SVTP Exclusive :: SVT's Shelby GT500 Mustang Takes on the Nürburgring

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
I absolutely love the kicking and screaming... I'm just exited to hear from those that told me the numbers I originally report were impossible. I can name two dozen people I'd like to hear from.

I tried to warn them and yet I get more flak then most posters for trying to be honest and accurate. Team Camaro tried and failed, twice. I guess it was how I presented myself... Just like it doesn't matter the GT500 is just as fast at the Ring as the Z's... Now it's "how" it managed to post a better time.

I think I will compile a list of those I would like to hear from. Let's start with Camaro5 member 2nd Chance... He is furious...

Some things to consider guys... Chevy uses the same method SID did to overlay the time. Obviously, the clock started late and stopped early so, that is pretty much the only way to do it. The whole dual screen and overlay was added... and now we find out the Camaro was shaving time. Shameful man, a huge blow to the American Automotive Industries credibility. It has to be obvious this release was merely to smear the "Boss is faster" comment in Al's face. You better hope Al is wrong C5... Zfatuated??? Mr. Road Course himself... He was wrong about everything z28 related. It is not a feasible option for organized racing and yes, the GT500 can handle the Ring. I'd like to hear from most of the House members... I know they are just as excited as I am.

Again fella's, just like most of the other topics I talk about, my 7:30-7:40 Ring times were accurate...

I SAY AGAIN...

7:30-7:40

Not 7:39... 7:30-7:40. Granted, Red was probably the missing GT500KR that Ford didn't need to produce. The ZL1 got its ass kicked, the z28 probably will only do marginally better. In the 1/4 mile??? Just go home, in fact, don't even show up... The GT500 is undisputed there... No 50/50 there.

I heard someone suggest a 30 frames per second video is somehow faster than 60 per second???????? Now matter how it's recorded dumbass, 30 or 60... a second is a second, 60 of them still make a minute. FPS affects video quality, not playback speed.

Shaving lap times
Running cages, racing seats and probably no interior. Shaved tires wouldn't surprise me.
Sandbagging the competitions lap
Running non-caged competition vs. A caged application

Not a very decent marketing campaign, there is a difference between Cut Throat Marketing (see Jim Farley) and Slime-Ball Marketing (see Team Camaro).

I do not respect the 5th Gen for pretty much anything... However, I can still respect those who were wrong. It's a difficult thing to deal with when your belief system collapses... Even guys like Terry, Chance and many others that have been misled... Can you blame them??? The last few that resist this new found fact will eventual just accept it later.

It still amuses me that Ford is still winning media with a 2 year old car. The GT500 is truly greatness in its rawest form. You lucky owners have something really special... Way beyond Terminator reputation...

Last edited:

Poppacapp

Established Member
why??? it't not like it was 7:20 or something earth shattering. 5k extra gets you a 2 second quicker car around a 7 mile track in a different country. seem like in the world of you get what you pay for all is well to me.

If the TP/PP car would have been 55k like my Zl1 I would have bought it instead.

then again I like both cars always have. they both do very well for a 4 seater.

Gotcha.... pay few thousand less for an all around slower car. Check.

While we are on that way of thinking I am going to go get a Honda Civic because it costs less. :lol1:

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
Gotcha.... pay few thousand less for an all around slower car. Check.

While we are on that way of thinking I am going to go get a Honda Civic because it costs less. :lol1:

He's getting frustrated so I'll translate it for you. For $5k more, you get 2 extra seconds (about 100 feet) on a 12.93 mile track (Not a 7 mile track). That means the GT500 cost close to $61,000 to do so (drag racing aside). He didn't bring up that a potential $70,000 price tag would get you another 1.8 seconds for $9000 more (z28). Compare it to the ZL1 and you get 3.8 seconds for $14,000 (about 200 feet).

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
I hate to ask what I think is a stupid question, but thats never stopped me before so....do the timed laps at the 'Ring start from a dead stop or are they rolling already???

hognutz

Established Member
He's getting frustrated so I'll translate it for you. For $5k more, you get 2 extra seconds (about 100 feet) on a 12.93 mile track (Not a 7 mile track). That means the GT500 cost close to $61,000 to do so (drag racing aside). He didn't bring up that a potential $70,000 price tag would get you another 1.8 seconds for $9000 more (z28). Compare it to the ZL1 and you get 3.8 seconds for $14,000 (about 200 feet).

WTF are you talking about? I have 580hp to wheels and costs all of $1200 to get there. wow. I am 56.7k in and its a drivers race.

this is exaclty why I made my decision and I have no regrets. took 4k and bough my 8" lift for my megcab.

maybe if you were more money minded you would actually have a GT500 haha instead of jo'ing to it ring time.

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
WTF are you talking about? I have 580hp to wheels and costs all of $1200 to get there. wow. I am 56.7k in and its a drivers race.

this is exaclty why I made my decision and I have no regrets. took 4k and bough my 8" lift for my megcab.

maybe if you were more money minded you would actually have a GT500 haha instead of jo'ing to it ring time.

Now youre talking modified.

Put that same $1200 in the Shelby and its right back to square 1. Maybe even worse...

Bye bye "drivers race"

Poppacapp

Established Member
Are they alowed to start at any rolling speed or is there a limit???

THANKS!!!:beer::beer::beer:

I assume they go out first lap to warm tires up.. then the start rolling full tilt... timer starts when they cross starts/finish line.

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
I assume they go out first lap to warm tires up.. then the start rolling full tilt... timer starts when they cross starts/finish line.

Gotcha!!! So they are flat out when they start...seems to me that'd mske for a lot of different times for the same cars.

KILRSVT

Established Member
God that was fast!!! I envy the driver and I want the car lol. No matter how you cut it I gotta give credit to ford the GT500 has managed to top or beat the camaro z/28 time without needing magnetic suspension or a 305 tire and irs. Wow great footage

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member

The modded arguememt ends now... Besides, I'm sure Team Camaro made some modifications. They got the best time from the ZL1 on the last day, last run of testing. Probably needed a boost... The z28 recorded its best time of 7:37 in some very minor precipitation.

The GT500 is just a better all a round performance car...

Don't worry about my GT500, Ford hasn't built it yet.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
This just happen...

919654_616435295054906_439158801_o.jpg

monsterpost

Established Member
WOW; someone posted the link from here of the split screen of the Shelby and zl1 over at slowmaro5 and BAM, now its gone. The Mods over there either can't take it anymore or GM the real power that over see's that website said take it down.

O'Neill

Established Member
I spent a lot of time looking around for information about this, but eventually gave up thinking this video would never surface. Now suddenly tonight I decide to search after months and I find this!

Excellent vid and write-up SID297! Thanks for sharing!!

Users who are viewing this thread