T-56 Rebuild Help

RichM1983

Established Member
I'm hoping someone here has rebuilt their t56 and has some knowledge they can share with me. I pulled mine apart to rebuild some syncro issues and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the shift forks/linkages back in. My dumb self didn't get a pic before the linkage all came apart and I'm lost. I have searched all over the place, read the manual and still haven't got a clear answer. Most of what I've found has been from GM folks and some of my stuff looks different. If anybody could offer some help.

Thanks

In this pic you can see a roll pin protruding below that other pin. I have it flipped from what I can remember from what it should be. The roll pin should be above the other pin. What I can't figure is how that roll pin goes. The only hole in the shaft that the roll pin could go in is blind, which means I couldn't have driven it out. Should that pin be sticking out? The other end of shaft has a hole that is NOT blind but I'm almost 100% sure that I have the shaft oriented right. With the roll pin protruding it seems to interfere a lot with how I THINK it should move.
B5CBD05A-B0E3-4537-9AEA-66CD46B6DA63_zps2fzwnkuk.jpg

This is a pic of how I thought it should be assembled. Pretty sure its not right.
4E24308F-3C8F-4E4C-A266-488AD2E3F267_zpsdja29vdf.jpg

207ED19C-D356-494C-B6DF-FD4387E94CA2_zpsnqjiwzfw.jpg

Another pic of the roll pin.
429258E8-8979-4308-9DC9-836FA930A95B_zpskifn5m0p.jpg

These dowels go in the holes pictured below.
BF6E0976-24CB-47DE-BAC1-8081AD4BEC3C_zpsk3jewe9i.jpg

The reason I'm pretty sure its not right is these dowels won't go in. They won't line up with the slots necessary to allow them to tighten up.
6AFB29AA-ED00-46D3-8C15-AC15C32C9174_zpsldiuma6q.jpg

In this pic stolen from the web I don't even see the roll pin???
Untitled_zpsnxwd0bgv.jpg

This pics shows the roll pin drove all the way through the shaft. My shaft doesn't have a hole that allows that.
DCP_%20023_zpsi9witc27.jpg

In this pic the yellow arrow points to where my roll pin is. It doesn't even look like there is a roll pin driven in the hole in that pic. The roll pin sticking out on mine stops the pin that the red arrow points to from doing what I think it should
DCP_%20022_zpsg3pkphwk.jpg

RichM1983

Established Member
Ok so so after spending a 30 minutes making this thread and 2-3 hours in the garage beforehand I went back out last night and I'm a complete moron. The hole that the roll pin is by is not blind. I drove the roll pin in flush and set it up and I'm 99% sure its right now. I will finish assembly today.

xtreme_exploder

Established Member
Haha took me a while to figure mine out too. Couldn't find pictures or anything anywhere, and doesn't say anything in the manual about how it goes together. So I just stared at it and messed around until I got it right.

RichM1983

Established Member
Yeah I finally got. The next struggle was with all the lock rings. I finally went to Advance and got a set of lock ring pliers. Currently its sitting completely done minus pulling the front plate and sealing it up. I left it without sealant because I had to pull the mid case 100x trying to get the forks and dowels line up. Once I got it I just went ahead and finished and figured I'd just pull the cover like if I were replacing the input shaft. It feels good to have it pretty much done.

Terminator Dave

Established Member
Did any of you get all these issues worked out? I am in this same position now, and you're right. The GM trans looks different, and there are no pictures detailing these small parts with what lines up with what. Case in point, I'm now working on the slider in the front of the case, behind the input shaft; I forgot the gear number now. The keys are held in place by the spring in the back, and in front of the slider. There is a hook on each spring. It appears that it should go into the center of the key? If you do it that way, one of the keys is tighter than the other two? Is that correct? Does the hook on each spring, go into the same key, front and back? Does it make any difference? I do know that everything in the front case, has to slide in together as an assembly. Anyway....any pointers? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my 2PS64 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

hotcobra03

Established Member
I recall looking at a couple different transmissionso on the tremec site when I was doing my bearing retainer.

Users who are viewing this thread