T56 Rebuild???

ZOSO

colorados baddest eaton
Established Member
Anyone here rebuild their T56? Mines makin some noise and getting harder to get in gears. Clutch has been done and is adjusted. Was thinkin of pulling it and going thru it this winter. Anyone have info on it? Like a manual to follow and a place to get bearings and parts?

gargstang

Established Member
I've never been in a T56 but have done a T5 before. Similar concepts I'd say. You thinking upgrading rings, forks, and such? Sounds like you and I both have some tranny work to do this winter.

03zincyellowsvt

Established Member
i will be building my tranny this year as well, its not broke but its out and id like to not have to pull it again next year cuz that will be the weakest point. i will probly be getting my parts from here:D&D Performance - D&D Performance T-56 6 Speed Parts

unless someone can point me in the direction of someplace cheaper. but my rebuild will consist of rebuilding the syncros, viper spec output shaft, bronze shift fork pads, steel 3/4 shift fork, billet 3/4 inserts, all new bearings and whatever else i find wrong once im inside there.

ZOSO

colorados baddest eaton
Established Member
I've never been in a T56 but have done a T5 before. Similar concepts I'd say. You thinking upgrading rings, forks, and such? Sounds like you and I both have some tranny work to do this winter.

Yep. Just that. Mine I believe is input shaft noise. A bearing or something as when in neutral with the clutch out you can hear it rattle. push in the clutch and it goes away. And it's not the throw out bearing. Gonna drain the fluid and see if there is any metal in it. Been gettin worse the more I drive it. First problem I've had with the car since day 1. 36k on it with 18k on the 26spline input. And a lot of 5000+rpm launches.

i will be building my tranny this year as well, its not broke but its out and id like to not have to pull it again next year cuz that will be the weakest point. i will probly be getting my parts from here:D&D Performance - D&D Performance T-56 6 Speed Parts

unless someone can point me in the direction of someplace cheaper. but my rebuild will consist of rebuilding the syncros, viper spec output shaft, bronze shift fork pads, steel 3/4 shift fork, billet 3/4 inserts, all new bearings and whatever else i find wrong once im inside there.

D&D is what I was looking for. I haven't looked into this anywhere else so I guess it's time to search it all up.

Thanks for the link.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Lots of info including the service manual in PDF format:

TTC: TREMEC Transmissions

Good stuff here too:

[ame=http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1209313]What I learned rebuilding a T56 (with pics!) - Corral.net : Ford Mustang Forums[/ame]

A T-5 rebuild is simple, but you'll definitely need more time and tools to tackle the T-56!

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
I replace broken 3-4 shift keys and the blocker ring when it got stuck in 4th one day. Wasnt hard at all. Since then ive been through 2- 10 splines, so i went with a 26 now it grinds going into 4th if you dont let it come down to idle when you shift. Looks like shes coming out again.

Users who are viewing this thread