swore in yesterday- USMC

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Correct. We were directed to run up manpower for a longer duration conflict, which we no longer have the sustained budget for. Even special operations budgets have been dramatically slashed, and that used to be a bottomless pit. This is why they have stopped involuntary recalls.

KBR mother ****er lol. No but seriously In my time it was only ever civis or other branches serving food. Although I love me some MREs.

There are still some involuntary recalls. One of my troops from the deployment I just got back from was recalled. It's when they need to fill a specific need based on MOS.

And yes, KBR is the shit in the sandbox. I haven't been to any stateside chow halls in a while but I know in Hawaii, oki and mainland Japan all have Marine cooks running them. In K-Bay my neighbor was the MSgt in charge of the chow hall. Here on Oki at one of the Post and Reliefs I attended I ran into the CW0 that ran the Chowhall on Kinser. So yeah- there are plenty of Marines that are cooks.

semperfimrn1

Established Member
Japan and Hawaii are both good duty stations. Japan you have almost no chance as a troop to bring your wife. Hawaii is great but expensive- the + is you can take the wife and car!! Most likely you'll get Lejeune or CPen...... Just being real man.

Also- not a chance in hell I'd risk open contract. There are plenty of great MOS's out there that promote well, have good bonuses and give you a skill you can use after you get out... Pick one of THOSE!!!

yeah i hear you. i really want to be a K9 Handler so that's what I am shooting for. Once I am out I plan to go Law Enforcement and hopefully be one in the civilian world.

BUT first thing is first...I have to EARN the title

runsonboost

Established Member
from what i remember the recruiter can only promise MOS designation, like 5800, not specifics like 5811 or 5831. i went in 5800 and got 5831. you will have to go to MP school first then try to get K9. if you get k9 you'll get sent down to Lackland AFB. i went through boot in SD from Nov29 2005 - Feb12 2006, it might not seem it but cpen is really ****ing cold in the middle of january standing in front of a tent, in your underwear because someone cant find their polypros.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
i went through boot in SD from Nov29 2005 - Feb12 2006, it might not seem it but cpen is really ****ing cold in the middle of january standing in front of a tent, in your underwear because someone cant find their polypros.

So TRUE. A lot of people assume SoCal is warm year round. Definitely a false assumption.

The only place I've been that was comfortable year round - ie, not too hot or cold, was K-Bay. It never got above mid 90's and it never got below mid 60's. GREAT duty station if you can get it. Plus the night life is AMAZING. Downside- not the greatest place to raise a kid. Rains a lot. Some people get "island fever." VERY expensive to live. Many Hawaiians hate anybody NOT Hawaiian and will beat the crap out of you to prove it.

I'm kind of partial to Lejeune myself. Lots of outdoor stuff to do. Lots of historical sights nearby. Property is CHEAP compared to just about anywhere else you can be stationed in the Corps- except for maybe Beaufort SC. Schools are as good if not better than Socal- both K-12 and College. And there are 2 1/4 mile tracks with in 45 minutes of my house:rockon:

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
Good luck man. I was like you (except AF) wanting to do mp (security forces for us) and I put that as #1 on my list of jobs I turned in and I ended up getting firefighter (#7 on my list, the very bottom). And my recruiter told me I would get security forces if it was anywhere on my list, but that was wrong. Anyways, I'm currently at my tech school here is Texas and I have people from all branches in my class since it's the DOD fire academy and it's where every branch trains there fire fighters. I've heard tons of stories about boot camp from all branches and ya, the marines prolly do have the hardest so again good luck bro. Prolly a good idea to know the rank structure before you go in as well.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
come be a grunt! ive enjoyed the last 7 years. the only mos that matters as far as im concerned.

"Amateurs talk about tactics, but professionals study logistics."
- Gen. Robert H. Barrow, USMC (Commandant of the Marine Corps)

We ALL do our part. Grunts are definitely important, but ONLY MOS that matters? Yeah right- nice try mang:rollseyes With all due respect to your service that's a very limited POV.

7.62x51

Established Member
"Amateurs talk about tactics, but professionals study logistics."
- Gen. Robert H. Barrow, USMC (Commandant of the Marine Corps)

We ALL do our part. Grunts are definitely important, but ONLY MOS that matters? Yeah right- nice try mang:rollseyes With all due respect to your service that's a very limited POV.

Actually, not sure why you'd join the Marine Corps. if you ain't going 03XX

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Actually, not sure why you'd join the Marine Corps. if you ain't going 03XX

I wholeheartedly stand by my statement. Glad you like what you do and good on you for doing it. But there is so much more to the Corps then just grunts. Again, to suggest otherwise is just plain ignorant.

03cobraracer

Established Member
hey man hopefully you can get the mp job you want. i enlisted in the army back in sept. and i wanted MP as well. couldnt get it at first but then a spot opened and i got it. i leave in 2 weeks now for ft leonard wood MO for basic and mp school. just hold out for what you want. thats the good thing with the army is you can pick your exact job and have it gaurenteed to you. but im sure you will get what you want bro, good luck to you! maybe ill see ya down range some day.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
yeah i hear you. i really want to be a K9 Handler so that's what I am shooting for. Once I am out I plan to go Law Enforcement and hopefully be one in the civilian world.

BUT first thing is first...I have to EARN the title

If you want to be LE then you might also want to consider PRP command for Security Forces. I'm in it now and I'm not saying it's awesome but the training I'm going through now at CQB school for RTT is terrific; very challenging as it's my second time through but great nonetheless. And with the security clearance you get you'll already have your foot in the door for law enforcement as that's one less thing for them to have to pay for. The flip side is that you'll be an 03 and will probably see combat.

If that interests you and want more info feel free to ask. Good luck!

bwd0311

Established Member
If you want to be LE then you might also want to consider PRP command for Security Forces. I'm in it now and I'm not saying it's awesome but the training I'm going through now at CQB school for RTT is terrific; very challenging as it's my second time through but great nonetheless. And with the security clearance you get you'll already have your foot in the door for law enforcement as that's one less thing for them to have to pay for. The flip side is that you'll be an 03 and will probably see combat.

If that interests you and want more info feel free to ask. Good luck!

u at kings bay i was ther in 04 not a bad job i was in CQB team 2 as a DM then deploy to ramadi in 06 its not a bad deal at all saw combat and good training now im in 2/2 as a sgt about to leave again fun fun.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I'm in Bangor. RTT is where it's at for SF! My class was able to skip the miserable guard and go straight to RTT cause they were hurting for bodies, and that is what they are doing from now on so they can get better quality Marines that are actually motivated. With the ability to become an 8154, go to Breacher school and DM school I don't think there's much better opportunities than that. There's actually a new CPL with us at the school now from KB that's looking to be a triple threat. He's a DM and is set to go to Breacher school right after CQB school. That right there will hook you up when you hit the fleet! I'll probably hit up Breacher school after this hopefully.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
ok ill give it to the other mos's thanks for supporting me. lol

MOS's working in concert are what makes us so effective. You take one out of the mix and no matter how "bad-ass" you think you are you can't do your job.

I guess the irony to me is you assume every mission revolves around and is executed by grunts.... If you actually think that you need to get out more. There are many non 03XX MOS's outside the wire doing combat missions. So sorry to shatter the 03 illusion but it's not always about you. Even when grunts go out there are at least a dozen other MOS's out there WITH you. So stop pretending it's grunts against the world- or sell it to the young PFCs that are still impressed with you. Those of us who no longer reek of "cash sales" know the deal.

I'm really not trying to be a dick, but the "Prima Donna, Holier Than Thou," attitude from some grunts is old.

Sorry to thread Jack OP- GL in. Bootcamp:beer: remember we are all on the same team. Family squabbles aren't uncommon though. Lol

semperfimrn1

Established Member
thanks for all the input guys! as of now looks like my ship date will be late march with my MP slot that i wanted. hopefully nothing changes til then.

thought about security forces but opted out to try and become a dog handler which would be my ultimate goal.

bwd0311

Established Member
my friend just lat moved from the mp field. he was a dog handler up near quanico on hmx marine 1. he really liked it alot. i think that would be a good job.

Users who are viewing this thread