svt focus shift issue

TRPKelly

Hey guys my girlfriends focus recently started having problems shifting, goes into all gears fine, but in all the "down gears" 2, 4, 6, the shifter almost seems to be pulling too far. You will shift into 2nd, then any pressure kicks the shifter up about 1", but its still in gear. If I move the shift selector on the transmission into 2nd, the shifter is in that "forward" position, and can still be pulled towards you some. I will upload a video of the issue shortly, but has anyone had this issue as well?

Heres the video
http://youtu.be/Q8XMsEdGZ5o

Last edited:

Steve@Tasca

Check the linkage at the trans end and on the right side of the shifter, also check the cable ends and make sure they're adjusted and locked properly.

shftblock.jpg

shifterbushing2.jpg

BUSHING.jpg

Oh, and clean that interior, could be the car is just mad about the way it's being kept ;)

-Steve

TRPKelly

Looking at those pics I noticed my gf's car doesnt have those little black pieces on the linkage , all I sed on hers is exposed gold, think that might make a difference or just different years? I know its dirty lol, she cleans it every once in a while but its time again

Steve@Tasca

Looking at those pics I noticed my gf's car doesnt have those little black pieces on the linkage , all I sed on hers is exposed gold, think that might make a difference or just different years? I know its dirty lol, she cleans it every once in a while but its time again

All SVTs are identical as far as shift linkage (and most other parts) goes, which black pieces are missing from hers?

It also appears from your video that her car has an aftermarket short throw shifter in it.

-Steve

Last edited:

TRPKelly

Oh its an aftermarket shifter? Ill take a pic later and post it of the shifter. The black pieces im thinking of are on the cable itself, in the pics you posted theyre the black cylinders around the gold part of the cable, one has 2 little ridges on the left side and the other has them on the right side, her car doesnt have those

Steve@Tasca

They're there, they're just slightly different. There were two different sets of cables used in the SVT but they're very similar to each other.

20131204_185101_zpsbd1ec0b4.jpg

Those little dust boots wouldn't affect shifting anyways. Any white dust on the floor on the right side of the shifter?

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread