• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

T56 Antivenom Mod 03 Cobra.

Discussion in 'Driveline' started by GodStang, Feb 11, 2019.

1. slo984now

slo984now AKA 01yellerCobra Established Member

For anyone curious....

I dropped the rear of the trans down and was able to snake a couple of extensions and a u-joint up to the side of the trans. I was able to connect a ratchet just past the cat. Starting it was a bit of a pain between my short fingers and fat forearms. But it was doable.

GodStang likes this.
  2. White Elephant

White Elephant Member Established Member

I did this simple but effective procedure while the car was on jack stands (flat-backing it)
    Here’s what I used-
    1. 15/16 socket, short style 3/8 drive
    2. 8” extension
    3. 6” extension
    4. 3/8” drive ratchet
    5. 3/8” swivel
    6. a small floor jack handle big enough to slip over the ratchet, acting as a cheater bar in order to break loose the bolt for removal.
    It’s a tight fit, but it can be done. There was a noticeable improvement in shifting effort. Combined with my MGW shifter, smooth as butter now.

GodStang and HudsonFalcon like this.
  3. HudsonFalcon

HudsonFalcon Premium Member Premium Member Established Member Beer Money Bros.

Just finished up this mod.

Took me a couple hours and some patience on my back but was able to knock it out while my twins slept.

Did it with these tools.

20190218-154924.jpg

Bdubbs, CobraBob and GodStang like this.
  4. BLOWN9646

BLOWN9646 E85 COBRA Established Member

Has anyone had a trans failure do to this mod? Read a YT comment guy did this on his 35k mi. T56, and a week later it blew

5. GodStang

GodStang Well-Known Member Established Member

I have read many posts on this over the years in both Chevy and mustang world and have not heard of anyone having failure directly related to this mod but anything is possible.

6. CobraBob

CobraBob Authorized Vendor Premium Member Established Member

This is the first time I've ever heard of a failure as a direct result of this mod, too. Like @GodStang said, anything is possible, including that the T-56 failure was due to other issues and not directly related to this mod. Remember, a LOT of people have done this mod over the years.

7. Chosyn1

Chosyn1 I'm your Huckleberry Established Member

did this a few years ago combined w/ a Flossy heavyweight shift knob and an MGW shifter. Night and Day smoothness coming from a tri-ax

HudsonFalcon likes this.
  8. Bdubbs

Bdubbs u even lift bro? Established Member

I totally forgot to do this when I did my clutch this past October. I've never had problems shifting in higher rpms though. Hope this dyad is no different.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

9. slo984now

It won't fix a hard shifting issue. Those are usually related to clutch adjustment. Unless the trans is going out. This just makes the shifting smoother. It takes less effort to go from gear to gear.

Bdubbs likes this.
  10. Bdubbs

Bdubbs u even lift bro? Established Member

Gotcha. I like slamming them hard lol.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

11. tt335ci03cobra

tt335ci03cobra Well-Known Member Established Member

My t56 has a fair amount of slop-enough so that I can shimmy the driveshaft left right up and down back and forth about half an inch roughly.

I want to do this mod but I think I need to fix the trans itself first...

Do I go to all that trouble when I plan a 6r80 swap next winter? Who the hell knows... #ugh

12. YELOSNK

YELOSNK Member Established Member

found this thread while doing a search on T56 shifting issues. I've *always* had trouble getting into the gate when shifting since I put the T56 in way back in '06. It does, however, shift fairly well if the car is stopped. Does that mean this mod likely wouldn't help?

13. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member Established Member

This mod just reduces the detent ball pressure on the shifter so it moves more smoothly from gear to gear with a little less effort.

If you are getting locked out of gears momentarily whern shifting at speed it's a clutch or internal trans issue. If all the gears have the problem it's likely your clutch is not fully disengaging.

14. YELOSNK

bummer, was hoping for a quick fix! Yes, I get locked out momentarily and it doesn't seem to matter which gear. Assuming the clutch isn't fully disengaging, what might cause that, given I didn't mess with the clutch pack* and the cable seems to be taught?

*as far as I know. I was 20 and didn't really know what I was doing.

15. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member Established Member

Cheapest/easiest couse of action would be to installl a clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster so you can manually adjust the clutch operation. If that doesn't work you probably need a new clutch.

Mine would lock me out of gears really bad too and the clutch pedal was extremely heavy. Adjusting the firewall adjuster didn't do anything. I pulled the clutch and trans and did a full tear down and everything looked good. Ended up installing a T56 Magnum, RXT clutch and new cable so I never was able to isolate which part was causing the problem. I'm 99% sure it was the clutch though because every gear was the same.

16. YELOSNK

thanks. I actually have a steeda quick release quadrant and firewall adjuster sitting in a drawer. I'll try finally putting them on. I also noticed that if I force the stock quadrant to be another click higher, it shifts better, which is interesting. I can shift it pretty quickly, it just requires muscle.

that said, I do think I want to do this mod to at minimum check it off the list. Is the general consensus that doing two of these M20s is the way to go? I remember reading through the 30-page thread on this and seeing at least a few that had it popping out of gear with two. not sure if there's a way to gauge if I want 1 or 2.

17. slo984now

I've put two washers on three different transmissions. None ever popped out of gear.

18. YELOSNK

Good enough for me! Thanks

19. Frankycheechoo

Frankycheechoo Member Established Member

Has anyone made a video on this ? I tried looking it up couldn’t find it .

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

20. GodStang

GodStang Well-Known Member Established Member

I did half way. Then I remembered I hate my voice and never went any further and just did pics.