T56 issues

First-on-race-day

Established Member
About a year and a half ago The release bearing on my trans destroyed it self and I had to limp the car home. A few days ago I installed a new clutch,resurfaced flywheel(not stock flywheel),tob and pilot. Filled with ABC auto parts brand ATF. Previously i was running pennzoil synchromesh. Also installed the 2 washers (anti venom mod).
Prior to this work I did I had absolutely no grinding issues. Just very notchy at high rpms. Other than that transmission shifted fine.
Clutch cable is adjusted correctly.
My problem is that now it grinds sometimes going into 2nd gear and sometimes into 4th gear. Maybe 2-3 out of 5 shifts it will kind of do a slight grind and sometimes it will not even let me get out of gear clutch fully depressed. Only having issues going into 2nd gear and like i said out of gears sometimes. Same for 4th.
1,3,5,6 no issues at all.
I did notice that shifting 3-4 is when it grinds the most. If i shift from 4th to Neutral and back into 4th i get no grind. And i can repeat and repeat and no grind, but if i downshift into 3rd then go from 3-4 it will grind half the time.
I was thinking maybe binding clutch cable or damaged cable? but it shifts fine into every other gear.
Maybe my transmission does not like the atf? Trans had atf when i first bought vehicle and I changed over to syncromesh to try and help the notchyness but had no grinding at all.
Or maybe the anti venom mod is causing issues?
Appreciate the help. Thank yall.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
It could be the ATF, but I doubt it. I ran Coastal brand ATF in two T56's with no issues.

What clutch did you go with? Stock quadrant? It really sounds like a clutch adjustment issue to me.

First-on-race-day

Established Member
It could be the ATF, but I doubt it. I ran Coastal brand ATF in two T56's with no issues.

What clutch did you go with? Stock quadrant? It really sounds like a clutch adjustment issue to me.

Mcleod clutch rated for 500hp, aftermarket quadrant, clutch cable I adjusted so it has some tension at all times and it seems to release and engage good.
Maybe the old t56 developed issues sitting for over a year and a half. I will be draining it tomorrow and filling with syncromesh again

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
The only other thing that it could be is the cable needed lubed, yes its a thing, or the cable is catching on the firewall. I forgot the guys screen name, but he has helped an unknown number of people with those issues. Might be the guy with over 400k miles on his Cobra.
I'd put money on some kind of adjustment issue.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
Is there any uneven wear or scoring on the TOB retainer? You didn't mention replacing it, but if the TOB destroyed itself, I would be surprised if it didn't do some damage to the retainer.

First-on-race-day

Established Member
Is there any uneven wear or scoring on the TOB retainer? You didn't mention replacing it, but if the TOB destroyed itself, I would be surprised if it didn't do some damage to the retainer.

Tob retainer looked okay. I will be changing fluid in a bit and adjusting the clutch cable again. Clutch pedal quadrant has multiple hooks that i can set it at. Will see from there

Roush6018

Established Member
hey i have some good news and some bad news. i have my t56 transmission and it does not grind. but it makes some other howling noise under load. i am using a mcloud clutch and new flywheel . the bad news is my transmission was having trouble shifting and trouble with clutch disengauge too. the problem was my crankshaft walking front to back when i push the clutch pedal down. the good news is i replaced my shortblock and my new clutch works perfect when i shift in all the gears. i am running synthetic atf in my T56.

you can take off the supercharger belt and take off the inner accessory belt, then measure the crankshaft thrust on the front of the harmonic balancer. it should not move much at all, if you are seeing a 1/4" of play you have a problem there, and that will affect your clutch operation.

First-on-race-day

Established Member
hey i have some good news and some bad news. i have my t56 transmission and it does not grind. but it makes some other howling noise under load. i am using a mcloud clutch and new flywheel . the bad news is my transmission was having trouble shifting and trouble with clutch disengauge too. the problem was my crankshaft walking front to back when i push the clutch pedal down. the good news is i replaced my shortblock and my new clutch works perfect when i shift in all the gears. i am running synthetic atf in my T56.

you can take off the supercharger belt and take off the inner accessory belt, then measure the crankshaft thrust on the front of the harmonic balancer. it should not move much at all, if you are seeing a 1/4" of play you have a problem there, and that will affect your clutch operation.

Guy dont tell me that. Scaring me. So far clutch adjustment not making a difference. Made it tighter and changed slot on quadrant. Now changing to syncromesh fluid

First-on-race-day

Established Member
Well i re adjusted clutch and changed to syncromesh and same issue. 2nd gear has not grinded today. Im starting to think that i slightly damaged my 4th gear maybe right before my tob went. Just going to drive it as is for a while. Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

First-on-race-day

Established Member
More damn issues. Now its also going lean during wot. Afr at wot usually was around 11.4-11.7 now its reading 12.0-12.8
Anyone else get tired of these cars being old?

First-on-race-day

Established Member
Yep old car really just needs to be completely re done front to back. Update on the transmission. It defenately developed a internal issues. Gets stuck in 3rd and 4th now anytime i go into those gears. Will be taking it out and taking to get rebuilt

Roush6018

Established Member
hey my 03 cobra engine was used from ebay. i installed it myself and ran a 2.93 RR pulley. the problem was caused by me or my friend putting the jack right on the oil pan. then on the way home did a long pull and it spun a rod bearing. when i got that crank repaired and reinstalled, about 5k miles later my clutch would not disengage at high rpm. i checked the crankshaft thrust measurement and it was too much. it just rocked front to back. this failure caused my clutch to not work very good, the adjustment would be good, then driving it would not shift.

i did try a 3rd time with that crankshaft and it ran good but seemed like slight rod knock at idle due to the crank at min thickness at that point.

many days later i have a new crankshaft and a Mcloud twin disc clutch and my engine sounds OK not great (my JBA shorty headers are leaking now) and my clutch works perfect even in the worst traffic. the shifter i use is a steeda tri-ax. i have rebuilt the t-56 with viper spec 5th and 6th gears and i recommend that MOD to the transmission.

if you are running a stock alternator, i recommend a j2 alternator.

Users who are viewing this thread