Takatas airbag remedy is available

KushBandit

Established Member
Just thought I'd give you guys a heads up. I just got a letter from Ford today, letting me know that the driver side airbag fix is now available.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Yes, on 2011-2012 models. Guys with 2013/2014 models have to wait several more months until they are available.

KushBandit

Established Member
Yeah, the letter I got from Ford was pretty vague. It basically said parts are available for my car and to take it in. The shitty thing is, I just looked up my VIN and as of last month, the passenger airbag inflater has a recall as well.

I'm going to call tomorrow and find out more info.

Shredd

Established Member
Does anybody know if the dealer mess with the tune if I bring in car for recall?
I am running E85 and dont want them to change the tune. Do I tell them or ask them not to mess with it?
I have an appointment next week.

Last edited:

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
Does anybody know if the dealer mess with the tune if I bring in car for recall?
I am running E85 and dont want them to change the tune. Do I tell them or ask them not to mess with it?
I have an appointment next week.

The recall just replaces the inflator. Does not require connecting the IDS at all.

wellby

Established Member
When I had my new from Ford airbag installed this week at the body shop on my 2013 they had to hook up the computer to reprogram the module and as built data for the dash to shut off the airbag light on the dash. my car is tuned and I had no problems after.

bdcardinal

Established Member
Premium Member
The recall does not require any programming. When you had your airbag replaced due to deployment, they are required to install a new airbag monitor/control unit, all airbags are called modules in Ford parts language, and the new monitor had to be programmed.

bdcardinal

Established Member
Premium Member
This is what the driver's side inflator looks like. This is all that is replaced under the recall. I forget what model this is from, it could also be from a Mazda 6 or RX-8.

4851501B-1F78-43C7-971E-ACD7D91F7B38_zps45hwa3za.jpg

bdcardinal

Established Member
Premium Member
If a technician gets the car right away it should take less than an hour for the driver's inflator. Usually the longest part of any car in a dealer service department is waiting for a technician to get to working on it.

Shredd

Established Member
How long did it take? Not leaving my car at the dealer.

Dropped it off at 9am and the called me around 11am said it was ready. They said it would take a half a day was the reason I didn't wait for it and to my surprise it was ready in couple hours.

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Yeah, I took my car in for a trans inspection, which it goes back next week for the rebuild, and they did the air bag while it was there for the day. The parts happen to come back in that same day, fortunately. this was about 3-4 weeks ago.

Users who are viewing this thread