SVTP Exclusive :: SVT's Shelby GT500 Mustang Takes on the Nürburgring

662HP631TQ

Established Member
I am glad you continually caveat-ed this with "These are estimations" Because that is all that is going to come out of the other camp. I found the whole thing awesome, but as someone said, and I am summarizing here, "Ford doesn't care about ring times" and guess what neither do I. I don't mean that in an mean spirited way I just mean that the car is AWESOME either way. GM has very clever marketing folks and that is great, and I'd even venture to say they have a very nice product (EXCEPT STYLING!) but I made my choice for a reason. I love that this shows that the cars are competitive and maybe the GT500 wins. But I am just proud to own a piece of American Muscle history!

OZ Dude

Going Crazy Down Under!
Established Member
Did anyone else notice the other Mustang parked by the side of the track at 2:04:06 on the track timer??

Just_a_car_guy

Established Member
Sure I'll hand it to the GT500....it performs damn good. Maybe it really did beat the ZL1.

But as for this thread; First off the time stamp was added to this video. I understand SID whom added the time stamp says he carefully did it to help ensure accuracy...but come on. It could be off by as much as a second or two depending on several things.

Next....do we really think that GM may have fudged their times?? I see how SID came to that conclusion bit based on what he found trying to put these videos together? But isn't that a bit desperate sounding? Did you ever think that GM likely timed their lap with actual timing equipment and once they got the lap the added the time stamp with the accurate time to their video? I can guarantee you they didn't just run a video recorder with a timer on it and use that as their official time. That is why the start and end lines don't match up with your GT500 video.

Again...not putting down the Shelby....it was a hell of a run. I just think making any real claims or arguments based on this video is a bit....silly. At most...you can say that the GT500 ran within a second or two of the ZL1 good or bad.

I guess that in of itself is enough to upset some people.

dubbsfaris

Shelby SP Region Director
Established Member
+1000 my south Texas Brother! You sum it up perfectly. I don't need proof. I already know. That is why there is a shiny new 2014 GT500 sitting in my driveway, and no bow ties.

Captain Beyond

Established Member
Sure I'll hand it to the GT500....it performs damn good. Maybe it really did beat the ZL1.

But as for this thread; First off the time stamp was added to this video. I understand SID whom added the time stamp says he carefully did it to help ensure accuracy...but come on. It could be off by as much as a second or two depending on several things.

Next....do we really think that GM may have fudged their times?? I see how SID came to that conclusion bit based on what he found trying to put these videos together? But isn't that a bit desperate sounding? Did you ever think that GM likely timed their lap with actual timing equipment and once they got the lap the added the time stamp with the accurate time to their video? I can guarantee you they didn't just run a video recorder with a timer on it and use that as their official time. That is why the start and end lines don't match up with your GT500 video.

Again...not putting down the Shelby....it was a hell of a run. I just think making any real claims or arguments based on this video is a bit....silly. At most...you can say that the GT500 ran within a second or two of the ZL1 good or bad.

Did you forget that GM is notorious for lying about performance #s? Just look at the zl1 debacle. They are the ones that proclaimed it the "GT500 slayer" and also stated that it would easily "run 11s all day long." :lol1:

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
Did you forget that GM is notorious for lying about performance #s? Just look at the zl1 debacle. They are the ones that proclaimed it the "GT500 slayer" and also stated that it would easily "run 11s all day long." :lol1:

This!

GM has ZERO credibility...

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
the only thing i've got to say is that all of these cars were being pushed to the absolute ragged edge, and it takes some ****ing BALLS to do that!

wow broski, way to read WAAAY too deep into this. oh wait, you're just a ****in butt hurt come along from C5, of course you're going to overreact your ass off to this:lol:

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
Awesome thread and detective work. GM camp is going to be on suicide watch. Ring times are bs tho.

AZBOSS

Established Member
I'm surprised SVT didn't release this video officially, but I'm wondering if they were sitting on this purposely to let GM play their hand.

The times are very impressive, especially for street tires.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

You are correct, I did add the timer. Just as I said, it is by no means exact. However, if anything I erred on the side of caution. If anything the run may be a bit faster than how I set it up.

Do I believe that GM would doctor a timer, use a ringer car, or make false claims? Absolutely; remember that to them these times are advertising. As has been mentioned in this thread, they've been caught with their hand in the cookie jar before.

I don't believe it is too difficult to claim that the Chevy shut the timer off on the Z/28 run quite a bit before the stripe that everyone I asked purported as the "official" lap ending point. Having the secondary camera angle makes it very evident. Don't believe it? Examine the video for yourself. I didn't do anything special or use terribly sophisticated software. Basically anyone could conduct the same examinations I did, and I welcome them to post their findings here.

Personally, I don't care all that much about 'Ring times. I prefer seeing comparisons on tracks I have experience with, such as VIR.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Nice. Good work Sid. It takes more effort to drive the GT500 but it was without a doubt faster than the ZL1.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
One thing I just thought of if you're looking for the official start/stop points for the Ring is to maybe go check out where Gran Turismo or Forza has it at. They may be video games but they are pretty adamant about getting every little piece right, especially on the Ring.

The only question I have Travis is: you started the timer at the forward mark right before the first turn which I know to be correct, but isn't the finish there also? You ended the timer right after the last turn which is like 50-100ft before the start point. That's actually what I specifically remember from playing Gran Turismo so that kind of calls into question what they produce, but they have quite a bit of experience on this track with how much they study it. Aside from that I'm sure there's plenty of other sources but I think that's why there's so much controversy over Ring times.

I like that Ford tests there but doesn't advertise with it. As of lately Posrsche has veered away from pushing their times because it's been so overhyped. It used to be one of their things but then everyone joined in and Chevy raped any validity it ever had for their own marketing so Porsche has steered away and Ford just stayed away. It's sort of a hipster mentality but it's the truth. Chevy brags they are the fastest while the other manufactures know even if they have the fastest time it will only be short lived because there will be something better and faster, so when that time comes they're going to name your car as the car that was dethroned which equals bad press. Let GM play in their own little world and just keep your shit on the downlow and let the cars speak for themselves at the track.

The only reason the hypercars use the Ring still is because no one can play on their level and the cars are so highly engineered and unique that no fudging needs to be done. Regardless of Ring times people will still buy the P1, La Ferrari, 918, Huyra, and Koenigseggs. The times are posted for the sole reason that these cars are the pinnacle of engineering.

Last edited:

Ramairgt1

Whipped
Established Member
Awesome video!
The engineers I spoke with at Road Atlanta last year mentioned they did some testing at Nürburgring but Ford wouldnt publish the times. They had huge grins on their faces when I asked how it did but wouldnt divulge any further.

hey11101

Established Member
Video was pretty great, I had a feeling he was going to loose it there a couple of times but the car was planted. Would have been cool to see mph with the vid cause he was hauling ass most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread