TACPs In Here

Sirraf

Established Member
I have been tossing the idea around of getting back into the military. I am prior service E-5 Air Force Security Forces. I just got out thinking the civi life would be awesome and in reality it sucks balls. AF aren't taking prior service guys at all right now but the ANG unit in Savannah, GA have ALOT of open TACP slots. If there was one job I always wanted to do, it was TACP. I did alot of growing up since being out so I know this is what I want. I have to get back in shape and smoke this PAST test and then train even harder before I go to the schoolhouse.

Anyways, any TACPers give me any tips/advice or insight on the career field? Training regiment? I know the PAST test isn't as difficult as CCT PJ anymore from what I gather. How do you guys like the job and what would I do as a guardsmen? I would want to deploy my ass off.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I was Marine Security Forces as well. O e of my friends is TACP and he's always been trying to recruit me over to them. Sounds like a sweet job and the chance to be in SOCOM is a dream. I just talked to him and he's getting out, as am I, but I told him if I absolutely have to go back in then I'm gonna go that route next time. Good luck!

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Search this forum for a link to another forum, I can't remember it's name but it's something like quietprofessionals or something like that. It is very informative and has the info you are looking for.

myersusaf

Go Hawks!
Established Member
Well i just retrained into medical from Communications, I was most recently at a TACP Sq (5th ASOS) Ft lewis. Those young guys have it rough early on. Good dudes though, be ready to PT. We did PT every morning from 0730-0930, which is badass because it it part of the workday. You will almost be always stationed on an Army base supporting brigades/division/....etc. There are on some Ranger positions as well once you get in, but there is a selection process for that. Truly the physical part is the easiest, you have to be proficient on your comms these days. PRC 117-G, PRC-150...etc. Let me know if you have specific Q's, if i can't answer them i know someone who can. Good Luck

myersusaf

Go Hawks!
Established Member
I was Marine Security Forces as well. O e of my friends is TACP and he's always been trying to recruit me over to them. Sounds like a sweet job and the chance to be in SOCOM is a dream. I just talked to him and he's getting out, as am I, but I told him if I absolutely have to go back in then I'm gonna go that route next time. Good luck!

Is your friend at the 5th?

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I don't know for sure. I believe he's at Fort Lewis but I've never talked to him about the specifics of his unit.

Users who are viewing this thread