Sync 3 and music

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
I have all my music on a memory stick that I just plug into the usb port in my truck (2017 F450). I'm in process of re-ripping all my cd's to FLAC. I'd like to know how you guys organize your music.
Right now, I have a folder for the artist, sub folder for the album and the individual mp3's in that folder.
I just set my entire library on shuffle and let it go. It might be my imagination, but it seems like some songs get played a lot more than others. Is there something about Sync that it prefers some files over others?

So, what's the best software for ripping nowadays? How do you organize it? Do you just let the software do the organizing? Give me some ideas.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I would love to help but I did away with all of that after I got Google Play. I would just do away with all of that and buy a subscription for one of the services and it will take care of all of that for you. Sure you are paying for the monthly subscription but you can add as much music as you want as basically every song ever made is offered to you. From there you just hook up through Bluetooth and that's it.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah, I've gone down that road. One of the things that bugs me about streaming services is, I drive enough through dead spots that it would interrupt play. I've had Sirius XM too, and the trees and hills block the signal. That's why I've gone with all my music on a memory stick. I've got a 250gb stick that I should be able to fit everything on.

Move on, nothing to see here.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Yeah, I've gone down that road. One of the things that bugs me about streaming services is, I drive enough through dead spots that it would interrupt play. I've had Sirius XM too, and the trees and hills block the signal. That's why I've gone with all my music on a memory stick. I've got a 250gb stick that I should be able to fit everything on.

I have Google Play Music as well and have had it since it came out.

When you create a playlist or a list of liked music, you have an option to download all of them at high quality. As long as whatever device you're on has the capacity, you never have to worry about losing music when you lose signal.

When going on a long trip, part of my routine is making sure I have all of my playlist/liked music downloaded the day before.

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I don’t think you get to keep them, but that is a good question because you are paying monthly so you would think you would be allowed to keep what you paid for.

Not saying you are wrong or anything because I don't know your setup with service and all of that, but knowing you are in Washington also whenever I have driven over the pass and across the state I have maybe had one service interruption on my phone that then obviously stopped my music on Google Play, and I think that was when I was with Sprint. and now I have Xfinity cell service. Wheb it cut out I just switched it over to downloaded music and there was all my favorite music on there already because it automatically downloaded my most listened to music.

The downside Google Play though is that it is now Youtube Music and everything transfers over to that so you use that app instead and I find it very unorganized in presentation in comparison to Play. I wish they would clean it up.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah, I tried Spotify once. Maybe it was just me, but I found it difficult to use and would have taken hours and hours to load up all the music I wanted.
If I can rip my CD's, I just stick them all on a memory stick and I'm done.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
If you download them and cancel service, do those files still play? I assume not.

I assume they won't play since you're paying for access, not the files.

Then again, with the switch to YouTube Music as mentioned by sf2c above, there's a free tier, so they might still play. You'll just have ads to deal with.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
I just keep everything on my phone and connect via Bluetooth

Obvious upsides: lots of options for music apps on your phone, can stop listening to a song in your car when you park and pop your headphones on and keep going.

The downside is the quality/volume loss you get via Bluetooth. The sound quality/volume difference between an HD radio station and my Bluetooth connection is night and day. If I ever get my subs+speakers installed I'll think about putting music on USB and plugging that in to see if that mitigates the quality problems.

"Nothing makes me question ALL of my life decisions like SVTP."

Posts and likes are not mine.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
^^This is most of the reason I want FLAC files on a memory stick. I want clear music with no commercials. I haven't listened to the radio in years.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
If you're that worried about BT quality, there *are* ways to wire your phone directly to your stereo.

Then again, if you have newer phone, you'll probably have to do it via it's charging port, since they no longer have headphone jacks.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Ive noticed with iTunes as well that certain songs seem to show up more frequently.

When you use those monthly pay services you don't get to keep the stuff. I've seen that with Apple Music since you can save the songs to a device for offline play there are apps you can buy that will strip the rights crap off of em so you still have them when you cancel but havent tried it

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Considering that I have 2 tubs, the black with yellow lid tubs that costco sells, full of CD's, I really have no desire to pay for music that I already own. My last count I had over 5000 songs on my usb stick.

I was hoping there was some decent software that rips and organizes the music into folders for me. Also wondering why it seems some songs play more than others. Anyone else experience this?

Users who are viewing this thread