SVTPerformance Cooler Heads Prevail : Reische Thermostat Install

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
www.svtperformance.com/forums/front...eads-prevail-reische-thermostat-install.html"

Making an engine run cooler has long been known as a way to increase longevity and produce more power. Thermostats that open earlier allow coolant to circulate to the radiator sooner, ideally keeping engine temperatures lower. That is, if your cooling system has the ability to flow enough coolant and dissipate heat well enough. That’s why switching to a colder thermostat has been a very popular mod over the years. One thing is for certain, a cooler running engine provides a bit of added protection against detonation in supercharged applications (by keeping the cylinder cooler). When it comes to lower temperature thermostats for Ford Modular engines there is basically one name to turn to, Reische Performance. And when it comes to places to buy a Reische thermostat there’s definitely only one place to go, Lethal Performance.

Reische 170° thermostats are custom made with the same large diaphragm and bypass valves as the OEM units, and they are modified by hand using only U.S. made parts. Reische then quality tests each unit to ensure consistent opening temps. They also include a new gasket with each thermostat. However, while Reische does include the things you need to physically install the part in car you will still need to retune your ECU to cope with the lower operating temperatures. The tune can be made a bit more aggressive, and the cooling fan on and off-temperature settings need to be modified to take advantage of the cooler t-stat.

Due to a slight modification we made to the SVTP 2012 GT’s engine we thought it may be a good idea to install a cooler thermostat. Since we were already in the shop for our McLeod RXT Twin-Disc Clutch installation we had the guys at Power By The Hour Performance pop in a Reische t-stat from Lethal. Follow along as we go through the process of fitting it to the Coyote 5.0 in out GT:

Here's the box.

SVTP_GT_Reische_001.jpg

This is what you'll find inside the box.

SVTP_GT_Reische_002.jpg

It's a simple part, but it does a important job.

SVTP_GT_Reische_003.jpg

The Reische thermostat is a good quality piece, and to top it off it's made in the USA. That's more than you can say for Craftsman tools these days.

SVTP_GT_Reische_004.jpg

The install process begins by removing the plastic under-body work.

SVTP_GT_Reische_005.jpg

Once the body panel is out of the way you'll be able to access the radiator drain valve. It's in the upper left portion of this pic.

SVTP_GT_Reische_006.jpg

Here is a better view of it.

SVTP_GT_Reische_007.jpg

What oil and oil filter we use in the SVTP GT you may ask? It's Royal Purple HPS 5w30 and a Royal Purple filter.

SVTP_GT_Reische_008.jpg

With this hose placed on the drain spout we opened up the valve and drained out the coolant.

SVTP_GT_Reische_009.jpg

It doesn't come out too quickly, so if you're doing this at home now would be a good time for a beer break.

SVTP_GT_Reische_010.jpg

Once the coolant reservoir and radiator are drained the real work can begin.

SVTP_GT_Reische_011.jpg

The intake pipe is going to have to be remove.

SVTP_GT_Reische_012.jpg

With the intake out of the way you'll be able to access the thermostat housing.

SVTP_GT_Reische_013.jpg

You have to remove two bolts in order to separate the upper and lower portions of the housing.

SVTP_GT_Reische_014.jpg

With the housing sections separated you'll then be able to remove the stock thermostat.

SVTP_GT_Reische_015.jpg

Here you can see the differences in the two thermostats, Reische on the left and the stock one on the right.

SVTP_GT_Reische_017.jpg

The tops of the two parts are a little different too.

SVTP_GT_Reische_018.jpg

Here you can see the difference in the spring configurations.

SVTP_GT_Reische_019.jpg

To install the Reische thermostat you just reverse the removal procedure.

SVTP_GT_Reische_021.jpg

Once everything in cinched back up you'll be ready to refill the coolant system.

SVTP_GT_Reische_022.jpg

A Rad-Vac makes refilling the system and making sure it is purged of air exceedingly simple. If you're going to work on cooling systems much at all I highly suggest you buy one.

