SVTP Installs and Reviews the MGW Race Spec Shifter for the 2015 Mustang

ticopowell

Newish to SVT
Established Member
Various places... CA, UT, OK, been in TX and CO a
1.) Completely dropping the transmission crossmember gives you a little more room to work.
2.) IMO the hardest part was getting the rubber shift boot to seat, I found it easier to use the alternate method mentioned in the install vid instead of the one shown.
3.) If you have a GT, you basically have to have someone hang on the drive shaft to get it low enough to remove/install the front/top bolt.

1. 100% Agreed, there isn't much room in there to do much.
2. I used jack stands for the install and to get the boot on I had to jack the tranny up all the way to get the boot on, the way in the video didn't work very well for me as well.
3. I had my roommate pushing down on the driveshaft from inside the car and I was hanging on the tranny from under the car. Not only was I hanging but I had to try and push the tranny from side to side to get the bolt in and out.. Dropping the transmission will probably happen if I ever have to take the MGW off.

Overall I couldn't ask for anything more with the MGW, install went well and the only transmission issues I have now are inherent MT82 problems.

jdcobra

Established Member
1. 100% Agreed, there isn't much room in there to do much.
2. I used jack stands for the install and to get the boot on I had to jack the tranny up all the way to get the boot on, the way in the video didn't work very well for me as well.
3. I had my roommate pushing down on the driveshaft from inside the car and I was hanging on the tranny from under the car. Not only was I hanging but I had to try and push the tranny from side to side to get the bolt in and out.. Dropping the transmission will probably happen if I ever have to take the MGW off.

Overall I couldn't ask for anything more with the MGW, install went well and the only transmission issues I have now are inherent MT82 problems.

Why not just unbolt the driveshaft from the transmission and from the middle?

ticopowell

Newish to SVT
Established Member
Why not just unbolt the driveshaft from the transmission and from the middle?

The issue is that the transmission is too close to the body of the car for the bolt to come out, the driveshaft actually helps in this case because it gives somewhere to pull on to get the space needed.

The bolt that is sticking out in this picture is the issue... as you can see there isn't much room before it hits the tunnel. The only way I found to get more room is to pull the transmission down using the driveshaft.. I could have possibly used some sort of lever to get the leverage to not need help, but it wasn't going to happen with what I had at hand.

jdcobra

Established Member
The issue is that the transmission is too close to the body of the car for the bolt to come out, the driveshaft actually helps in this case because it gives somewhere to pull on to get the space needed.

The bolt that is sticking out in this picture is the issue... as you can see there isn't much room before it hits the tunnel. The only way I found to get more room is to pull the transmission down using the driveshaft.. I could have possibly used some sort of lever to get the leverage to not need help, but it wasn't going to happen with what I had at hand.

Ah I see what Ya mean. Damn. Even with the troublesome bolt how long did the install take you?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

That step goes a lot easier on a GT if you have someone to help pull down on the DS while you slide the bolt in. It's much easier on the EcoBoost cars because the tranny sits lower in the the body than the GTs.

ticopowell

Newish to SVT
Established Member
Ah I see what Ya mean. Damn. Even with the troublesome bolt how long did the install take you?

It took probably 4 hours, half an hour with that bolt alone coming out and then going in... tried for a bit without help then got my friend to push on the driveshaft to help. It would have been quicker but I stopped a few times to review the videos. I also took my time and didn't rush anything.

That step goes a lot easier on a GT if you have someone to help pull down on the DS while you slide the bolt in. It's much easier on the EcoBoost cars because the tranny sits lower in the the body than the GTs.

Even with my friend helping it took a bit to get it in... I think part of the problem was the lack of movement in the engine itself, as in my friend was putting his full weight on the driveshaft from above(wasn't enough room for both of us under the car) and I was hanging on it as much as I could from under the car and it still was difficult. This is on a 2014 GT so it is probably a little different than on the 15's.

KonaFifty

Established Member
you dont really need another person for that bolt. just pull down hard on the driveshaft while pulling the bolt out at the same time...you will get it out easy.

TrackpackGT

Established Member
Mine finally shipped for my 14! I was close to cancelling my order and using the money towards my suspension, but I really would like to shift to 4th gear at WOT.

jdcobra

Established Member
3926326238720bc2380610c6be8847d5.jpg

Finally got mine in :beer:

jdcobra

Established Member

My dad stuck his foot through the tunnel and used his weight that way lol

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Zporta and I installed mine last weekend. Install went smooth. You pretty much use locktite on everything. We jumped the gun a couple time and after installing the bolt got to the part that said use locktite so we had to remove it and apply it. We used a lift and it took 2hrs. Hardest part was that black rubber boot. Took about 30min to get it to seat properly. Shifts great, very minimal vibration is felt in the shift knob. Next up is new tranny fluid.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Zporta and I installed mine last weekend. Install went smooth. You pretty much use locktite on everything. We jumped the gun a couple time and after installing the bolt got to the part that said use locktite so we had to remove it and apply it. We used a lift and it took 2hrs. Hardest part was that black rubber boot. Took about 30min to get it to seat properly. Shifts great, very minimal vibration is felt in the shift knob. Next up is new tranny fluid.

I have some Amsoil for mine.

Users who are viewing this thread