SVTPerformance at the 2011 NAIAS for the F-150 EcoBoost Teardown

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
SVTPerformance at the 2011 NAIAS for the F-150 EcoBoost Teardown

IMG_0048-edit.jpg

January 15, 2011 is a day that will go down in Ford Motor Company history. For the first time ever Ford engineers tore down an extensively used and abused 3.5L F-150 EcoBoost engine in front of a live audience at the 2011 North American International Auto Show.

To prove the capabilities of the new EcoBoost engine in a truck application Ford selected one production engine straight off the Cleveland production line to show that it can handle everything they can throw at it and then some. The 3.5L TT V6 was ran for an equivalent of 150,000 extremely hard miles on an engine dyno, installed in an F-150 where it was then driven across the country to haul 55 tons of timber in the Pacific Northwest, it was then driven to Homestead Miami Raceway where it towed 11,300 pounds at full throttle around the track for 24 hours, from there it was driven to Arizona to race Dodge and GM V8 equipped trucks uphill while towing, the engine was then installed a custom built race truck where it competed in the Baja 1000. And as mentioned above, the final stop for the engine was be torn down so everyone can see how the internals held up to all the torture.

There was no chance that SVTP was going to miss out on something like that. We were the first spectators there and spent quite a bit of time talking to the engineers. The pride they take in their creation is evident and, in my opinion, well deserved. We thoroughly appreciate the opportunity Ford gave us and look forward to other events and collaborations in the future.

The festivities began at 11:00 am with the Chief Engineer for the F-150 Eco-Boost program introducing his team and talking a bit about the engine. One fact of particular interest that was after all the torture the engine was dyno’ed yet again where it produced the exact same 420 lbft of torque it left the factory with and only one less horsepower (364). While tearing the engine down the engineers measured valve lash and crankshaft end play, both of which spec’d out in a range that would be acceptable for a brand new engine just coming off the assembly line. It was truly impressive to see the remarkable condition of engine’s internals after all the abuse. Most of the components exhibited very little wear. In fact, one of the engineers mentioned that the parts were in such good shape that they were considering reassembling the engine and continuing to run it. The 3.5L EcoBoost is an extremely stout design and I have no doubt that the engine pictured below has many miles of hard work left in it.

Below are some pictures of the day’s events:

IMG_0047-edit.jpg

IMG_0054-edit.jpg

IMG_0072-edit.jpg

IMG_0078-edit.jpg

IMG_0079-edit.jpg

IMG_0085-edit.jpg

IMG_0086-edit.jpg

IMG_0089-edit.jpg

IMG_0091-edit.jpg

IMG_0095-edit.jpg

IMG_0096-edit.jpg

IMG_0097-edit.jpg

IMG_0098-edit.jpg

IMG_0099-edit.jpg

IMG_0100-edit.jpg

IMG_0101-edit.jpg

IMG_0102-edit.jpg

IMG_0107-edit.jpg

IMG_0114-edit.jpg

IMG_0115-edit.jpg

IMG_0116-edit.jpg

IMG_0117-edit.jpg

IMG_0118-edit.jpg

IMG_0119-edit.jpg

IMG_0120-edit.jpg

IMG_0121-edit.jpg

IMG_0122-edit.jpg

IMG_0123-edit.jpg

IMG_0124-edit.jpg

IMG_0127-edit.jpg

IMG_0166-edit.jpg

IMG_0170-edit.jpg

Here is some videos Ford shot of the teardown.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/PG6xZ3e4_pI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/PG6xZ3e4_pI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/3L8rEGAGMJg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/3L8rEGAGMJg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/PG2d_Y1bmKI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/PG2d_Y1bmKI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Ford has now posted Episode 6 in the EcoBoost Torture Test Series.

Ford F-150 EcoBoost Torture Test Episode 6: Teardown

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lToZuwbQhLk?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lToZuwbQhLk?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>​

Acknowledgment: Thanks to Rich5150 for lending your photography skills to make this possible.

Feel free to post any questions about the tear down you may have, we'll do our best to answer them.

-SID297:beer:

Badfish4.6

Established Member
I think i kno my what my next powerplant will be. Hope theirs a lot of factory backed or aftermarket performance parts for this engine!

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Very cool. Interesting crankshaft, with its offset throws.

Jim Snover

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
Very impressive. My next purchase was gonna b the 5.0l f-150 but I think im going TT v6.. frikkin awesome..

steeltoe

Established Member
I think i kno my what my next powerplant will be. Hope theirs a lot of factory backed or aftermarket performance parts for this engine!
Because an SHO owner who blow up his motor with a really aggressive tune and got it replaced under warranty and bragged about it on MF. Ford is encrypting all turbo engines PCMs which is all Eco-boost and 6.7 PSDs. There is also a TSB about tuning these motors
What was the estimated total milage on the engine. Also how did the Baja truck place?

160,000 miles 1st in stock engine class I don't know over all.

Last edited:

t56speed

Established Member
Wow that is awesome. Impressive :) that much abuse is more abuse than faliable. Im glad to see the engine did well.

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
That's cool. I'm glad SVTP was able to get pix of the teardown for us. As long as Livernois or Troyer or someone comes out with a tune that bumps the EcoBoost to the same horsepower as the stock 6.2L (365 -> 411 = 46 hp) with premium fuel, I'll be completely sold.

02wingless

ASE Master L1
Established Member
Neat technology for sure. But I'm not too crazy about the direct injection. Wonder how many top engine cleanings were done on that engine to clean combustion carbon out before teardown? Not trying to be negative, but let's face the facts, they haven't even been able to perfect a spark plug design for over ten years.

02wingless

ASE Master L1
Established Member
And for those who are curious about my beef with the direct injection...do a little diging. The Germans have been using gasoline direct injection for some time now, and they are having a lot problems with carbon buildup in the runners and eventually holding the valve open. Maybe I'm still a little upset over my old triton 3v:)

Badfish4.6

Established Member
Because an SHO owner who blow up his motor with a really aggressive tune and got it replaced under warranty and bragged about it on MF. Ford is encrypting all turbo engines PCMs which is all Eco-boost and 6.7 PSDs. There is also a TSB about tuning these motors.

of course someone had to ruin it for us all.... but hopefully people use that as a learning experience and dont over do it. still would like to see what kinda numbers that thing would put out

SVTwhore

Established Member
And for those who are curious about my beef with the direct injection...do a little diging. The Germans have been using gasoline direct injection for some time now, and they are having a lot problems with carbon buildup in the runners and eventually holding the valve open. Maybe I'm still a little upset over my old triton 3v:)

It sounds like the way they ran it the engine stayed hot enough to keep the carbon burned out. They would have had a lot more if it were put through the normal start and stop through town type of trips your average joe drives.

steeltoe

Established Member
That's cool. I'm glad SVTP was able to get pix of the teardown for us. As long as Livernois or Troyer or someone comes out with a tune that bumps the EcoBoost to the same horsepower as the stock 6.2L (365 -> 411 = 46 hp) with premium fuel, I'll be completely sold.

Mike Troyer probably already has a few things he wants to try when he gets one.

Users who are viewing this thread