T-56 Reverse Lockout Control Module Review

RoyWoods

Established Member
As we all know, one of the issues that must be addressed when upgrading to a T-56 is dealing with the reverse lockout solenoid. A lot of people will either ignore the solenoid via using brut force, or will wire the solenoid into the brake light or into a toggle switch. Granted, these are all effective methods, and until recently, I had been using a toggle switch as well. However, I was never completely satisfied with this, and/or the alternatives, and continued to search for a device that would control the solenoid by itself (i.e. like in the ’03-’04 Cobras where the PCM controls it).

Anyway, I finally came across a vendor that makes such a device, had them in stock, and was reasonably priced so I ordered one. I just recently finished installing it, and I’m happy to say that it works as advertised. The device taps into your VSS and uses that reading to determine whether or not the reverse solenoid should be energized. If you are going less than about 5mph, the solenoid is energized, therefore allowing you to get into reverse. However, once your speed increases above that threshold the solenoid is no longer energized, thus preventing you from accidentally going into reverse.

The included instructions are pretty simple and straight forward and only require you to connect a maximum of 6 wires (i.e. power, ground, reverse solenoid, and VSS) from the module to your car. The leads coming from the small module are more than adequate to allow mounting the device almost anywhere in the vehicle as well. It’s also already fused, so there is no need to worry about that either.

As far as the customer service and support I received, it was nothing less than top notch. I mean, it was almost as good as what you get from Steve and Mike at Tousley Ford, and that’s saying a lot. :beer:

So, if anyone is interested, send the guy an e-mail, and he can answer any other questions you’ve got. BTW, he’ll also be releasing a module for sequential turn signals in the near future.

Email: [email protected]
Samoco Industries, Inc

Users who are viewing this thread