SXS questions, Talon and YZX

beau t

Established Member
Hello everyone, I have rode either dirt bikes or quads most of my life and prefer to have the ability to change gears, that being said in a effort to try and get my wife to go more I'm leaning toward a SXS (talon or YXZ). I have got to drive a talon but not a YXZ ( no-one around me has1 or at least not in my circle and it dosent seem like any dealership around here have a track day where they bring out different rides for you to try). If any of you have or ride with guys with either of these whats your take on them pros/cons, and either will be this year or last years model, Thanks for any input!
EDIT: thought i was in roadside not pics and vids, if mods feel this is the wrong spot please feel free to move it. Thanks
Honda talon and yamaha YXZ = = yea sorry about title my dyslexia must of kicked in lol.

Last edited:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I used to have a YXZ for a couple of years before I sold it and bought my X3. Friend of mine has a Talon so I’ve driven it as well. What area of the country are you in and what sort of riding do you do?

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
im in the market for the side by side myself. Im leaning towards honda talon or krx1000.

The can am maverick and rzr turbos from what i read require way too much wrench time with blown belts, broken axles, tie rods..etc.

on another note all these things are friggen expensive.... $20-30K and you need a decent sized trailer to haul it

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
im in the market for the side by side myself. Im leaning towards honda talon or krx1000.

The can am maverick and rzr turbos from what i read require way too much wrench time with blown belts, broken axles, tie rods..etc.

on another note all these things are friggen expensive.... $20-30K and you need a decent sized trailer to haul it
If you drive with some common sense, you won’t have to worry with any of that. Belts last for thousands of miles and axles don’t break unless you do something dumb. X3’s are built twice as strong as a YXZ. I loved my YXZ and will probably get another at some point for a trail rig, but my X3 is so much better in every way.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Hello everyone, I have rode either dirt bikes or quads most of my life and prefer to have the ability to change gears, that being said in a effort to try and get my wife to go more I'm leaning toward a SXS (talon or YXZ). I have got to drive a talon but not a YXZ ( no-one around me has1 or at least not in my circle and it dosent seem like any dealership around here have a track day where they bring out different rides for you to try). If any of you have or ride with guys with either of these whats your take on them pros/cons, and either will be this year or last years model, Thanks for any input!
EDIT: thought i was in roadside not pics and vids, if mods feel this is the wrong spot please feel free to move it. Thanks
Honda talon and yamaha YXZ = = yea sorry about title my dyslexia must of kicked in lol.

YXZ is a bad machine, but down on power. Good news is this: Starting in 2020, Yamaha started equipping them with FORGED rods from the factory in preparation for a turbocharger. Tons of companies make kits (so does Yamaha) to add 6-7 psi which then makes the YXZ quite a screamer.

Proper maintenance makes all that noise disappear. Ive had a Turbo RZR since 2016 when they first started coming out Turbo and ive probably replaced the belt 2x ... same with axles. Maybe broke 2 of them in 6 years.

FWIW, a belt can be swapped in about 15 minutes, an axle 30 minutes tops.

The Honda and the Kawasaki are the last choices, to be honest... that said, you might get a good deal on one because no one wants those brands.

If you drive with some common sense, you won’t have to worry with any of that. Belts last for thousands of miles and axles don’t break unless you do something dumb. X3’s are built twice as strong as a YXZ. I loved my YXZ and will probably get another at some point for a trail rig, but my X3 is so much better in every way.

Exactly.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Small correction - it was 2019 that they changed the rods in the YXZ, as well as moved the radiator to the rear, shortened the gear ratios, and made some other small changes that make it a lot better car. I wouldn't dismiss a 16-18 if you can find an amazing deal on one, but like everything else, prices are through the roof on used cars right now.

The KRX should definitely be at the bottom of anyone's list, it does nothing well and has almost no aftermarket support. The Talon is right above it, but not by much. If you are dying to have a clutch pedal or paddle shifter in a SxS, YXZ is the only thing I would be looking at. That said, don't dismiss a belt machine because of what you read online. Depending on your riding style, a clutch car may not even work for you.

This was at Top of the World in Moab last year. Not a chance in hell could you get a YXZ even a 1/4 way up the trail without smoking the clutch. There is a group that is making a "crawl box" for them now, which is a 2 speed transfer case that would help, but it's $5,000 or so.

185243614_1227549254376312_6741275254539437796_n.jpg

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Small correction - it was 2019 that they changed the rods in the YXZ, as well as moved the radiator to the rear, shortened the gear ratios, and made some other small changes that make it a lot better car. I wouldn't dismiss a 16-18 if you can find an amazing deal on one, but like everything else, prices are through the roof on used cars right now.

The KRX should definitely be at the bottom of anyone's list, it does nothing well and has almost no aftermarket support. The Talon is right above it, but not by much. If you are dying to have a clutch pedal or paddle shifter in a SxS, YXZ is the only thing I would be looking at. That said, don't dismiss a belt machine because of what you read online. Depending on your riding style, a clutch car may not even work for you.

This was at Top of the World in Moab last year. Not a chance in hell could you get a YXZ even a 1/4 way up the trail without smoking the clutch. There is a group that is making a "crawl box" for them now, which is a 2 speed transfer case that would help, but it's $5,000 or so.

View attachment 1748013

Holy cow what a picture!

smashedheadcat

Established Member
I cast another vote for an x3. I got my ‘17 X3 XRS Max right when they came out and it’s been incredible and trouble free. Belts last me roughly 1250 miles. The newer ones (improved belt cooling) will go a bit further between failures. Of course, it all depends on how you ride. I do a bit of everything in Utah, but when I break belts, it’s usually at the dunes.

beau t

Established Member
I used to have a YXZ for a couple of years before I sold it and bought my X3. Friend of mine has a Talon so I’ve driven it as well. What area of the country are you in and what sort of riding do you do?
we ride in the south east last year we were at Hatfield and Mccoy there is also Winrock and a couple others near us i will post some pics from the other weekend at the start of cutting in the new trail we had 3 polaris's with us a 900, 1000na and a turbo one also a talon -- the talon and turbo made it right up the side of the mountain, the other 2 had to be winched. where we went was our version of top of the world and by no means as spectacular as the pic above

gimmie11s
i knew you would have a good answer !!! lol

I was leaning towards the yamaha because of the upgrades they did in 19, i wasn't really a fan of the legroom layout in the talon and my wife commented about not liking the feet positioning of the polaris 1000 i got my buddy to take her for a ride in. If i can't make her happy and want to go i would just stay with my 4 wheeler. I know this sounds trivial but its about trying to get the family involved. Will add pics in a sec

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
H&M is awesome for sure. YXZ will do great there. I’d recommend going for a test ride in an X3 if you get chance. The seating position of a YXZ is the same as a RZR, very up and forward. The X3 is low and back, feels more like a cockpit and has tons of legroom. It’s a much better driving/riding experience in my opinion - the only downside is there is a slight learning curve to not being able to see right down the nose of the machine.

beau t

Established Member
I’d recommend going for a test ride in an X3 if you get chance. The seating position of a YXZ is the same as a RZR,
Will check it out , I'm not dead against a CVT just everything i drive is manual LOl. I'm trying to post some of the other pics but haven't got them cut down enough to meet the size yet.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Will check it out , I'm not dead against a CVT just everything i drive is manual LOl. I'm trying to post some of the other pics but haven't got them cut down enough to meet the size yet.
Trust me I was the same way when I bought my first SxS which was my YXZ. I’ve driven them all since then and the X3 is the baddest machine your money can buy right now (except maybe the RZR Pro R - I haven’t had seat time in one of those yet and they seem awesome. But they’re also 40k+ lol). I love the YXZ and will own another one someday but if I have to have just one machine to do it all, I’ll take an X3 10 out of 10 times.

Buddy17

Avid SVTP(er)
Established Member
I'd love to try an X3, but with a family of 5, i've gotta have a 4 seater (with a bump seat).....my 19 turbo xp4 is long enough, the x3 maxx and new rzr pro4's are just insanely big. I'll just stick to what i got even if there is something better lol

Turbo yxz is high on my list if I ever get a spare 20k burning a hole in my pocket.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
4 seat X3's are the ugliest sxs made. Gross! Yes, I get it, looks are subjective.

They sure do perform well...

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Got my X3 sorted out today with the new build. This is a sub 3 second 0-60 on gravel with DOT tires launch off the 2 step. Seeing 41 pounds of boost

Users who are viewing this thread