• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

T56-Cobra with a 26 spline input shaft!

Discussion in 'Driveline' started by dougwg, Jul 23, 2003.

1. toofast4u

toofast4u Versatilist Established Member

Yes I did and it doesn't say anything about a T-56 version. The T-5 version is rated at roughly 600 hp or 500 ft-lb. or torque in a 3300 lb car with drag radials.

Here is a link to there website.
    G-Force T-5

The T-56 is a much stronger transmission then the T-5 is.

2. KWladyka

KWladyka Enjoying Life Established Member

Toofast, check the text under the picture on page 196. T-56 with a capacity of 900 hp.

3. toofast4u

Here is a side by side comparision of the different input shafts. The left is what we have stock and the right is like the GM and Dodge 26 spline which should be close to what doug is working on.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2003
  4. toofast4u

Cool thanks. Their site doesn't show anything about it yet I wonder what it will cost.

5. slythetove

slythetove Down the rabbit hole.... Established Member

You got your statement backwards. The left is what we have stock (10 spline). The right is the Viper style (26 spline).

6. toofast4u

Thanks I fixed it. I wasn't looking at the picture when I typed and put them backwards.

7. slythetove

I figured something like that. I knew you knew the difference, just didn't want the folks reading to be confused. :)

That's a great pic to illustrate the differences by the way. Did you notice how the viper one has thicker pinion teeth also?

8. toofast4u

That is actually the G-Force input shaft not the stock viper one. That is why I said like the GM one. The shaft is the same as the viper one, but the pinion teeth are beefer in the G-Force model.

9. Dana

Dana Bluesmobile Established Member

The difference in the tooth count you are seeing is primarily a function of the different ratios used in this transmission, not a design strength or weakness. I am told that the Viper and other models of this trans have different ratios than the Ford application.

Dana

10. Jerryk

Jerryk Halfshaft abuser Established Member

This is confusing:

Toofast4u, we can see in the pic that the stock Ford unit on the left has thinner pinion teeth. The one on the right w/ 26splines (ala Viper) has thicker pinion teeth. You then say the one pictured on the right is the G-force unit. And finally your saying the Viper one is even better as in thicker pinion teeth than even the G-Force replacement? Please clarify.. or maybe I missed it and I need more coffee..

Jerry

11. slythetove

Dana, I think that's true, but as toofast noted the G force model does purposefully have thicker "teeth".

The article in MM & FF was in their sister tech publication last month. It's an interesting read on the whole discussion of tranny strengths and weakness for sure.

12. toofast4u

No the G-force is better and has beefer pinion teeth then the Viper. Our biggest problem currently is the splines not the pinion teeth.

The Ford unit uses 10 splines configuration that are each larger and cut very deeply into the shaft, yielding only about a dime size (in diameter) of solid shaft that connects the clutch to the transmission. Compare that to the GM and Viper version that uses 26 smaller splines that are very shallow in comparision providing a much larger solid shaft diameter about the size of a quarter size. We will require a GM style clutch to work with the new input shafts.

After that is fixed our next weak link will be the gears inside the transmission. If needed it will require a kit like the one that G-force is making that is suppose to be rated for 900 hp.

13. toofast4u

G-Force kit for the T-5 with all of the gears and input shaft is almost 1,000 I believe. If they come out with the T-56 kit it might be a good way to go I would expect it to cost around 1,200 and use the stock core.

14. AMB

AMB Member Established Member

For Information: You can get a T-56 Input Shaft P/N 1R3Z7017AA fron FORD for $171.67 list. I have a spare, just in case.

AMB

15. dougwg

dougwg Active Member Established Member

AMB

ya you can get um...I guess.... but that is the stock "weak" input shaft....if you break it once, you'll break it again....

Still a good idea to have a spare!

16. 94SVT Coupe

94SVT Coupe Ford Fanatic Established Member

Hmm, all this time everyone said you can't get that part. Now you can? Still a great upgrade, and I would put in the better one for sure instead of putting a stocker back in.

17. slythetove

If you can now get them then that has changed. They used to be unavailable in no uncertain terms. Ask the few guys who bought D&D viper spec trannys when they twisted theirs. Believe me if $171.00 was an option they would have taken it.

It's good that it's possibly available, but like Doug said, if we have a better option we may as well take it.

How long Dougy Fresh?

18. Roush97

Roush97 New Member Established Member

Why would less splines cause it to break? I would think that clutch would break before the shaft, depending how much grip the clutch has. Plus those are pretty beefy splines.

19. slythetove

It's already broken on some modded cars Roush.

The shaft is thin because the grooves are deep.

Search for "input shaft" in the '03 forum and read all the details.

20. toofast4u

The problem with the less splines is how deep they cut into the shaft. The solid shaft diameter is only the size of a dime where the clutch mounts on the Ford version. The problem is not the splines breaking off that connect to the clutch. The problem is the shaft itself is what is breaking.