T56 Magnum or Upgraded rebuild?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Well if you run your car it benefits from being Lighter, NVH, and if it does break, you wont have the risk of it busting up the undercarriage or doing any severe damage of the cab., cause it will most likely shatter.
Pretty much sums it up.
Best choice in driveshaft material if you have the coin.
-J

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Finally purchased the T56 magnum, pending delivery. Curious as to what shifter you Magnum guys are using? How is the red shifter that comes with it? should i consider swapping it out the shifter/handle? I'm currently using a Steeda, not bad but it feels like I have to reach far.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I havent tried any of the other shifters, I have no complaints with the red base.

Definitely RTV it on there, replace the mounting bolts with ones with low profile heads to avoid hitting the trans tunnel (had to do it on my front bolts). If you can find it I highly recommend Tremecs own trans fluid for it, it made a notable difference in mine.

MG0h3

Established Member
Take a look at the seal that’s in the bottom of the shifter.

I’m about to replace my second one in two years.

Buddy’s brand new magnum had a torn seal too!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

DCguy

Established Member
Finally purchased the T56 magnum, pending delivery. Curious as to what shifter you Magnum guys are using? How is the red shifter that comes with it? should i consider swapping it out the shifter/handle? I'm currently using a Steeda, not bad but it feels like I have to reach far.

A few shifters to choose from..
Hanlon motorsports
Bowler
Tick Performance just came out with one

I went with the White Lightning from American Powertrain because they have an option to choose an offset base for the handle.....I went with the 1.75in offset to bring the handle back a bit further.....along with a Sikky 10in tall 1.5in offset handle.....bringing the total offset to 3.25in toward the rear....

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Will going with a different brand shifter fix the issue with the seal? Or do they all have that two deal design?

I don't actually own a Magnum trans. Just going off what I've read.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Will going with a different brand shifter fix the issue with the seal? Or do they all have that two deal design?

I don't actually own a Magnum trans. Just going off what I've read.

I have no personal experience (yet), but I heard the TICK shifter eliminates the inside shifter seal. The top seal is still used. This one can be seen on the topside of the shifter.

Last edited:

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Oh man! reading about all these shifter seal issue already has me concerned. One day you read how great a tranny this is and then you here about ali the little issues.

Well its on the way, i guess ill experience it first hand soon.

On the other hand will the hurst tall chrome shifter work with the Magnum red base

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Oh man! reading about all these shifter seal issue already has me concerned. One day you read how great a tranny this is and then you here about ali the little issues.

On the other hand will the hurst tall chrome shifter work with the Magnum red baseball
Super minor issue if you were to have it but I’ve had 2 new Magnums in the last 7yrs and no issues. Tremec makes outstanding transmissions and the Magnum line up is killer. I can’t wait to try the TKX in my Coyote swapped Fox too!
-J

MG0h3

Established Member
I have no personal experience (yet), but I heard the TICK shifter eliminates the inside shifter seal. The top seal is still used. This one can be seen on the topside of the shifter.

The bottom of that shifter absolutely has a different seal than the factory magnum one.

I wasn’t even aware they offered aftermarket shifters. May look into this before I slap a new seal in tomorrow.

If it’s a big wait, I’ll have one more seal failure on the way lol.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MG0h3

Established Member

On the other hand will the hurst tall chrome shifter work with the Magnum red base

It’s a pretty quick fix.

Takes longer getting the car on stands than anything.

Unhook X/H at mufflers

Jack under trans.

Remove trans crossmember to car bolts.

Lower trans enough to get front boots from shifter out.

I’m debating cutting the tunnel back so I don’t have to get under the car. Have to build some tabs so that piece is removable.

03' White Snake

Established Member
The bottom of that shifter absolutely has a different seal than the factory magnum one.

I wasn’t even aware they offered aftermarket shifters. May look into this before I slap a new seal in tomorrow.

Yea, the write up says it uses a o-ring seal inside. I might try this shifter out too. It’s cheaper than I remember.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
It’s a pretty quick fix.

Takes longer getting the car on stands than anything.

Unhook X/H at mufflers

Jack under trans.

Remove trans crossmember to car bolts.

Lower trans enough to get front boots from shifter out.

I’m debating cutting the tunnel back so I don’t have to get under the car. Have to build some tabs so that piece is removable.

We looked at this on mine - with the Moroso road race oil pan and Steeda K this wouldnt work, you can't tip it back hardly at all because the front of the pan hits. Just something to be aware of

MG0h3

Established Member
We looked at this on mine - with the Moroso road race oil pan and Steeda K this wouldnt work, you can't tip it back hardly at all because the front of the pan hits. Just something to be aware of

Yikes.

Well you’d just have to cut the tunnel back a few inches.

I may just do this tomorrow or Friday.

$5 piece of sheet metal that overlaps. Wouldn’t even need to weld captive nuts in place since the original hole would allow access.

03' White Snake

Established Member

Same with this shifter.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Yikes.

Well you’d just have to cut the tunnel back a few inches.

I may just do this tomorrow or Friday.

$5 piece of sheet metal that overlaps. Wouldn’t even need to weld captive nuts in place since the original hole would allow access.

take pics if you do, so far I haven't been able to bring myself to cut into the trans tunnel

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Super minor issue if you were to have it but I’ve had 2 new Magnums in the last 7yrs and no issues. Tremec makes outstanding transmissions and the Magnum line up is killer. I can’t wait to try the TKX in my Coyote swapped Fox too!
-J
Appreciate the info.

MG0h3

Established Member
Waiting for a call from Hanlon. Bob and Andrew out with the Cron.

The pic almost looks like it’s the same seal up inside.

I’ll research the others tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread