suspension upgrade for vert help

marshall_cobra

Established Member
I recently took ownership of a low mile near mint 98 cobra vert. Fun car but suspension needs some work. currently only thing it has done are the eibach springs. For the most part I'm a little happy with the stance. but thinking about possibly ordering H&R springs for it.

Mostly just a weekend driving car and will occasionally take it to do some auto cross type stuff. Not into drag racing but once in a blue moon. What all would you recommend for helping this car out?

things I've already got on my list to buy
bilstein hd shocks/struts
subframe connectors mm
caster camber plates
upper and lower control arms

Would those things listed right there make a noticeable difference?

Would like to keep it under $2k

Last edited:

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
things I've already got on my list to buy
bilstein hd shocks/struts
subframe connectors mm
caster camber plates
upper and lower control arms

Would those things listed right there make a noticeable difference?

Would like to keep it under $2k

Those are good upgrades. Maybe stick with the Eibach if you like the stance, because the H&R ride a bit on the harsher side. Go with Maximum Motorsports parts, hands down best quality and tech support.

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
Depending on how many miles are on it, you might want to throw on new balljoints and front control arm bushings. And if there's room left in the budget, a bumpsteer kit and panhard bar will help.

Last edited:

1996mustangGt

Established Member
It made a huge difference on my 96 convertible. I had basically re did my whole suspension. It drives like its on rails now. I had bought the eibach pro kit which came with shocks, springs, and sway bars. I put maximum motorsport caster camber plates, baer bumpsteer kit, new front control arms with ball joints, new spring isolators, i also bought the cheapo late model restoration sve upper and lower rear control arms. Wasnt very impressed with the cheap control arms but i suppose they have been doing what i need it to do for just a driver. The welds on them didn't look the best. All in all i think i spent about 1200-1400 on the whole setup.

i911fire

I found a low milage (52K) '98 Cobra Vert a week ago. I am loving finally having a Mustang not to mention a Cobra drop top. Anyway I have been reading all about all of these different subframe connectors. Just when thought my choice would be the MMs, I came across the Stifflers fit system. It looks like they have a whole setup that will stiffen the whole thing up. Any suggestions?

Additionally in my junk yard shopping for new/factory taillights (the ones that were on it were the clear Euro style), I found an SN95 that has a complete Eibach setup installed. Shocks, Struts, sway bars, and springs. IS this an upgrade to the factory SVT system? The whole system can be had for around $100 if I pull it.

Any other suggestions and ideas would be appreciated. If this was a GM A or B body I would be a good resource.

Thanks

Ryan

wr450

Established Member
exactly what my plans are for my kids 95, pro kit springs and i figured i would replace the front control arms while im in there, question, where did u get the front control arms and what brand and how much did they tighten up the slop on the front our car has 130,000 and its 20 years old so i would expect the bushing and ball joints to be worn. i was looking at those late model rears for the reason they have rubber bushings and i dont want poly, they claim they recently redid them with heavier welds same question for those did they tighten up the rear alot

Treek

Established Member
The Bilstein HD's are great.
with H&R Super Sports it is a little bumpy on the street but may be perfect for autocross. Made a huge difference over stock.
the CC plates may be a necessity, they were with this combination.

I would go with full length subframe connectors next, that should really tighten it up.

JCP281

Corner Carvin
Established Member
With my old vert, I set it up to be a corner carver as best I could with the budget I had at the time.

The mods I had were:

MM subframe connector (by far the very FIRST thing you need to do)
Eibach pro-kit
Bilstein HDs
IRS swap

Some criticisms I had about the shock/spring setup was while it handled fine, if you got to the edge of the limits of the tires the car did not react very well if you had to do transitional turn like sweepers.

On my current 99 Cobra I have mm SFC, koni yellows and H&R race springs and the car handles sweepers much better at the limit of the tires. I find the adjustability of the konis is probably the main difference because I can dial out some of the understeer from the front.

In terms of using your budget to the max, I would snag the subfram connectors (figure about 400 bucks installed)
Pick your springs and shocks (should be able to do this for around 1000, install yourself...its easy)
Caster/Camber plates (200ish for the parts, easy to install but figure 100 or so for an alignment)

so for about 1700 bucks you will have a nice setup. Its not going to beat miatas in autocross, but it will handle much better as your getting rid of a lot of old parts for newer tech parts. Honestly the best money spent is the SFC's and the alignment with the caster/camber plates. Running -2.5* or less of camber will really help the car stick in turns and not understeer so damn much.

With the last 300 bucks of your budget I would either buy lower control arms or a panhard bar..or if you can take the hit, both. The lower control arms and PHB will help locate the rear axle a ton better so it wont walk around so much on you mid corner.

After you get those, then it gets expensive as the next step is a torque arm. a TA/PHB rear end really wakes up the SRA 8.8 and turns it into a very capable car. Then you can spend another 2 grand on the front running a k member/tubular a-arms and coil overs. LOL lots of ways to spend your money.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread