Sync issue, dealer at fault?

einehund

Established Member
My sync every once in a while locked up my ipod. I would disconnect the ipod, let the battery drain, plug it back in and it would work again; sometimes for a day, sometimes for months - completely random. Yesterday I took the car in to get the passenger airbag recall done and asked them to update the sync software, as I had read that doing so fixed the ipod lockup issue. When I went to pick up the car, they told me that the sync module wouldn't take the update; they had tried to update it three times and it failed each time. I didn't think anything of it, said ok, and walked away as the ipod locking up wasn't that big of a deal to me.
Problem now is, that NONE of the sync functions work. Bluetooth doesn't work. Voice commands don't work. I can't even access the ipod that is hooked up in the USB by pressing the AUX button on the center stack, and as far as I can tell, no power is going to the USB either, as the ipod won't charge.
I use the bluetooth ALOT. I don't care about having the latest software so that my ipod won't lock up, but the no bluetooth is a big deal. A quick look online shows USED sync modules for $500!!! WTF?!? So, svt folks, what is my recourse? I understand it is a 10 year old car, but hell, to brick my sync and tell me "oh well"? I'm not too keen on that answer. I will be going back to the dealer tomorrow as I am getting the transmission recall on my F150 done at that time.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the first thing I would try is pulling the fuse and doing a master reset

Also when I was still using my iPod I would do a hard reset when it wasn't cooperating

Canson

Established Member
I had the same issue as you, in my chase the sync module was dead. But you can find cheap ones on eBay for like 40-60$.

Skickat från min SM-N975F via Tapatalk

einehund

Established Member
Pulled the sync fuse, disconnected the battery, reconnected the fuse, reconnected the battery and no changes. Damnit.

einehund

Established Member
*update: pulled the fuse without disconnecting battery. Took a minute or so but the sync rebooted(?) and is now working again. So weird. Anyways, i'd still like to update it. Any way to do this at home? Dealer charged $125 to update the sync in the wife's Focus ST. Ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread