T5 Tranny VENT HeLp

4valvemach

Established Member
The vent tube is on the top of the transmission and the fill hole is on the side about 3-4 inches up from the drain plug.So how would you over fill the transmission if you filled through the fill hole???

Well however it happened so what,so whats the problem you over filled it and fluid came out the vent tube.It should be fine it is only a simple breather tube to let pressure out of the case.Some have a simple plastic tube and some have a flapper/cap style like on the diff.

Or do you have a problem now when driving fluid is coming out the vent tube?

jamessims

Established Member
Filled it from the top before I reinstalled the shifter and was not paying attention. I drained and reserviced tranny to spec but it keeps blowing the real seal I am guess because the vent is not working and needs to be cleaned or replaced...

jamessims

Established Member
yes i drove with it over filled it was a late night pull fix and reinstall and go to work at 4am kinda day. Thats what happens when you rush the seal that keeps leaking after replacement is the seal that the drive shaft yoke slides into....

4valvemach

Established Member
Ok so you have a new tailshaft seal and it still leaks fluid

1.Did you put any lube(grease,oil) on the rubber part of the seal before installing the yoke?
2.Did you use a small amount of RTV on the metal part of the seal that seats against the tailshaft?
3.Is the yoke free of any burs,rough areas?
4.Do you have a little or alot of play at the yoke when installed in the tailshaft
5.Do you have the correct amount of fluid

Not trying to kill you with ???? just gotta start from scratch:D

If you have alot of play at the yoke then fluid may be getting by at that area,it should not be hard to replace.Ill Look more up at work should just be able to pull the housing off and replace the bushing.

Last edited:

jamessims

Established Member
Ok so you have a new tailshaft seal and it still leaks fluid-----yes

1.Did you put any lube(grease,oil) on the rubber part of the seal before installing the yoke?---yes
2.Did you use a small amount of RTV on the metal part of the seal that seats against the ----yes
3.Is the yoke free of any burs,rough areas? ---yes I checked it before reinstall
4.Do you have a little or alot of play at the yoke when installed in the tailshaft--- I will have to check--

5.Do you have the correct amount of fluid--- yes 2.7 quarts

Not trying to kill you with ???? just gotta start from scratch:D ----it's all good brother it helps ya back track and think about something I might have missed...

If you have alot of play at the yoke then fluid may be getting by at that area,it should not be hard to replace.Ill Look more up at work should just be able to pull the housing off and replace the bushing.

Let me know I will be pulling the tranny this week have to change out the big plastic gear in the housing on the shaft to make my speedometer work correctly with the gears and try to repair or clean the vent... So there is a bushings or seal I side of the housing that helps seal the yoke??

James

4valvemach

Established Member
Yes you have the tailshaft seal and behind that is the tailshaft bushing

this is the bushing
1983-95 Mustang T-5 Tailshaft Bushing by Ford at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

See post #7 for what the removel tool looks like
C6 tail shaft bushing removal

With the tool you can remove the bushing with the transmission in the car,then tap the new one in.Without the tool you could pull the tailshaft housing off and try and knock it out or keep the housing on and try and pry it out.

Look at the PDF link I posted in my 2nd post and look at page 5 under the photos it says clean up on aisle 9 read the 2nd paragraph.It tells you what to do for getting the bushing out with a screw driver/chisel.

I would call around some transmission shops and see what the charge to remove the bushing.You will already have the transmission out so that will cut the cost down maybe $45(1/2hr labor).I have a better exploded veiw of the T-5 at work and the vent tube looks to be held in by just a Oring.It shows no C clip or other fastener holding it,just twist /turn and pull up.

Last edited:

jamessims

Established Member
Roger that I ordered the parts needed today found everything except for the vent replacement part itself but the guy a late model said to just take it off clean it up and put it back on so we will see. Thanks for the info on that inner bushings good to know.. I ordered it and will install the new one when I change out the Speedogear .... Thanks

jamessims

Established Member
Completed! No leaks so far drove it 150 miles today I'll check in the morning. I cleaned the vent the changed the inner bushing and the tail bushing...

jamessims

Established Member
Have a speedometer issue that has been going on for a few yrs off and on. I swapped rear ends a few yrs back and the changed out the speedogears. The speedometer cable was next.... I cant for the life of me figure out the issue I am having now. The needle goes haywire above 70 mph sometimes sooner and maxs out and bounces... Is it a busted assembly in the dash that needs repair??

4valvemach

Established Member
Congrats on the fix and thank you for updating us :beer:

As for the speedo :shrug: bad cable maybe,my friends 89gt the speedo bounced and stopped moving at 50mph.The RPM gauge also was bad stopped at 2500 rpm's he put a new(used) cluster in and that fixed both the RPM & speedo.

Users who are viewing this thread