T56 won't go into 6th.

Big Top GT

Jackstand Racer
Established Member
I'm going to light this piece of crap on fire... *ugh*

I don't know if it's the tranny that's the issue or if it's the clutch that's the problem, but I'm just about at the end of my rope. It's an 03/04 Cobra T56 in a 98 Cobra.

I just installed a new 03 Cobra clutch cable and I have a firewall adjuster, but the pedal is so stiff it feels like the cable is going to break. (No matter where it's adjusted.) It's pretty obvious that the <100 mile Spec Stage 3 clutch is bad.

When I'm driving the car down the road, I can get the car into any gear except 6th. It'll go in once in a while, but usually it just grinds.

Does it seem likely that the clutch is the issue, or the tranny itself? I'm open to any and all suggestions at this point.

I hate this car.

Last edited:

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
Does it seem likely that the clutch is the issue, or the tranny itself? I'm open to any and all suggestions at this point.

I hate this car.[/QUOTE]

What kinda of oil is in the transmission and how long ago was it changed?

ervis

Established Member
that sounds like the trans bro (6th gear syncro). did you do anything as far as racing or high spped runs before you noticed the problem?

Big Top GT

Jackstand Racer
Established Member
that sounds like the trans bro (6th gear syncro). did you do anything as far as racing or high spped runs before you noticed the problem?

This tranny has LITERALLY less than 200 miles on it in a car that's untuned.

I can't drive the car hard.

So again, unless Dave King is a liar, this tranny has no miles on it after a rebuild. I'm going to drop it off to Promotion Powertrain on Monday to have them go through it. Hopefully it checks out.

Big Top GT

Jackstand Racer
Established Member
Just curious what the problem was?

Sorry man. I hate it when people do what I just did. Ask a bunch of questions, get a ton of help, and then never come back to tell everyone what was wrong.

It turns out, when the tranny was gone through, the person who worked on it didn't put it back together properly. It snapped the slider (if that's what it's called) and wore out the synchro. (They said something about it all riding against the cone.)

The ProMotion Powertrain fixed it and said "it looks like someone sand blasted 6th gear."

Nice to buy stuff from people who are "reputable" only to find a "0 mile rebuild" needs another 300 dollars in work.

To be fair, it could have happened to anyone and I have to admit fault insofar as I shouldn't have waited so long to get it in the car.

It still sucks, though.

Users who are viewing this thread