SVTP Previews the Magnuson 4.6 3V Supercharger System

After the success we have experienced with the 2.3L Magnuson supercharger kit on the 5.0 Coyote Powered SVTP GT we we’re really excited to get a chance to work with its little brother. Magnuson’s MP1900 TVS Supercharger Kit for 2007-2009 S197 Mustangs with the 4.6L 3V V8 is a truly impressive looking system. The 1900 TVS blower features Eaton’s latest 6th Generation supercharger rotor technology, which can also be found in 2013-14 SVT Mustang GT500 5.8L Trinity engine. Eaton’s TVS technology consists of a pair of four-lobe, high-helix rotors with 160-degrees of overall twist. This results in a supercharger that requires less power to drive, delivers cooler discharge temperatures, and is much quieter than many of its competitors. Magnuson claims this 1.9L blower can add an additional 140 horsepower and 120 foot-pounds of torque at the rear wheels @ 7 psi. As is common with positive displacement blowers and their nearly always available boost, power under the curve is significantly increased.

The kit features a large liquid-to-air intercooler to keep intake air temperatures typically only 20-40 degrees over the ambient air temperatures. As with all Magnuson supercharger kits this one includes everything you need down to the smallest bolt. It’s also shipped as an assembly with the supercharger, supercharger intake manifold, inlet, pulley, fuel injectors, fuel rails, front and rear fuel crossovers, and intercooler coming pre-assembled to make installation simple and easy. Even the ancillary components are organized into individual sub-assemblies to make keeping track of the parts simpler. Complimenting their OEM level of quality, Magnuson includes a Ford sourced a GT500 Throttle Body, GT500 Air Intake, and GT500 Air Box. As with our 5.0 kit, the full color step-by-step installation instructions are easy to follow and very thorough. Magnuson backs their kits with a 3-year/36,000 mile warranty, and even offers an optional 3-years/36,000 mile powertrain warranty to give you up to $5,000 of protection on the motor, $1,500 on the transmission, and $1,500 on the rear-end of your Mustang.

The intercooler core is large unit that takes up all the extra space in the the engine valley.

Magnuson_4.6_Preview_001.jpg

The intake plenum is is a wide-open casting designed to accept the GT500 throttle body that is included in the kit.

Magnuson_4.6_Preview_002.jpg

The boost by-pass valve allows the engine to not experience boost until it's needed. This helps reduce stress on the engine and increases fuel mileage.

Magnuson_4.6_Preview_003.jpg

The supercharger is shipped as an assembly so you don't have to worry about assembling the fuel injectors and rails.

Magnuson_4.6_Preview_004.jpg

The IAT sensor is relocated to one of the manifold runners. Each blower is fully inspected and tested before being shipped out.

Magnuson_4.6_Preview_005.jpg

All of the castings are thick and very high quality.

Magnuson_4.6_Preview_006.jpg

Magnuson machines in slots to make use of the stock o-ring style intake manifold gaskets, a great choice IMO.

Magnuson_4.6_Preview_010.jpg

These indentations are molded into the lower manifold allow for proper clearance around the knock sensors and other components. We removed the lower manifold bolts to do a little experiment.

Magnuson_4.6_Preview_011.jpg

The intercooler included with the 4.6 kit is very similar to the one found in Magnuson's 5.0 kit, fairly thin but with a huge amount of surface area.

Magnuson_4.6_Preview_007.jpg

All of the hoses and hardware are chosen to make the install as simple and clean as possible.

Magnuson_4.6_Preview_008.jpg

Magnuson's kits are nothing if not thorough. They even include an SCT tuner.

Magnuson_4.6_Preview_009.jpg

Now for the fun part; I'm excited to say we have very different plans for this kit than Magnuson ever intended it to be used for. Next week we'll be posting the first in a series of articles where we will be covering the install of this 1.9L supercharger system on my daily driver 2009 Ford Explorer V8. I know you have to be a little sick in the head to want to boost a V8 DD SUV, but when I saw this Magnuson system I knew I had to have it. What do you guys think; good idea or a great idea?

We have a lot of work ahead of us.

Magnuson_4.6_Lots_O_Work_001.jpg

Special Thanks To:

Magnuson Superchargers

Photos by StacyStangz

-SID297:beer:

To I have to honestly say what I think of this? Because I think it's an AWESOME idea!!!

Honestly, I'm surprised that people don't pick up Explorers to build fun DD's from. If I don't end up with a new DD(classic...) come spring and keep the Explorer, then I am going to add a little boost. What are you plans for lowering, if at all?

Do they have plans to release a "tuner" kit for those of us who do not need all the supporting parts? (ie SCT tuner etc)

To I have to honestly say what I think of this? Because I think it's an AWESOME idea!!!

Honestly, I'm surprised that people don't pick up Explorers to build fun DD's from. If I don't end up with a new DD(classic...) come spring and keep the Explorer, then I am going to add a little boost. What are you plans for lowering, if at all?

