape?

As for the creaking, if it's coming from the outside it's probably the sleeves for the rack bushings. I believe there was a TSB back in the day about replacing them.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Caseindaplace

Established Member
Thanks for the reply! Yea I am going back tonight to lift the car up. It’s much easier to see and work rather than floor and jack stands. It’s done this since I bought it. It has to be ISO related, maybe they aren’t on right? Who knows

I think you are right about the steering bushings or sleeves. I saw that posting on here and I will probably do the MM upgrade for $40

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
My thinking is that the mark you see is more of a rub mark. The noise in the video sounds more like a bad bushing to me. Like maybe a sway bar bushing went bad. My front sway bar bushing were bad and would knock once in a while.

You could always squeeze some fuel line in that spot just to test your theory of it being the spring though.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Didn't even think about that. Even had it happen to a friend. Glad you got it sorted out.

Caseindaplace

Established Member
Didn't even think about that. Even had it happen to a friend. Glad you got it sorted out.

Thanks. Can’t believe it was that simple but at least I got to change a whole lot of other bushings in the elimination process.

Next is maybe the brake rattle clips. I hear they can cause a rotating squeak or chirp while driving - no braking. I’ll start there and move on to bearings if not fixed

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Thanks. Can’t believe it was that simple but at least I got to change a whole lot of other bushings in the elimination process.

Next is maybe the brake rattle clips. I hear they can cause a rotating squeak or chirp while driving - no braking. I’ll start there and move on to bearings if not fixed

If it's in the rear check the hub nuts. I had issues with my rear hub bearings going bad. The driver side was the worst. It would chirp until I hit the brakes. I almost crashed because of how bad it got.

Caseindaplace

Established Member
If it's in the rear check the hub nuts. I had issues with my rear hub bearings going bad. The driver side was the worst. It would chirp until I hit the brakes. I almost crashed because of how bad it got.

Dang, I’ll check it out!!

Last edited:

Caseindaplace

Established Member
View attachment 1461821

One thing about older cars, bushings rot.

The noise was the rear upper shock bushing. It was loose and the bushing underneath the car had had it.

$5 part from MM - done

Got the new bushing installed and can you believe it is still tapping... I noticed something. If you look at these photos, look to the right of the bushing where the wheel well is, the glue or foam is indented. I wonder if the metal plate that sits on top of the bushing is taping and scraping the metal of the car?

Ideas? Possible?

Old bushing
IMG_0976.JPG

New bushing
IMG_1259.JPG

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Anything is possible. You could take the washer off and grind a flat spot right there and see if it helps.

Users who are viewing this thread