SVTP_GT_Reische_023.jpg

After checking for leaks the service flap can be reinstalled.

SVTP_GT_Reische_024.jpg

For 2011 Ford switched to this new Motorcraft Specialty Orange coolant. It's basically the Ford version of Dex-Cool (a GM trademark). It's important to refill with the same fluid because mixing different coolant types can cause all sorts of problems.

SVTP_GT_Reische_025.jpg

Special Thanks To:

Lethal Performance

Power By The Hour Performance

Reische Performance

-SID297:beer:

WOTjunkie

SvtP Resident Asshole
Established Member
This T-stat makes a huge difference. Before install, my car would always be past that halfway point on the thermostat on the dash. After install and fan settings change with the hand held it never goes past the halfway point.

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
Hey guys can a 170 or 180 unit be fine for stock non-supercharged applications? I heard sometimes too cool on N/A engine can make it run more rich, and eat more gas resulting in horrible mpg...

Ducci

Established Member
Hey guys can a 170 or 180 unit be fine for stock non-supercharged applications? I heard sometimes too cool on N/A engine can make it run more rich, and eat more gas resulting in horrible mpg...

To be honest I have one installed in my 1996 cobra and haven't noticed any change in MPG and I'm N/A (exhaust and a bama tune only). It runs noticeable cooler especially since I don't have the cooling TSB done on my car.

TVSCobra

Established Member
I have one in my car, it made a nice difference in operating temps. On Supercharged vehicles it also helps with IAT2s since the operating temp of the engine is lowered. So the heat transfer from the engine to the lower intake then to the intercooler is lowered.

For a DD car I think the 170 is a nice medium, plus this is the only aftermarket T-stat that operates correctly.

If I only used the car for Racing then I would have a 160 in there.

I'm curious as well on how much lower the temps are now on this GT. The Reische thermostat is the best cooling mod I ever did on my Terminator. Dramatic drop in temps, especially in the summer heat. This t-stat is a winner and on the cutting edge of coolant temp reduction.

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

this is actually true. but depends on tune an the area you live weather wise

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Everyone who noticed such a vast improvement I can't help but think something in your cooling system was lacking or you see ambient temps above 100. I put one in my 03 Cobra and noticed no difference, not that I had cooling problems to begin with, but I sat in hours of beach traffic in July with one and without one and while the car may have been a few degrees cooler I didn't notice anything change. FWIW 170 is what Honda is what Honda used in the 90s, hell they may still now.

Last edited:
Everyone who noticed such a vast improvement I can't help but think something in your cooling system was lacking or you see ambient temps above 100. I put one in my 03 Cobra and noticed no difference, not that I had cooling problems to begin with, but I sat in hours of beach traffic in July with one and without one and while the car may have been a few degrees cooler I didn't notice anything change. FWIW 170 is what Honda is what Honda used in the 90s, hell they may still now.

So which one is it? :shrug:

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
So which one is it? :shrug:

:idea: It should be obvious that my point was that I noticed no physical change in the car. Sorry I didn't post a exuberant exaggerated pitch to validate yours. Short of data logging to seek a difference (which I did) my car felt unchanged. I didn't experience a lower temp gauge like one poster and I wouldn't say this was the best cooling mod I ever did. I'm not knocking the product, I bought one for a reason, my car needed a thermostat and wanted the best one I could buy.

:idea: It should be obvious that my point was that I noticed no physical change in the car. Sorry I didn't post a exuberant exaggerated pitch to validate yours. Short of data logging to seek a difference (which I did) my car felt unchanged. I didn't experience a lower temp gauge like one poster and I wouldn't say this was the best cooling mod I ever did. I'm not knocking the product, I bought one for a reason, my car needed a thermostat and wanted the best one I could buy.

