Swapping gears...need opinions

281cubes

Wish I Had an SVT
Long story short, I'm looking to ditch my 4.10's and go back to stock 3.55's. IMO, 4.10's in these cars on anything short of a built rear and slicks is just a waste; first and second gear become useless at anything more than half throttle. Not to mention, 2500 @ 70mph reminds me of driving my old S2K. Ergo, I want 3.55's.

Is there any particular brand that I should shoot for/stay away from?
In addition to the ring and pinion, should I get any of the other kits (trac-loc rebuild, shims/spacers...etc)?

Planning to pull the trigger on a new set sometime this month and schedule installation in late March once weather allows me to consider pulling it outta the garage.

Thanx.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
FWIW why don't you try to find another banjo and set that one up with the 3.55s. throw the other in the garage until you need it again.
IMHO stay with Ford motorsports gears.

put in a solid pinion spacer

good idea, did you know we're not allowed to run those in Continental? :shrug:

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
it eliminates the crush sleeve, so that you will be able to do maintenance such as swap the flange or change the pinion seal without worrying about the duplicating pinion bearing pre-load. it takes a little more time to set up, but once you do, it never changes.

also if you can afford it, try to go with a torque-sensing differential such as the tru-trac because there are no clutches to wear out as with the trac-loc.

none of this is necessary mind you, just some nice touches to make the rear end more bulletproof. there have been some nice threads on here over the years with good parts advice as well. best of luck with it :beer:

blacksheep-1

Established Member
Truth. And stick with ford gears.

What's the reasoning you can't run them in continental?

I don't know, they're just illegal..kind of an IMSA thing I guess, they don't add any performance they just add longevity so you?I would think it would be legit, but it's not.

Users who are viewing this thread