T56 Magnum vs RSG T56 magnum tranzilla

sickass50

Established Member
I'm trying to decide what transmission to buy for my TT car and I'm looking at these two transmissions and I'm not sure what the difference is between the two. The RSG T56 magnum is rated at 850 ft lbs whereas the standard Magnum from Tremec is rated at 750. RSG's website doesn't show much info as to what the differences are which give it the higher hp rating and they are asking a good bit more than what a standard magnum costs. If anyone knows the difference please let me know.

http://www.rsgear.com/products/tremec_t56/tremec_t56.asp
vs.
Welcome to D&D Performance - T-56 Magnum 6 Speed Transmission

I just want to know if the extra cost is worth it.

Last edited:

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
"I'm trying to decide what transmission to buy for my TT car" Looks like you dont want to take full advantage of those turbos and still risk blowing up a transmission. :shrug:

InvisibleBlade

Highway to Hell
Established Member
lol, it's still broken.

On a side note, I understand why people say an auto is "better," but some people still like to row the gears. I know that when I go that route, I'm sticking with a built T56. I will NEVER put an auto in my car. Not trying to start a war, just saying just cause it might be the "right" way doesn't mean we have to do it that way. Different strokes for different folks. :beer:

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
You won't be blowing up any transmissions especially with a turbo. The factory T-56 holds up very well. The power rating given are very misleading. For strength all that's really needed in the 26 spine input shaft. Transmission failures are very rare in these cars unless your speed/power shifting and doing 5000 rpm clutch dumps or just abusing it. Do enough of that and you will bring even a Magnum to it's knees

The main benefit of buying a Magnum is smoother shifting. Strength wise I don't think your gunna see much difference.

sickass50

Established Member
You won't be blowing up any transmissions especially with a turbo. The factory T-56 holds up very well. The power rating given are very misleading. For strength all that's really needed in the 26 spine input shaft. Transmission failures are very rare in these cars unless your speed/power shifting and doing 5000 rpm clutch dumps or just abusing it. Do enough of that and you will bring even a Magnum to it's knees

The main benefit of buying a Magnum is smoother shifting. Strength wise I don't think your gunna see much difference.
Damn their website hates me i guess... Anyways

149946_1557369489687_1098720245_31429434_520197_n.jpg

That was the 26 spline in my built T56... sold it and looking to upgrade:thumbsup:

sickass50

Established Member
lol, it's still broken.

On a side note, I understand why people say an auto is "better," but some people still like to row the gears. I know that when I go that route, I'm sticking with a built T56. I will NEVER put an auto in my car. Not trying to start a war, just saying just cause it might be the "right" way doesn't mean we have to do it that way. Different strokes for different folks. :beer:

I agree, I had almost pulled the trigger on a TH400 and realized I'd hate it bc i enjoy driving the car with a manual. It will still be a 9 second car with the 6 speed and will still be able to run mile events as well(What i built the car for).

arc00ta

Established Member
I've never used a T56 Magnum but I've driven a variety of built T56's and stock, and I like the Tranzilla a lot. I would not have paid for it myself but it came in the car already. Shifts like butter hot, cold, 500rpm to 6500rpm. Its quieter than the stock T56's I've had as well.

Black Sex

Established Member
Not trying to get this thread off track but for those that have gone to a Magnum with the .50 6th gear, how does that affect the spedometer? I would like a Magnum just for the added overdrive (I have 4.10s), smoother shifts, and higher power capacity.

Digital

Established Member
There are kits made for the t56 for about 1500-2000$ that will upgrade all the planetary gears and all the main shafts and every piece to cryo treated ones. That's really the best you can do right now. Call promotion and tell them you want to see 8s with your T56 and what they recommend.

sickass50

Established Member
Not trying to get this thread off track but for those that have gone to a Magnum with the .50 6th gear, how does that affect the spedometer? I would like a Magnum just for the added overdrive (I have 4.10s), smoother shifts, and higher power capacity.

It wouldn't affect the speedo as the speedo sensor is on the end of the mainshaft. which will be spinning faster with the .50 6th gear

speedfreak94

Established Member
Hey sickass, SlowSVT is right on the money with the exception of one thing--the Magnum IS a stronger trans the the original Cobra T-56. However, much like he said, T-56's are generally underrated. The problem is that not all T-56s and TR-6060s are created equal. Companies like Rockland understand this and pick n' pull from all the different offerings to create the best possible combos--as well as adding many of their own custom pieces.

To again second SlowSVT, typically trans failures are not an issue of power as much as they are about how the power is delivered. You can milk the most from your combo ET-wise by going to some faceplated monster, as long as you don't mind sacrificing 'streetability' in a major way. If you want to be able to enjoy the car around town and occasionally hit a weekend test-n-tune, then hit the tires a little softer and give up a couple tenths between shifts to make it live. If you can live with that idea, then I think you'll be pleased with the Magnum. I have been.

speedfreak94

Established Member
Oh... and to anwser your main question about what the difference is between a regular Magnum and a RSG Magnum (other than a fair amount of coin), you should call and ask them. The guys at Rockland are truly some of the very best T-56/TR-6060/Magnum guys anywhere.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Hey sickass, SlowSVT is right on the money with the exception of one thing--the Magnum IS a stronger trans the the original Cobra T-56. However, much like he said, T-56's are generally underrated. The problem is that not all T-56s and TR-6060s are created equal. Companies like Rockland understand this and pick n' pull from all the different offerings to create the best possible combos--as well as adding many of their own custom pieces.

To again second SlowSVT, typically trans failures are not an issue of power as much as they are about how the power is delivered. You can milk the most from your combo ET-wise by going to some faceplated monster, as long as you don't mind sacrificing 'streetability' in a major way. If you want to be able to enjoy the car around town and occasionally hit a weekend test-n-tune, then hit the tires a little softer and give up a couple tenths between shifts to make it live. If you can live with that idea, then I think you'll be pleased with the Magnum. I have been.

If the T-56 450 hp rating was accurate then there would be scores of Terminators up on jack stands and lots of post from unhappy owners moaning about the T-56. In reality you just don't hear this as being a weak link in the drive train. Switching from the 10 spline input shaft to a 26 spine shaft is what is largely responsible for the increase in torque rating. Considering what these cars are capable of the T-56 is a pretty impressive gear box.

There is always one or two in the group with think its the transmission's fault whenever they break something. Treat the T-56 right and you will never break it even at elevated power levels. I read a review on the T-56 Magnum and what I found was the syncros were upgraded and narrowed to accommodate somewhat wider gears and it probably has bronze shifting forks instead of steel with nylon thrust faces. Other then that I did not hear of any changes that made the Magnum vastly stronger. The only reason I would upgrade to a Magnum is for improved shifting action. The T-56 is pretty notchy but failures in these cars are pretty rare. The price of the magnum is not too expensive but to upgrade the T-56 is probably cheaper.

If you drag race a lot and place reliability high on the priority list then a automatic is a better choice :xpl:………chances are you will break that too :nonono:

speedfreak94

Established Member
I have to disagree with you, SlowSVT. We recognize that the T-56 is a good box, but to say that you will "never" break it due to elevated power levels is a bit of a stretch. Furthermore, there is a lot more to the Magnum than a mere synchro upgrade I assure you.

SickAss, there are a variety of things that could have eventually led to damage like that... For starters the input is the one gear that is made to carry torque constantly. Start pouring the coals to it the way you are with a TT Cobra and you've accerated the intended duty cycle of that part tremendously. Another possibility is that the pocket bearing became worn, allowed the input to move just slightly away from the cluster, and wa-la--chunky steel soup. Yet another possibility could be 'fretting' caused from using certain race-oriented synthetic lubes. Once you wear through the case hardened surface on a gear, the rest of it may as well be made of jello for all the power you're throwing at it.

Don't loose faith man, and don't go the auto route! Call RSG, if that's what you've had in mind and they'll be able to set you right. Just be honest with them about what it is you're trying to acheive and how you intend to use the car. There are plenty of other Tremec shops (Liberty, Hanlon, ProMotion, etc.) that are capable of helping you too. Best of luck and sorry for the hijack!

SlowSVT

Established Member
I have to disagree with you, SlowSVT. We recognize that the T-56 is a good box, but to say that you will "never" break it due to elevated power levels is a bit of a stretch. Furthermore, there is a lot more to the Magnum than a mere synchro upgrade I assure you.

SickAss, there are a variety of things that could have eventually led to damage like that... For starters the input is the one gear that is made to carry torque constantly. Start pouring the coals to it the way you are with a TT Cobra and you've accerated the intended duty cycle of that part tremendously. Another possibility is that the pocket bearing became worn, allowed the input to move just slightly away from the cluster, and wa-la--chunky steel soup. Yet another possibility could be 'fretting' caused from using certain race-oriented synthetic lubes. Once you wear through the case hardened surface on a gear, the rest of it may as well be made of jello for all the power you're throwing at it.

Don't loose faith man, and don't go the auto route! Call RSG, if that's what you've had in mind and they'll be able to set you right. Just be honest with them about what it is you're trying to acheive and how you intend to use the car. There are plenty of other Tremec shops (Liberty, Hanlon, ProMotion, etc.) that are capable of helping you too. Best of luck and sorry for the hijack!

What part of this statement don't you agree with?

"Treat the T-56 right and you will never break it even at elevated power levels"

"mincing" my statement like you did tends to open it up to interpretation.

Transmission don't blow-up by themselves. They need a bloke at the controls to accomplish that and with one of those it won't take long for that to happen regardless of what gearbox you use. Whether the Magnum is a vastly superior transmission or not. At the end of the day all it needs to do is hold-up under the power. Something the T-56 has proven for many years. Yes, the Magnum is a better tranny and would be a great replacement should one blow up their T-56.

At the end of the day: Drag racing = broken parts

All other forms of driving ............ not so much

b4409

Established Member
Bringing back a thread from the dead, has anyone been through this lately? I'm thinking a TRANZILLA for the road race car might be the answer. Close ratios.

Users who are viewing this thread