Oh you better believe it buddy that I get excited when talking about this Reische t-stat. I almost get into River Dance mode when this subject matter comes up. Put a serious dent in my temps in winter & summer.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

The stock thermostat in the 5.0 is ~180 and seems to open a bit better (ie, at the temp it's actually supposed to) than the ones in the previous modular engine. We saw about a 10 degree drop in temps.

That can be true if the ECU isn't tuned for the cooler temps. EFI engines run richer when cold. On some engines the cooler thermostat can confuse the ECU into thinking that the engine is never at full operating temp, thus making it run richer than necessary all the time. It you have your tune changed you should see no drop in fuel economy.

Did you get a new tune for the cooler temps?

dose it need retune?

Yes.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Oh you better believe it buddy that I get excited when talking about this Reische t-stat. I almost get into River Dance mode when this subject matter comes up. Put a serious dent in my temps in winter & summer.

Hahaha, fair enough.

No Sid I did not re-tune the car. Unless by that you meant adjust the fan settings. I don't remember the instructions suggesting a re-tune. However my factory fan settings had previously been lowered in my tune so the adjustment to the Reisch specs was not nearly as drastic.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
I sat in hours of beach traffic in July with one and without one and while the car may have been a few degrees cooler I didn't notice anything change.
Well under those conditions you're not going to see much difference. If you sit long enough in traffic in hot weather, especially with the A/C on, most cooling systems will eventually not be able to keep up with the heat being generated and temps will climb no matter what thermostat you're running.

It should be noted that running an engine cooler does not necessarily make much hp by itself. Sure you may lose a few degrees of IAT and see some small gains but primarily I like to think of it as an insurance policy against detonation. But there are a couple ways in which you can see gains:

Obviously an engine at 185* can run more timing safely than one running 210* so tuning along with a low temp thermostat can definitely make some power.

I remember one time running another Terminator 3 times consecutively. The first run was very, very close with me barely edging him out. The second run I pulled away noticeably harder and by the 3rd run I was just walking away. Why? Cooling mods. His thermostat and IC heat exchanger were stock. Keep the heat away and make more power but, even better, maybe save an engine.
I heard sometimes too cool on N/A engine can make it run more rich, and eat more gas resulting in horrible mpg...
That's true and this happens when the engine does not reach a hot enough temp for the computer to leave warm-up mode. And this is the reason we do not make or recommend 160* thermostats, running no thermostat or using thermostats with many holes drilled for street use. In the 4 years we've been producing 170* thermostats there has not been one complaint of anyone losing fuel economy. I really believe 170* is the best balance overall.

To Travis and everyone else who worked on this: Great write up and pics, couldn't have been done better :beer:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Well under those conditions you're not going to see much difference. If you sit long enough in traffic in hot weather, especially with the A/C on, most cooling systems will eventually not be able to keep up with the heat being generated and temps will climb no matter what thermostat you're running.

It should be noted that running an engine cooler does not necessarily make much hp by itself. Sure you may lose a few degrees of IAT and see some small gains but primarily I like to think of it as an insurance policy against detonation. But there are a couple ways in which you can see gains:

Obviously an engine at 185* can run more timing safely than one running 210* so tuning along with a low temp thermostat can definitely make some power.

I remember one time running another Terminator 3 times consecutively. The first run was very, very close with me barely edging him out. The second run I pulled away noticeably harder and by the 3rd run I was just walking away. Why? Cooling mods. His thermostat and IC heat exchanger were stock. Keep the heat away and make more power but, even better, maybe save an engine.
That's true and this happens when the engine does not reach a hot enough temp for the computer to leave warm-up mode. And this is the reason we do not make or recommend 160* thermostats, running no thermostat or using thermostats with many holes drilled for street use. In the 4 years we've been producing 170* thermostats there has not been one complaint of anyone losing fuel economy. I really believe 170* is the best balance overall.

To Travis and everyone else who worked on this: Great write up and pics, couldn't have been done better :beer:

Good advice. Glad you like the article.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread