T56 transmission which one to buy?

johno71

Hello everyone,
I am in the process of building a 4v turbo motor for my mustang. Its going to be a street driven car with except for the 1 or 2 times a year I get the bug to go to the drag strip. The motor should make 900 - 1000rwhp. Its time to buy a transmission. I am looking at 2 transmissions. Either a bone stock t56 magnum or a t56 ultimate road race transmission from tick racing. The road racing t56 definitely has a lot of nice features I just don't know if I need to spend double the cost of a stock t56 for my intended use. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
John

03venomdsg

Established Member
I bought the level 5 magnum from tick minus the bungs and sprayers, only recommended if doing long top speed 160+ runs by them. It shifts great, granted I'm only a little over 600whp right now but plan to go to your range in the future. I tend to over prepare when I upgrade though. Side note highly recommend amsoil full syn atf, ran 2 other atfs and had issues. Shifts like butter with the amsoil.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
I think a stock Magnum would be fine. Also, get the 2.66 1st gear model.

Street tires/drag radials and road surfaces will be the limiting factor in the stress applied to the drivetrain. When you go to the track, walk it out instead of 6k rpm clutch drops.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I agree with @9397SVTs's post. A stock MAGNUM (not a stock regular T-56) should be fine for your application. And the 2.66 1st gear.

Users who are viewing this thread