I wouldn't mind it being an inch lower all around, but I don't know of a really good way to do it on a Gen 4. In addition to that I have one size larger tires on the 20 inch wheels so they fill the wheel wells nicely. So I'm not really looking into dropping it. If there was an actual kit out there that could produce better handling I'd really look into it, but I'm not interested in doing a hack job.

If you know of anyone that will be interested in this project send them over this way. We'll be kicking it all off next week.

Do they have plans to release a "tuner" kit for those of us who do not need all the supporting parts? (ie SCT tuner etc)

I was referring to a tuner kit for the Explorer, but I'm not sure about the base Mustang kit. They may do it if the interest is there for it.

I would think a "tuner" kit as long as it had all the necessary base parts to insall on a 4.6 3-valve would work on both the explorer and any custom/transplant applications such as mine. Really if they just got rid of the tuner, knock $3-400 off of the price, that would get it to sub $5k street price and would be an excellent value. I really like how clean this set-up looks and the fact that it has a very low overall height. The big issue with putting the mod motors in older cars is not just the width, but also the increased height if you want to go with a positive disp blower.

This is a great thread and I am glad to see you venturing off the mustang path. Lots of valuable information to be gained.

I would think a "tuner" kit as long as it had all the necessary base parts to insall on a 4.6 3-valve would work on both the explorer and any custom/transplant applications such as mine. Really if they just got rid of the tuner, knock $3-400 off of the price, that would get it to sub $5k street price and would be an excellent value. I really like how clean this set-up looks and the fact that it has a very low overall height. The big issue with putting the mod motors in older cars is not just the width, but also the increased height if you want to go with a positive disp blower.

This is a great thread and I am glad to see you venturing off the mustang path. Lots of valuable information to be gained.

Some custom mods had to be done to the kit to get it to work on the Explorer, that's what I meant as offering it as a tuner kit. Removing just the tuner from the kit isn't going to save all that much, and you probably want to keep the rails and injectors.

I don't get it - what's the point of a 1.9L blower for the 3v motor? It's already easy enough to max out a 2.3L.

The 1.9L is far more efficient than the 2.3 at this power level. Essentially it can make the same power with less waste. One of the guys from Magnuson can probably post a much more detailed explanation.

The 1.9l does very well on the 4.6l, it actually has higher peak efficiency at some parts of the map die to it's L to D ratio, that is one reason I chose it for my m90 TVS replacement head unit. Now if someone would just offer a non intercooled kit it would be possible to give the low cost centris a run for their money in the price and torque department.

I had to double take this thing when I saw it at mustang week Travis. I was going to ask you about it but we were heading out that day and you were busy with others. Very clean install!

I had to double take this thing when I saw it at mustang week Travis. I was going to ask you about it but we were heading out that day and you were busy with others. Very clean install!

Thanks. It's funny, I'm pretty sure that Explorer got more looks most places than my Lightning does.

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to have to delay the first part of this article for a week. This is easily the most massive article I've ever taken on and it's taking long than anticipated to get everything organized and laid out. I'll be posting a different article later this afternoon.

What an awesome project. I think it's an awesome idea that you're modding your explorer and I'm really looking forward to reading about it.

The thing I really like about the 4.6 3V motor is that there's a lot of good off the shelf parts for that motor such as the FRPP CNC heads, hot rod cams, not to mention a wide variety of PD blowers.

I'm a big fan of Explorer modding and I haven't seen much done to the newer 4.6 versions like yours.

I bought a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer with 200,000 miles on it for around $1500 bucks. The motor was burning oil, so my friends and I swapped in 347 with a trick flow h/c/i package. We kept the super-quiet factory exhaust to keep it a sleeper, but we installed cutouts for when it was time to confuse people. That motor was waiting to go into a Mustang, but my friend sold the roller to someone else. It was neat to swap over all the explorer parts on to the long block, including the COP ignition system.

Speaking of explorer parts swapping, it'll be interesting to see which mustang or explorer-specific parts you use, keep, or create.

It was the most fun I've ever had in an SUV.

What an awesome project. I think it's an awesome idea that you're modding your explorer and I'm really looking forward to reading about it.

The thing I really like about the 4.6 3V motor is that there's a lot of good off the shelf parts for that motor such as the FRPP CNC heads, hot rod cams, not to mention a wide variety of PD blowers.

I'm a big fan of Explorer modding and I haven't seen much done to the newer 4.6 versions like yours.

I bought a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer with 200,000 miles on it for around $1500 bucks. The motor was burning oil, so my friends and I swapped in 347 with a trick flow h/c/i package. We kept the super-quiet factory exhaust to keep it a sleeper, but we installed cutouts for when it was time to confuse people. That motor was waiting to go into a Mustang, but my friend sold the roller to someone else. It was neat to swap over all the explorer parts on to the long block, including the COP ignition system.

Speaking of explorer parts swapping, it'll be interesting to see which mustang or explorer-specific parts you use, keep, or create.

It was the most fun I've ever had in an SUV.

Thanks for the support. This has been a pretty big project and it's easily the largest article I've worked on so far. It's just taking me long than I had planned to put it together. It really should be postponed until we do a software upgrade in the very near future. That's something I may have to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread